Coach Candidates Thread (OP Updated 12/22)

Zeek

David Pollack summed up my thoughts -- and most here -- on Steele on College Game Day this morning:

“When you look at Auburn, if I was making the decision, I’m not paying someone $21 million to go and hire somebody I already had on staff.”

• Replies 9.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tony Elliott’s story is very impressive. Because it’s not fully written, he may be considered the highest risk, but so far, the accomplishments can’t be argued. Has been around and contributed to success from the beginning of his career. Has consistently been pursued by others, but has been patient so far. Was voted as most respected by his peers when he played. Came up through the ranks and has been trusted by Dabo to run his offense. Dabo knows him well, as Dabo was his position coach. Is recognized as a great recruiter. Is young and energetic. A minority hire that recruits can identify with.  First priority is someone who can go into homes and convince top level talent to come to Auburn to follow him. Check. Second, someone who knows how to succeed in current times, has a hunger and drive to succeed, and can assemble a staff that can contribute to priorities one and two. Everything I’ve read indicates that as a check. Third, one that can represent Auburn in a positive light. Check. Fourth, has no association with our past or any tendencies that would imply an expectation to continue to do things as we have done the last 20 years or so at Auburn. 
Sounds like it’s worth the risks for the expected rewards. Sadly, it probably won’t happen for reason number four. 

4 minutes ago, Tiger Refuge said:

I may be off here, but it sounded like they were saying it was Steele. That he had the money backing him and dared Gus to fire him.

But why would Gus fire the only coach the Auburn fans saw value in? That would have just pissed Auburn fans off more. Story just doesn’t add up.

1 hour ago, Zeek said:

I'm thinking if we #StopSteele it ends up being Napier. 

No baggage

Good pedigree 

Good head coaching record even at a smaller school

Good recruiter

Young kids, beautiful wife, seems like an "Auburn man" fans could feel comfortable with

Unlike Gus he has more than one year at a smaller school 

Might be one of the cheapest options considering he only makes like 800k right now

Biggest problem is his passing schemes aren't great he'd need a very solid OC

I'm on board but I can't think of a good nickname or hashtag for him...

#FreeBilly ? #BringBilly ? Can't spell barn without BN?

16 minutes ago, AUBourne said:

I finally watched the briefing with Kevin Steele discussing the recruiting class. The AU media guys gave him a lot of praise for his performance. Yet I was annoyed right away due to his mental pauses and saying "uhh" every 3 words.  It was so annoying. I question the motive of the people that praised him for that performance.

I’ve got a co-worker that does this and it drives me up the wall. It’s about all I can focus on when he’s talking to me. 

2 minutes ago, Zeek said:

#ohbilly

Oh Billy GIF - Oh Billy Hello - Discover & Share GIFs

5 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

But why would Gus fire the only coach the Auburn fans saw value in? That would have just pissed Auburn fans off more. Story just doesn’t add up.

Because he was not respectful to Gus as the head coach. Yeah the fans may have respected him but he may have disrespected Gus. It’s Steele, no other coach on the staff comes close, maybe Garner that’s about it.

25 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Def reeks of dabo trying to control the narrative on this on ahead of their game tonight. They aren't sitting power 5 head coaches. Of course they are going to get interviews. They are hot coordinators. Don't get the reason they have to put this out there to the media. 

Agree 

but it was HORRIBLE form for AU to leak the interview list... 

17 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

I don’t like all of the gossipy stuff but if he was undermining him , he absolutely should’ve resigned if he didn’t like Gus coaching style. That’s what I think was being alluded 

This whole process reeks of intentional sabotage so that the PTB get what they want. It’s really childish and I think will backfire on them. Not that they really care or anything. It’ll be champagne toasts and pats on the back all around I’m sure. Rednecks with money. 🤦‍♂️

26 minutes ago, Quietmaninthecorner said:

seriously,   Would someone that knows a lot about all these coaches answer a few questions for me?

1 How many SEC teams currently have a head coach that was hired directly from OC or DC?

Georgia

Arkansas (actually hired an OL coach)

South Carolina

Kentucky

Vanderbilt

Tennessee

LSU (but had previous P5 experience)

2 how many SEC teams have head coaches that were hired  from lower division or much smaller schools?

Mizzou

Ole Miss (but Kiffin had P5 jobs)

3  How many SEC teams currently have a head coach that was hired away  from being a HC at a major conference?

Florida

A&M

Bama

Miss State

12 minutes ago, Quietmaninthecorner said:

seriously,   Would someone that knows a lot about all these coaches answer a few questions for me?

1 How many SEC teams currently have a head coach that was hired directly from OC or DC?

2 how many SEC teams have head coaches that were hired  from lower division or much smaller schools?

