Coach Candidates Thread (OP Updated 12/22)

Zeek

• Replies 9.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Maverick.AU said:

He was under probation 4 out of 5 seasons there Bc of the previous HC. Faced  4 a schoralship reductions a year. Which is huge at a place like FIU. Currently has Oregon recruiting better than they ever have. The rumored staff was not only great recruiters, but solid coaches. That’s what AU needs to get to the next level.  Not this constant limbo of only hiring people that have been associated with AU

What was the rumored staff? Only name I remember being mentioned was Dell Mcgee as RB coach

46 minutes ago, MoneyDuck5 said:

But 100% seriously you could eat the $8 million buyout and then pay $7.1 million/year? 

I don't think MC is coming here now at all and congrats on the win tonight.  Made me some cash on that money line.

But to answer your question, yeah, we can cover that pretty easily.  An $8M buyout won't scare Auburn money folks if they truly thought they could get him.  We literally just paid a guy $20M to go away and were already paying him $7M per year.

Like it or not, football culture is just different in the SEC vs the Pac 12.  Money isn't an object if it means winning here.  I think you seriously underestimate that part of this conversation.

3 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

I don't think MC is coming here now at all and congrats on the win tonight.  Made me some cash on that money line.

But to answer your question, yeah, we can cover that pretty easily.  An $8M buyout won't scare Auburn money folks if they truly thought they could get him.  We literally just paid a guy $20M to go away and were already paying him $7M per year.

Like it or not, football culture is just different in the SEC vs the Pac 12.  Money isn't an object if it means winning here.  I think you seriously underestimate that part of this conversation.

I don't underestimate your side. And tbh I'll come eat crow if tomorrow* we wake up and Cristobal is Cristoballin Alabama plains.  Thanks for writing tho, I have to say I think you've often had a very grounded perspective through this ordeal.  I stand by my previous positive sentiments regarding Auburn and its future..

*-future

6 minutes ago, AUFan2015 said:

What was the rumored staff? Only name I remember being mentioned was Dell Mcgee as RB coach

There were people that got a list but didn’t divulge much. One was Kendall briles as OC

1 minute ago, MoneyDuck5 said:

I don't underestimate your side. And tbh I'll come eat crow if tomorrow* we wake up and Cristobal is Cristoballin Alabama plains.  Thanks for writing tho, I have to say I think you've often had a very grounded perspective through this ordeal.  I do mean my previous positive sentiments..

*-future

I don't think you'll have to worry about a crow dinner anytime soon.  Would be completely shocked at this point if MC left Oregon for any job right now.

However, I'd watch out for Miami in a few years.  They may try to get him home.

7 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

I don't think you'll have to worry about a crow dinner anytime soon.  Would be completely shocked at this point if MC left Oregon for any job right now.

However, I'd watch out for Miami in a few years.  They may try to get him home.

I'll be really worried when NS leaves Alabama, tbh.  Cristobal has spurned Miami twice before, but has Alabama ties, and would probably be an attractive prospect to them (much malice)

And for honesty's sake, and from my end, this never felt like a situation where Cristobal was going to leave, under any of the circumstances (future game to play, signing day), and it definitely didn't feel like Chip Kelly OR Willie Taggart (Chip Kelly shopped jobs each year, so we got trained to it), and Willie Taggart got his "dream job" offer after not even a year!  If coach's agent played the role but wouldn't let Cristobal sign til after the start of early NSD, I'd suspect the culprits to hate are agents misleading boosters into thinking coaches were actually game, when coaches were not.  Has anyone checked who Malzahn's agent is? Is it also Cristobal's agent?  Why am I saying this? I hope to assuage reason to hate Oregon or Cristobal over this... is all.

