Liberal Slant Or Legitimate Possibility

AUFriction

There are a lot of articles out there like this one, many coming from some of the more moderate news networks:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.usatoday.com/amp/6056288002

Basically, the gist of it is that Trump may have been fighting the election results so hard because there’s a legitimate possibility of criminal charges once presidential immunity ends. 

I know there’s a lot of other moderates/independents on this board, so O wanted to get your collective take. My question is this. Do y’all think this is a legitimate scenario, or is this “theory” just wishful thinking from people that are less than enthralled with Trump?

I think it's possible that he faces some criminal charges and it may play into why he's contesting it, but I honestly think it's mostly about his ego.  He just can't get his mind around the fact that he lost and lost especially to an opponent he derided as a non-entity - "Sleepy Joe."    

I do agree with the article in that I think whatever threat there is on this front is going to mostly come from state inquiries like NY.  I think Biden is probably going to lay off any federal probes to avoid the appearance being vindictive and to further his aim of trying to repair some sense of national unity. 

FWIW, USA Today is pretty centrist - between neutral and center-left according to Media Bias Factcheck.  So if they're mentioning this, I wouldn't take it as liberal spin.

6 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

I do agree with the article in that I think whatever threat there is on this front is going to mostly come from state inquiries like NY.

Same.

I could see some big settlements for the other stuff.

I don't see anything big happening for anything related to his campaign or his time in office. 

3 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Same.

I could see some big settlements for the other stuff.

I don't see anything big happening for anything related to his campaign or his time in office. 

I still hope that a lot of his malfeasance will be exposed, even if in the course of writing more specific legislation for emoluments (for example).  We shouldn't let Trump set the precedent for what is acceptable behavior.

5 minutes ago, homersapien said:

I still hope that a lot of his malfeasance will be exposed, even if in the course of writing more specific legislation for emoluments (for example).  We shouldn't let Trump set the precedent for what is acceptable behavior.

I will say this. If he is indicted for that kind of stuff, it needs to be a super duper rock solid open and shut case. Like, actual recordings of him ordering the code red. I mean, it's not like actual recordings of him saying "grab her by the..." and mocking disabled people and suggesting disinfectant injections made a difference to much of the public, but they definitely can't press forward with a lacking effort. 

11 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I will say this. If he is indicted for that kind of stuff, it needs to be a super duper rock solid open and shut case. Like, actual recordings of him ordering the code red. I mean, it's not like actual recordings of him saying "grab her by the..." and mocking disabled people and suggesting disinfectant injections made a difference to much of the public, but they definitely can't press forward with a lacking effort. 

Oh, I don't think anything will persuade his supporter at this point.  I just think it's essential for us as a country to reestablish acceptable norms of behavior, even if we have to legislate them.

Just now, homersapien said:

Oh, I don't think anything will persuade his supporter at this point.  I just think it's essential for us as a country to reestablish acceptable norms of behavior, even if we have to legislate them.

No doubt. Just don't want to make him a martyr to anyone who doesn't already see him that way. 

2 minutes ago, homersapien said:

At this point, his true supporters will just think a criminal conviction or a huge loss in a civil case is just a “liberal conspiracy”.

I don’t pretend to like his policy, but it’s the other stuff that really gets me. The constant lying. The putting ego over country. The refusal to distance himself from bigots/bigoted remarks. And honestly, the stupidity. He doesn’t seem to understand basic concepts including what he can and can’t do as president. And it’s these reasons that I just can’t understand how people can vote for him or why people buy his BS.

Archived