3  How many SEC teams currently have a head coach that was hired away  from being a HC at a major conference?

Alabama - Saban well everyone should know his background

Auburn - TBD

Arkansas - Pittman career assistant no coordinator experience 

Florida - Dan Mullen nine years at Miss St as HC

Georgia - Kirby Power 5 DC

Kentucky - Mark Stoops nine years as Power 5 DC

LSU - Ed three years at Ole Miss then DC at Power 5 schools 

Ole Miss - Lane Power 5 HC then FAU

Miss St - Pirate Power 5 HC

Missouri - Drinkwitz one year Group 5 HC

South Carolina - Shane Beamer Power 5 assistant coach no coordinator experience 

Tennessee - Pruitt Power 5 DC experience

TAMU - Jimbo Power 5 HC

Vandy - Clark Lea Power 5 DC experience 

13 minutes ago, Zeek said:

I was talking to a USCe fan last night. Apparently Billy backed out because he wanted $5mil+/year and wanted to bring his current staff in at top 5% of their positions. 

A lot of people like him here, but he is not remotely worth that much. 

1 hour ago, aubaseball said:

Not to judge a coach by one play, but if it was his decision on the play against App State at the end of the game, no thanks to Napier.   That was one of the dumbest decisions I’ve ever seen in a football game 

If we have learned anything from our experience with Gus, we should see if Napier can learn from his missteps.  Maybe something to be asked in an interview.  He coached his team to a Championship berth in-spite of his late game decision.  

As for the dumbest decision; I think leaving SW in for the 2nd half of the 2016 UGA game ranks up there with the dumbest, it just took longer to manifest itself.

32 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

So on the Jboy cast, who was the coach Gus said needed to resign and the guy said “fire me”. He wouldn’t have asked Steele to resign. Steele was his most popular coach. The offense staff was all his guys, so I don’t see them talking to Gus like that. 

Dunno.  Could have been any OC that was losing his mind from the meddling, but wanted to keep his nest egg.

4 minutes ago, NoALtiger said:

This whole process reeks of intentional sabotage so that the PTB get what they want. It’s really childish and I think will backfire on them. Not that they really care or anything. It’ll be champagne toasts and pats on the back all around I’m sure. Rednecks with money. 🤦‍♂️

And the weird part the PTB are not even on the same page. They all can got to h*** as far as I am concerned. I have felt this was since 2002

3 minutes ago, Tony4AU said:

Alabama - Saban well everyone should know his background

Auburn - TBD

Arkansas - Pittman career assistant no coordinator experience 

Florida - Dan Mullen nine years at Miss St as HC

Georgia - Kirby Power 5 DC

Kentucky - Mark Stoops nine years as Power 5 DC

LSU - Ed three years at Ole Miss then DC at Power 5 schools 

Ole Miss - Lane Power 5 HC then FAU

Miss St - Pirate Power 5 HC

Missouri - Drinkwitz one year Group 5 HC

South Carolina - Shane Beamer Power 5 assistant coach no coordinator experience 

Tennessee - Pruitt Power 5 DC experience

TAMU - Jimbo Power 5 HC

Vandy - Clark Lea Power 5 DC experience 

The Lea hire is solid. I’ve actually watched more ND this season (my 1b to my AU 1a) and there defense is strong. I really think they have a legitimate shot to knock Clemson off again. 

1 hour ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

That’s what I’m saying. If what was being alluded to is true and Steele basically dared Gus to fire him, he(Steele) knew that Gus would be cutting his own throat if he did it. So Gus didn’t, and therefore neutered himself. At that point, Gus essentially lost his power. 

Listen to the podcast and judge for yourself. Shuler makes some great points/suggestions.

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/the-jboy-show-w-former-auburn-football-standout-rob-shuler/id1507349475?i=1000502910905

*ETA- Rereading, it looks like you already listened to it.

*ETA part deuce- @AuCivilEng1 I went back and listened to it again. I’m not sure they were referencing Steele now. Sounds like it was perhaps an assistant. But still, if it’s an assistant coach then why in the world wouldn’t the coordinator recommend them to be fired for insubordination to the head coach...unless that coordinator really wanted the head coach’s power removed. 

2 minutes ago, AuburnTiger4Life said:

Jboy hinted at a big name being interviewed that hasn’t been released yet. Says he’s waiting for more confirmation 

It may be someone from a small school that won’t excite anyone or it could be an NFL guy only one unmentioned name that moves the needle...Urban Myer

1 minute ago, AURealist said:

Dunno.  Could have been any OC that was losing his mind from the meddling, but wanted to keep his nest egg.

Could it have been T Will? People hinted earlier this week that there was something negative going on with him but nobody would come out and say directly what it was.

Seems to be standard on Auburn boards. Tell people they know something and then make people play 20 questions to get it the info out of them. 

1 minute ago, aubearcat said:

The Lea hire is solid. I’ve actually watched more ND this season (my 1b to my AU 1a) and there defense is strong. I really think they have a legitimate shot to knock Clemson off again. 

I couldn't lay the 10.5 fast enough.  Clemson will beat them like a damn drum tonight.

Archived