11 minutes ago, MoneyDuck5 said:

And for honesty's sake, and from my end, this never felt like a situation where Cristobal was going to leave, under any of the circumstances (future game to play, signing day), and it definitely didn't feel like Chip Kelly OR Willie Taggart (Chip Kelly shopped jobs each year, so we got trained to it), and Willie Taggart got his "dream job" offer after not even a year!  If coach's agent played the role but wouldn't let Cristobal sign til after the start of early NSD, I'd suspect the culprits to hate are agents misleading boosters into thinking coaches were actually game, when coaches were not.  Has anyone checked who Malzahn's agent is? Is it also Cristobal's agent?  Why am I saying this? I hope to assuage reason to hate Oregon or Cristobal over this... is all.

Oh I don't think anyone here hates UO or Cristobal over this.  We hate our own boosters and internal power players, but that's pretty much where it stops.  Our boosters being meddling and screwing things up goes back decades man.  It's why everyone is tired of it.

But I do look forward to ripping your hearts out again next time we see you on the field 😉

1 minute ago, drewzums343 said:

Also to get some good recruits to come to Auburn. We've got to get that new football facility built. Alabama, LSU and Georgia have better facilities than we do 

So do Texas A&M, Tennessee, Arkansas, and Florida at the very least.  We're bottom 1/3 of the conference when it comes to facilities.

11 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

So do Texas A&M, Tennessee, Arkansas, and Florida at the very least.  We're bottom 1/3 of the conference when it comes to facilities.

From what I've heard, the complex will be done around 2022 and other athletic teams will take over where football is now. 

1 hour ago, MoneyDuck5 said:

Me troll? It's your boosters that troll, who would want to deal with that? Honestly the hubris of this board was insane, and everything else points to people saying anything to save face. Like people were like "we should leak the offer to show $7.1 million to save face" like wtf kind of culture do you come from where that's a thought? I'm not a troll, but I am opinionated.

You’re also probably a tree hugging ,...oh, I forgot. Got to leave politics off the board. Sorry...

4 minutes ago, Swamp Eagle said:

You’re also probably a tree hugging ,...oh, I forgot. Got to leave politics off the board. Sorry...

There's still Auburn fans in PNW. 🌲

1 hour ago, drewzums343 said:

From what I've heard, the complex will be done around 2022 and other athletic teams will take over where football is now. 

And, didn't Gus not only advocate for this, but also pay for part of it? 

Like I said, I think he's a good dude. I think he's a nice man. I've heard varying reports of how he is in person, but no football coach can be nice all the time, so I completely understand that.

I just rewatch that 2017 Sugar Bowl whenever I feel bad about the idea of firing him. Like you can see the team like quit and bail as soon as Sean White gets hurt. Sean White who he also kept in, hurt, during the IB that year. Offensive guru.

I knew venables was a good recruiter but his all time commit list is even more impressive than I thought.

https://247sports.com/Coach/Brent-Venables-168/AllTimeRecruits/

15 hours ago, AuburnTiger4Life said:

I bet Saban is FUMING that this leaked out. You know players are gonna find out now 

He is loving it, when Sark turns us down it only adds to his program’s recognition nationally that his OC rather have kept that role than HC at his rival Auburn.

if it spins that way, that is.

4 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I can’t unsee his nose, thanks for that torment 

I imagine they took a number of photos and this was somehow the best. The guys is off and I don't know why. Strikes me as a secret serial killer or something.

37 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Bro I'm telling you, I think I can become an Auburn or college football writer for a living. Could have wrote this in the Notes app on my phone in like 10 minutes lol.

4 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

It’s funny how quickly the Auburn twitters I follow unfollowed Cristobal lol 

You see his account? He retweeted like 30 celebration tweets about them winning but he never did retweet a single thing about his extension. 

Hmmmmmmmm

Lol

1 hour ago, GwillMac6 said:

I knew venables was a good recruiter but his all time commit list is even more impressive than I thought.

https://247sports.com/Coach/Brent-Venables-168/AllTimeRecruits/

That's great and all, but iS hE aN aUbUrN mAn???

10 hours ago, WarEagleHunter1221 said:

refused to accept Steele and continuously support Auburn if he’s chosen

That is me, AND everyone that I have talked to. Most are just livid like myself

Archived