Who do you want as head coach?

copper4eva

Some on here just don’t get it.   Guys like Franklin, Meyer and Stoops aren’t coming to Auburn.   Period!   Auburn can’t attract or for other reasons only known to the real insiders, won’t hire the type of coaches that are capable of building something special.   Look at the hires since Shug.  

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, auburn4ever said:

My top 3. James Franklin, Mario Cristabol, Billy Napier. After those, I'd go for Urban Meyer, Bob Stoops, PJ Fleck.

Napier is the only realistic one of those six I think.

6 minutes ago, aubaseball said:

Some on here just don’t get it.   Guys like Franklin, Meyer and Stoops aren’t coming to Auburn.   Period!   Auburn can’t attract or for other reasons only known to the real insiders, won’t hire the type of coaches that are capable of building something special.   Look at the hires since Shug.  

To be fair all four coaches in the CFP last year were internally promoted. And Kirby’s highest ranking was DC. So we don’t necessarily need a Meyer or Stoops.

Now that we’ve created a list of probably 50+ names, we’re gonna need to whittle it down to the top 3-5 before we give it to Allen Greene. 

3 hours ago, rophle said:

Now that we’ve created a list of probably 50+ names, we’re gonna need to whittle it down to the top 3-5 before we give it to Allen Greene. 

1. Cristobal

2. Tony Elliot

3. Billy Napier

4. Neal Brown

5. Mike Yurcich

6. Mel Tucker

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

1. Cristobal

2. Tony Elliot

3. Billy Napier

4. Neal Brown

5. Mike Yurcich

6. Mel Tucker

Love 1, also really like 2. Also 5 I think is a dark horse. How you feel about Luke Fickell or PJ Fleck? 

5 hours ago, rophle said:

I have agreed to lend my time and energies to lead this coaching search committee.  We are still working out the details.  I will be in touch with some of you before the second Tuesday of next week.  Please monitor your PMs as I am reaching out to some of you.  

Right now Cristobol and Yurcich are pretty high on the initial draft, among other names.  

And to the guy that sent me a message asking if Lou Holtz is interested - hey Lou was a great coach in his prime and did more for Ark, Minn and ND than anyone thought possible.   But, no.   You know I met the man once in 1977, I really did.  Great human being, but "no."  

(disclosure:  the part about meeting Lou Holtz is true and he is a great human being.  The rest?  Well, maybe, not so much. But if A Greene is reading this,  pls reach out to me.  I can help.)

1 hour ago, PigskinPat said:

I’ll throw a wildcard name out that hasn’t been mentioned: Dell McGee

Cousin Eddie.jpg

4 hours ago, bigbird said:

1. Cristobal

2. Tony Elliot

3. Billy Napier

4. Neal Brown

5. Mike Yurcich

6. Mel Tucker

His resume as an assistant is impressive.  He's been on my radar for a while.  

But I have a gnawing, nauseating suspicion it would be Les Miles.

WDE!

It must be October.  It's our annual endless thread on who could replace Gus.  

I think we can now call it an Auburn tradition.  Like turkey at thanksgiving.  Only it's less pleasant.  Perhaps fruitcake at Christmas would be a better analogy.

13 minutes ago, countoff said:

It must be October.  It's our annual endless thread on who could replace Gus.  

I think we can now call it an Auburn tradition.  Like turkey at thanksgiving.  Only it's less pleasant.  Perhaps fruitcake at Christmas would be a better analogy.

Consider this like having the creepy uncle at Thanksgiving!

18 hours ago, aubaseball said:

Franklin is at a program just as good no reason for him to leave. Don't want Meyer's scummy a**. Stoops would do what? Win 8-10 games with a bad defense and never win a championship except once every 10 years at most? 

The Stoops boner for some people is funny to me. He's better than we have but not what we need. Would rather have someone younger that could be here a while if successful (PJ Fleck is 39). Two of the people you mentioned are essentially retired. 

Auburn is looking to hit on a up and comer and I get that. You want the next Dabo not someone who is "established" but can't win the big game.

Last year showed you that coach O (a career average coach) with a great staff and elite recruiting can win big. Need elite not great recruiting and real assistants not good-ole-boys with an Auburn connection. I love Kodi Burns as a recruiter but he was hardly a real WR while he was here and he has no real coaching experience before Auburn.

Meanwhile Alabama hoards former head coaches for position coaches and off field analysts.

24 minutes ago, Zeek said:

Franklin is at a program just as good no reason for him to leave. Don't want Meyer's scummy a**. Stoops would do what? Win 8-10 games with a bad defense and never win a championship except once every 10 years at most? 

