Who do you want as head coach?

copper4eva

7 hours ago, Amwest20 said:

Yea let’s go with the coach of the ducks who Gus beat last year...What about Chris Peterson from Washington the year before, I actually think he’s unemployed we better snag him up!  

Seem to remember hiring the coach of the only SEC team we beat Bowdens fiasco last year. Then beat uat 6 straight. But hey never beating LSU, beating Georgia once in a blue moon, and uat at home most years is your idea of success more power to you. I just think mediocrity isn't acceptable for the money Gumboy is getting.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, DAG said:

You are entitled to your opinion but this is legit a big reason why we are where we are. You would take Fleck over UM for personal reasons.

OMG YES! Say it louder for the people in the back

16 hours ago, EagleEye67 said:

must.....resist.....

Why?  You obliviously do not know good coaching when you see it....forget about the past and think of what have you done lately.  Think he would be a great hire.  Lots of connections and would provide a national recruiting base. He would be in my top 5 for sure. 

7 hours ago, ToomersStreet said:

He retired.

When? There doesn't seem to be any drop-off at all in their team. Hell their QB is looking to be a top 5-10 pick. 

The argument still stands though. Why a nobody coach from a nobody school when you can have the best nobody from nowhere. 

11 hours ago, DAG said:

I am confused. How have the three above showed you they can compete with the big boys of the SEC? One was a coordinator. Joe Brady, who I really like, is a passing coordinator and Mario Cristobal loss to the only SEC team he faced as a HC. I am not against the people you have stated, just confused about your reasoning for eliminating the two head coaches, while propping up the other prospects.

Part of it is the hopeful unknown to me. Those 3 appear to have the best pedigree to me. There’s no clear cut #1 candidate to me.

As far as Fleck goes, I forgot that Minnesota was 11-2 last year with a win over #4 Penn State. I would still like to see him have another consistent year and at least make it to a conference championship before we make that move. I hate when Auburn throws millions of dollars at a guy over just one year. I would love to see consistency first.

RECRUIT! RECRUIT! RECRUIT! RECRUIT! RECRUIT! I want the absolute best and most elite recruiter that is a successful Head Coach that we can find. Schemes, what kind of offense and defense they run? That will all work itself out. We cannot keep falling further and further behind our 2 main rivals. We do not need top 10 classes anymore. We need top 5 classes. 

rrert.jpg

8 hours ago, wde1968 said:

Yea let’s go with the coach of the ducks who Gus beat last year...What about Chris Peterson from Washington the year before, I actually think he’s unemployed we better snag him up!  

Tuberville says hello.   By the way, I didn’t like that hire either.  

17 hours ago, DAG said:

Yep I remember that game vividly. That is when Clemsoning was still an adjective. Now it is a distant memory.

Not so distant for AU.  If CGM is fired in-season that DC will likely be our interim HC, if not the next guy outright.

WDE!

Because frivolous research topics are a pastime of mine and the need to find a cheap, suitable replace for Gus is of utmost importance, might I suggest:

Steve Ryan https://www.msidemustangs.com/sport/football/2019-20/roster/steve-ryan

He's relatively young and a more importantly, a winner.

Fresno State's HC, Kalen DeBoer, came from the NAIA ranks (albeit he had stops as coordinator at Fresno and Indiana) so it isn't unprecedented.

He is a midwesterner so that could be a knock...

6 hours ago, AUGunsmith said:

When? There doesn't seem to be any drop-off at all in their team. Hell their QB is looking to be a top 5-10 pick. 

The argument still stands though. Why a nobody coach from a nobody school when you can have the best nobody from nowhere. 

In 2020, Long resigned from San Diego State, and Brady Hoke was named as his replacement.[4] He left San Diego State with 81 wins, second all time in wins behind Don Coryell.[5] Soon after his resignation from SDSU, the University of New Mexico announced Long would be returning to the Lobos to take over as their defensive coordinator under new coach Danny Gonzales, a former player and assistant coach under Long at UNM as well as SDSU.

7 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

RECRUIT! RECRUIT! RECRUIT! RECRUIT! RECRUIT! I want the absolute best and most elite recruiter that is a successful Head Coach that we can find. Schemes, what kind of offense and defense they run? That will all work itself out. We cannot keep falling further and further behind our 2 main rivals. We do not need top 10 classes anymore. We need top 5 classes. 

rrert.jpg

good gracious!

A young guy like Joe Brady or someone like him. Throwing money up a hogs ass and hollering "sooooeeee" on a "big name" is just not in the best interest of AU, at least right now

Just now, chizhead said:

A young guy like Joe Brady or someone like him. Throwing money up a hogs ass and hollering "sooooeeee" on a "big name" is just not in the best interest of AU, at least right now

Joe Brady is a big name. He is an NFL OC. 

Someone should be on the first thing smoking to Oxford to bring Lane in here to go head to head with Saban I know he would go all out to knock them off their throne and the young guys like his approach. Seems like a No-brainer to me 🤷🏾‍♂️

20 hours ago, gr82be said:

It has to do with the fact that he's won at UAB against the odds. Then Bama killed the program. Then it got a reprieve and he brought it back quickly. He's impressive, maybe not the sexy hire of a Cristobal but he shouldn't be discounted because of where he coaches. He's done a heck of a job against the worst odds. 

He also knows our recruiting territory better than anyone.  He would be my fallback plan.

42 minutes ago, DAG said:

But would he want to leave the NFL, much less leave for long (as in, would he Kiffin us)? If he were still LSU's OC, I'd say go for it (they'd probably be doing better this year if he were still there--aside from which, offense has not been their problem, 38.5 points on average).

8 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

rrert.jpg

Come on down..and bring Mario with you 

56 minutes ago, DAG said:

I agree with you that Brady is a big name. But I worry about evaluating a coach on a system alone. Defenses catch up to systems faster than ever now. Gus’s HUNH is a great example. Whoever we bring in needs to have a very clear plan in running every aspect of a championship program: recruiting, player development, roster management, strength and conditioning, nutrition, academics, etc...Not saying that Brady can’t do those things, he may be a great choice. But I hope when the PTB make the move, they factor the total package. We didn’t do that with Chizik or Gus and here we are. 

1 minute ago, Gowebb11 said:

I agree with you that Brady is a big name. But I worry about evaluating a coach on a system alone. Defenses catch up to systems faster than ever now. Gus’s HUNH is a great example. Whoever we bring in needs to have a very clear plan in running every aspect of a championship program: recruiting, player development, roster management, strength and conditioning, nutrition, academics, etc...Not saying that Brady can’t do those things, he may be a great choice. But I hope when the PTB make the move, they factor the total package. We didn’t do that with Chizik or Gus and here we are. 

Fair enough, but who then would you suggest?

3 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

I am not saying I want him as a coach. Only that he is a big name. He is an NFL OC. The poster made it seem like he is a small fry.

What if our AD pulled out a random like Lincoln Riley? Hahaha I could see some if the common criticism right now.

Archived