Coach Candidates Thread (OP Updated 12/22)

Zeek

1 minute ago, Bo Didley said:

I’m with you. I’m playing devils advocate on what the possible thought process is. I don’t know the money standpoint but a raise for Steele and no staff buyouts maybe another way they see it. I’m just trying to make it make sense.

I still doesn’t grow auburn in any way and continues to make things stagnant. This will set AU back 3 years at least; that’s the thing. It makes zero sense lol

• Replies 9.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, Maverick.AU said:

And that’s fair but you can’t be scared of change. Gus was only going to bring us 8-5 with the occasional chance year here and there. You aren’t going to bring a program up a level with that, especially with that pay. For the way we recruited, at minimum, the players deserved a better chance at success 

I'm not afraid of change. I just think Venables would be a better option. Besides Mario didn't re-invent the wheel at Oregon and he wasn't great at Florida International. He recruited well at Oregon but the program for the most part had done well since the mid 2000's.

Just now, MoneyDuck5 said:

Been here longer than you have. Calmer than you are.

Been here since the national championship season lol. You weren’t posting on AE before the merger were you? You literally made an account when AU and UO played for a natty. Btw  dyer wasn’t down

1 minute ago, Maverick.AU said:

Been here since the national championship season lol. You weren’t posting on AE before the merger were you? You literally made an account when AU and UO played for a natty. Btw  dyer wasn’t down

Lol I know. And it was a good game.  Tbh I walked away from that always liking AU. That was until you ****** with my psyche this week hahaha. Seriously tho, I wish the best.

1 minute ago, Maverick.AU said:

I still doesn’t grow auburn in any way and continues to make things stagnant. This will set AU back 3 years at least; that’s the thing. It makes zero sense lol

I know but we are talking about rich old dudes set in their ways with all the money and power! We can only hope AD creates a alliance within the committee and the right choice is made. #1 needs to be a culture change. 

1 minute ago, murpjf88 said:

I'm not afraid of change. I just think Venables would be a better option. Besides Mario didn't re-invent the wheel at Oregon and he wasn't great at Florida International. He recruited well at Oregon but the program for the most part had done well since the mid 2000's.

He was under probation 4 out of 5 seasons there Bc of the previous HC. Faced  4 a schoralship reductions a year. Which is huge at a place like FIU. Currently has Oregon recruiting better than they ever have. The rumored staff was not only great recruiters, but solid coaches. That’s what AU needs to get to the next level.  Not this constant limbo of only hiring people that have been associated with AU

Lol I know. And it was a good game.  Tbh I walked away from that always liking AU. That was until you ****** with my psyche this week hahaha. Seriously tho, I wish the best.

Don’t “wish the best” and come here to troll lol. Go back to your Oregon boards 😂

I know but we are talking about rich old dudes set in their ways with all the money and power! We can only hope AD creates a alliance within the committee and the right choice is made. #1 needs to be a culture change. 

Based on things said about AG I doubt that. They figured he will have a new job sooner rather than later 

2 minutes ago, Maverick.AU said:

Don’t “wish the best” and come here to troll lol. Go back to your Oregon boards 😂

Me troll? It's your boosters that troll, who would want to deal with that? Honestly the hubris of this board was insane, and everything else points to people saying anything to save face. Like people were like "we should leak the offer to show $7.1 million to save face" like wtf kind of culture do you come from where that's a thought? I'm not a troll, but I am opinionated.

Based on things said about AG I doubt that. They figured he will have a new job sooner rather than later 

I was really worried how his position would be respected when it came to making a football change. I had hope that anything was better than previous.

2 minutes ago, MoneyDuck5 said:

Me troll? It's your boosters that troll, who would want to deal with that? Honestly the hubris of this board was insane, and everything else points to people saying anything to save face. Like people were like "we should leak the offer to show $7.1 million to save face" like wtf kind of culture do you come from where that's a thought? I'm not a troll, but I am opinionated.

Again you’re opposing fan who doesn’t post to the forum often, except to attempt to troll and talk smack. We have several opposing fans that are like family here that actually talk opinionated, genuine stuff. You have not shown to be one of them. 

1 hour ago, GwillMac6 said:

A lot of rumors about him but no way AU would interview him if he didn't pass the background check by the search firm. 247 said AU won't even consider interviewing lane and freeze because of character issues and both really want the job. I think he is just extremely picky like kirby was.

WTH wouldn't Auburn interview Lane?   Just goes to show what a search firm is good for, not much, as they don't understand SEC football, obviously.   Even if Auburn has no intentions of hiring Lane, it would serve 2 very useful purposes: 1. make Ole Miss spend more resources to keep him, if Auburn played it right  2. most importantly, give our new staff firepower to recruit against Ole Miss/Kiffin.  "You know he wanted to leave Ole Miss to come to Auburn, after just one season". I know some things are off-limits in recruiting, but the press would find out about it regardless. At the very least, it would cause some internal issues within Ole Miss.  

NM, the folks doing the hiring would catch tremendous grief from the media if they interviewed Kiffin, but hired Steele.  So forget that other nonsenseI said, they'll use character issues to not interview anyone with substantially more experience/success than Steele.  Ridiculous

I was really worried how his position would be respected when it came to making a football change. I had hope that anything was better than previous.

Evidently not much and he doesn’t have a lot of fans from when he said he wasn’t trying to get a job at USC and they found him trying to do just that. So don’t expect much from him in that regard 

A few thoughts.

Sark's biggest drawing point at bammer is that he orchestrated that offense. I don't think he's a bad coach, but I don't think he's someone you fire someone "for". We got hosed on Cristobal. Part of it. Coaches can get fired, and they can also "play" on their employer, and that's happened to us two times in the past 4 years. But hey, first time we've ever "lost" to Oregon..