The Stoops boner for some people is funny to me. He's better than we have but not what we need. Would rather have someone younger that could be here a while if successful (PJ Fleck is 39). Two of the people you mentioned are essentially retired. 

Auburn is looking to hit on a up and comer and I get that. You want the next Dabo not someone who is "established" but can't win the big game.

Last year showed you that coach O (a career average coach) with a great staff and elite recruiting can win big. Need elite not great recruiting and real assistants not good-ole-boys with an Auburn connection. I love Kodi Burns as a recruiter but he was hardly a real WR while he was here and he has no real coaching experience before Auburn.

Meanwhile Alabama hoards former head coaches for position coaches and off field analysts.

That is my reservation with stoops. I am sure he would get paid a good penny but I don’t see him consistently getting over the hump. I still don’t see why some of you guys are making it super personal with UM though 

10 minutes ago, DAG said:

That is my reservation with stoops. I am sure he would get paid a good penny but I don’t see him consistently getting over the hump. I still don’t see why some of you guys are making it super personal with UM though 

Stoops level results would be a substantial upgrade over what we have now. Guy won 11-12 games constantly.

Just now, AUwent said:

Stoops level results would be a substantial upgrade over what we have now. Guy won 11-12 games constantly.

Correct but remember don’t get so caught on that. Stoops would want jimbo pay and probably Jimbo type security E.G. a big buyout . Therefore, the expectations is winning , winning, winning...not mark Richt winning . Like we need multiple NCs.

At this point, it really needs to be anybody but Gus. The law of averages has to be in our favor to hire the right guy after the last two bone-headed hires. People keep warning about becoming Tennessee or FSU; a couple of more years of Gus and that’s what we’ll be. He is sucking the life out of our football program with his mediocre results and geeky personality. The biggest statement we could make towards being serious about wanting excellence and not being willing to settle for mediocrity would be to fire Gus’ a** today (or maybe tomorrow after OM whips our a**), make Steele the interim, and go find the guy that would bring energy and toughness back to the program. I personally think Cristobal can be that guy. Waiting our Gus’ buyout is inviting another decade of wandering in football purgatory.

7 minutes ago, fredst said:

At this point, it really needs to be anybody but Gus. The law of averages has to be in our favor to hire the right guy after the last two bone-headed hires. People keep warning about becoming Tennessee or FSU; a couple of more years of Gus and that’s what we’ll be. He is sucking the life out of our football program with his mediocre results and geeky personality. The biggest statement we could make towards being serious about wanting excellence and not being willing to settle for mediocrity would be to fire Gus’ a** today (or maybe tomorrow after OM whips our a**), make Steele the interim, and go find the guy that would bring energy and toughness back to the program. I personally think Cristobal can be that guy. Waiting our Gus’ buyout is inviting another decade of wandering in football purgatory.

I tend to think we are already Tennessee 

14 minutes ago, AUwent said:

Gus would win 10 with the same schedule probably.     

I am not enamored with Stoops to say the least.   He made a lot of hay recruiting TX and really only had probably 3 tough games each year.  He met expectations for his talent level and competition, which is better than what we have.

But could Stoops win 9-11 every year in the SEC-W?  Doubt it.

I prefer someone like Cristobal or someone who has experienced the grind of the SEC.  

My number 1 would be Cristobal then Venables. 

14 hours ago, bigbird said:

1. Cristobal

Can always count on you to have excellent opinions.

Anyone who truly cares about the future of Auburn football and understands what long-term, sustainable PROGRAM BUILDING requires will understand why Cristobal is the ONLY choice.

15 minutes ago, Beaker said:

Gus would win 10 with the same schedule probably.     

I am not enamored with Stoops to say the least.   He made a lot of hay recruiting TX and really only had probably 3 tough games each year.  He met expectations for his talent level and competition, which is better than what we have.

But could Stoops win 9-11 every year in the SEC-W?  Doubt it.

I prefer someone like Cristobal or someone who has experienced the grind of the SEC.  

My number 1 would be Cristobal then Venables. 

If Stoops lost to teams on the level of USCe, Tennessee, and mediocre Georgia and A&M teams on a constant basis, I could agree. But for the most part he didn’t.

Liked only because I agree about BV.

29 minutes ago, fredst said:

I agree with most of this, Cristobal just doesn't do it for me, Veneables has won at the highest levels at multiple schools.

29 minutes ago, ChicagoAU said:

Can always count on you to have excellent opinions.

Anyone who truly cares about the future of Auburn football and understands what long-term, sustainable PROGRAM BUILDING requires will understand why Cristobal is the ONLY choice.

Because he’s done that before? Where?

Archived