Who do you want as head coach?

copper4eva

1 minute ago, AUwent said:

Fair enough, but who then would you suggest?

I like a lot of the names in this thread: Cristabol is probably my top choice. I like what Mark Stoops has done at UK too. Others are James Franklin and PJFleck. As a dark horse, I like Chris Klieman at K State. He churned championship at NDSU, his K State teams play as sound as anyone, and he develops players. 

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had Jboy playing in the background and heard a Mike Norvell reference.  I’m would of had him in the mix if he was still the Memphis job but I need to see him turnaround the FSU mess before I’d replace Gus with him.

30 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

I like a lot of the names in this thread: Cristabol is probably my top choice. I like what Mark Stoops has done at UK too. Others are James Franklin and PJFleck. As a dark horse, I like Chris Klieman at K State. He churned championship at NDSU, his K State teams play as sound as anyone, and he develops players. 

IDK how confident I am we can get or afford them. We may have to end up waiting for next year--if his odd year luck doesn't buy him another year, then pull it then. If it does, then well, we have another win over UAT and extra $ off the contract, and then when when the even year blues kick in again in '22, do it then.

(Reading the r/CFB thread on this doesn't exactly inspire confidence in me that we could get someone much better...)

Best I can tell, Kris Richard is available right now.  

He was the secondary coach for the Legion of Boom in Seattle.  When Dan Quinn took the ATL job Richard was promoted to DC, a job he held for three years before making a lateral move to Dallas.  He's a young Pete Carroll of color.

He was getting interviews to be an NFL head coach before he found himself tethered to Jason Garrett's sinking ship.  I don't follow the Cowboys, so I'm wondering what the Texans on the board think about him.

WDE!

I think Mario Cristobal will find his way back south, perhaps to the SEC.

I think Neal Brown (WV, formerly Troy) may become a hot commodity if he has a good year at WV. WV is the worst Power 5 job in the country, tough recruiting area, 1,000 miles away from most of their conference opponents, etc. I have to think Brown does not want to make that a career stop.

Bill Clark is going to be a hot commodity soon. Some say he already is, but he is happy where he is. But at some point a Power 5 school comes with a truckload of cash.

Josh Heupel is another one who will likely be targeted by a Power 5 school with an opening.

What does that mean for Auburn? Who knows.

3 hours ago, Win4AU said:

I had Jboy playing in the background and heard a Mike Norvell reference.  I’m would of had him in the mix if he was still the Memphis job but I need to see him turnaround the FSU mess before I’d replace Gus with him.

I really liked Norvell when he was at Memphis, but FSU is a mess. He might not escape unscathed.

I do think the "hot coordinator" or "hot Group of 5 coach" is exactly the wrong approach. Nor is the super charismatic type that can give a great speech necessarily the right hire.

I would first ask: Are the a program coach? Do they run a consistent program, drama free. Do they hire solid assistants. Are egos across the staff kept in check?

Second: Recruiting. Do they evaluate talent well? Do they consistently recruit well? Are "recruiting busts" rare?

Third: Are they known for developing talent? Are they they type that turn 3-star recruits into 4-star players and 4-star recruits into 5-star players, or the reverse?

Fourth: Do they put a consistent product on the field week in and week out, or is it up and down? Do their teams power through emotions, or are they overcome by them?

6 hours ago, chizhead said:

Throwing money up a hogs ass and hollering "sooooeeee"

Have already done that. And now Arky is hollering "sooooeee"

11 hours ago, AUwent said:

Reading the r/CFB thread on this doesn't exactly inspire confidence in me that we could get someone much better..

At some point it crosses over from not getting someone better, to why keep paying this guy to run the program into the ground. We’ve officially passed that point. 

On 10/19/2020 at 6:43 AM, gc2525 said:

Why?  You obliviously do not know good coaching when you see it....forget about the past and think of what have you done lately.  Think he would be a great hire.  Lots of connections and would provide a national recruiting base. He would be in my top 5 for sure. 

If we are going to forget about the past, then I guess Freeze is in the conversation...

Just my opinion. Even though Urban an Bob say they are retired and not looking due to health issues, if the cash is right, either one of those guys could become Auburn's new head coach.

If Texas does dump Herman, which at this point in time seems likely, they will probably go after one of the hot names most of us prefer, like Cristobal and Fleck. Auburn has money, but Texas has MONEY. 

rumor im seeing on a few auburn boards is that the following would be top three to replace Gus whenever a change is made

Billy Napier

Mario Cristobal

Matt Campbell

IMO if that rumor is true  and if they fire Gus this year i think they hire Napier or promote from within with Steele or Garner   if they want Campbell or Cristobal i think they'll wait till next year and hope both are still available

25 minutes ago, KnightTiger said:

rumor im seeing on a few auburn boards is that the following would be top three to replace Gus whenever a change is made

Billy Napier

Mario Cristobal

Matt Campbell

IMO if that rumor is true  and if they fire Gus this year i think they hire Napier or promote from within with Steele or Garner   if they want Campbell or Cristobal i think they'll wait till next year and hope both are still available

I don’t believe the Campbell due to the fact he has a sizable buyout we would have to pay to get him here. 

3 hours ago, wcware said:

We made players ride the bus back from USCe. We couldn’t afford Rush Probst(sp)

Maybe they weren't given any other option. 🤷‍♂️

23 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Cristobal

Tony Elliot

Josh Heupel

Brandon Streeter

Neal Brown

Phil Longo

Billy Napier

Chris Klieman

People won't be happy about this but I see someone along the lines of Billy Napier as a real possibility for AU. I think the biggest splash would be someone like Mario.

2 minutes ago, DAG said:

People won't be happy about this but I see someone along the lines of Billy Napier as a real possibility for AU. I think the biggest splash would be someone like Mario.

I'd take Elliot over Napier if Mario passed. I don't think Mario would pass, FWIW.

4 minutes ago, bigbird said:

I'd take Elliot over Napier if Mario passed. I don't think Mario would pass, FWIW.

I like Tony Elliot. People like to use the phrase "Auburn Man." Well, he has lived that. Graduated with Clemson with a very good degree. Was a very good student and quality player.  Worked his way up at Clemson and has learned from one of the best. You cannot go wrong with that. I think him and Mario would build great rapport with future and current recruits as well.

36 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Suddenly I feel like the best thing we have going for us is that most of the other premier gigs feel fairly solid for now. Even Pruitt just got locked in. And guys like Kiffin and Freeze are in great level-up/rehab situations. A boy can dream. 

48 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Why? I see absolutely nothing in Elliot's resume that I'd take over Billy Napier even looking past the fact that Napier is actually in his 3rd season as a HC. 

Archived