I've seen Gus' product on the field for years. After 2013-14, I never saw him have a true roundhouse kick type offense. I feel like every quarterback he's had for more than a year has regressed under him. I also feel he has never truly adjusted to the rulechange for defensive substitutions. 

I think his "very solid season" comments made him easier to fire. However, it was also getting hard to tell kids to come and play for this guy when the offense is very obviously holding kids back, and it's HIS offense and he is INTENT on running it. I didn't see an emphasis on O-line. I didn't see inventive playcalling. I saw leaning on a RB til the poor guy can't move, and sometimes screen passes. I see a lot of Jeremy Johnson in Bo Nix now. I saw Jarrett Stidham get less confident in 2018 than he was in 2017, in the same way.  Who else CAN you blame that on than the "offensive guru" head coach?

I think Gus is a good and nice man. But I mean we live in a Glenngary Glen Ross league. (Nice guy? Father? Go home and play with your kids!) 

2017 was arguably Gus' best year and probably the most frustrating season that it is possible to have as a fanbase, where both your rivals play in the final, when you've beaten literally both of them, and you're playing Boise State South in your 2nd straight game in the Georgia Dome 2.0 and they beat you and declare THEMSELVES national champion. Where you see Clemson win one the next year and you KNOW you could cakewalk to a natty with their schedule and your 2017 roster. 

But if we had a worldbeater offense like we PAID "Dr. Gustav" for, in 2017, we would have stomped EVERY FREAKING BODY and brought home gold and made these bammers lose their minds. Instead they won one because Tua overthrew. Freakish BS and a total joke..

I don't think a head coaching hire should be done purely on  record and current accomplishments. I don't think a "hot coordinator" is a great hire necessarily. I think it goes the same for firing a coach. You don't fire for a single "bad" year unless it's TERRIBLE. You don't hire a coach who had a single "good" year, either. Just my opinion. 

I say this because, damn, I wanted Mark Stoops for a while and while this year was lean at 4-6 up in the Bluegrass (it's also a weird year in every way) I'd much rather have him than Kevin Steele, just about any NFL name I've seen, or most anybody that isn't Cristobal. I think he knows how to run a program and not just have one good year. 

Again you’re opposing fan who doesn’t post to the forum often, except to attempt to troll and talk smack. We have several opposing fans that are like family here that actually talk opinionated, genuine stuff. You have not shown to be one of them. 

Can you not "ignore" me? Is there not a button? Again, been here longer than you, lurk a lot, but I post when given reason, and you tried to steal my coach. That's a reason.

1 minute ago, USATiger said:

WTH wouldn't Auburn interview Lane?   Just goes to show what a search firm is good for, not much, as they don't understand SEC football, obviously.   Even if Auburn has no intentions of hiring Lane, it would serve 2 very useful purposes: 1. make Ole Miss spend more resources to keep him, if Auburn played it right  2. most importantly, give our new staff firepower to recruit against Ole Miss/Kiffin.  "You know he wanted to leave Ole Miss to come to Auburn, after just one season". I know some things are off-limits in recruiting, but the press would find out about it regardless. At the very least, it would cause some internal issues within Ole Miss.  

NM, the folks doing the hiring would catch tremendous grief from the media if they interviewed Kiffin, but hired Steele.  So forget that other nonsenseI said, they'll use character issues to not interview anyone with substantially more experience/success than Steele.  Ridiculous

I hope we "seriously" reach out  to Pittman.  JUST  to get him a nice raise at Arkansas.  Tit for Tat and all.

2 minutes ago, MoneyDuck5 said:

Don’t get to excited about the troll label. I have been called a troll, lurch, had my brain cells questioned  and called a numbskull because I made a logical statement or had a varied opinion. The skin is thin around these parts!🤣

Can you not "ignore" me? Is there not a button? Again, been here longer than you, lurk a lot, but I post when given reason, and you tried to steal my coach. That's a reason.

Lol you don’t post here enough and have literally no importance for me to “ignore you” 😂

3 minutes ago, Maverick.AU said:

Evidently not much and he doesn’t have a lot of fans from when he said he wasn’t trying to get a job at USC and they found him trying to do just that. So don’t expect much from him in that regard 

I learned something today! I did not know that. I’m in and out of country too much . 

Btw. We’ve only seen an agreement between Cristobal and the cucks no signature. Also even if it is signed. We could still pay that buyout and be 100% ok. That’s game money not life or death money. Lol

37 minutes ago, AUscw2011 said:

Btw. We’ve only seen an agreement between Cristobal and the cucks no signature. Also even if it is signed. We could still pay that buyout and be 100% ok. That’s game money not life or death money. Lol

Agreement is signed by the nature of public contracts and it being adopted by the Board. But 100% seriously you could eat the $8 million buyout and then pay $7.1 million/year? But look at Oregon coaches after they leave (in order): Rich Brooks (NFL, then college, ret), Mike Belotti (ret), Chip Kelly (NFL, now UCLA), Mark Helfrich (analyist), Willie Taggart (FSU, now somewhere else in Florida?).  There's something about Oregon that enables success.... not besides which is Nike University (less cash, more gear), no boosters to politically please like Auburn (Knight>Kilkenny), #1 facilities and gear, winning tradition of Oregon sports (Track, Basketball, etc), chill culture, and major innovation at every level (including business, marketing, and commitment to athlete education). Oh yeah, Cristobal seems like the real fit, too.

1 hour ago, AUscw2011 said:

Yea. I don’t believe he was ever on the radar. Honestly 

Oh, he was on the radar and moving to Auburn until a couple of the big moneys screwed it up.  

Archived