Coach Candidates Thread (OP Updated 12/22)

Zeek

1 hour ago, aubearcat said:

This is the most important 30 minutes in the last 7 days.

Every Auburn fan needs to listen to this.

• Replies 9.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
29 minutes ago, JuscAUse! said:

I probably missed it in the earlier pages, but do you have an idea who the coaches were that were at odds with each other and the HC? It's no wonder our defense was so bad this year if that is true.

No idea, but it's surprising to me since a lot of the coaches on the team actually owe Gus a lot and would not be in the position they are without him.

4 minutes ago, meh130 said:

The meat of the discussion begins at the 00:07:30 mark. 

10 hours ago, Zeek said:

How tf we didn't even try with a Kiffin or Freeze baffles me. Ateast make their programs give them a raise. 

Sorry but I just think Mario is above a lot of these guys in various categories and it's an awful miss for us.

Like it or not, its the baggage they carry.

17 minutes ago, woodford said:

Absolutely. He was the scapegoat. The sports media did their damndest to ruin his life. 

So the players running around like wild fools had nothing to do with him. It’s a lot of blame at the feet of Briles, he is in no way innocent. But that’s a discussion for somewhere else. 

38 minutes ago, JuscAUse! said:

I probably missed it in the earlier pages, but do you have an idea who the coaches were that were at odds with each other and the HC? It's no wonder our defense was so bad this year if that is true.

I heard there were issues between Steele and T-Will. That could be it.

23 minutes ago, aubaseball said:

Not to judge a coach by one play, but if it was his decision on the play against App State at the end of the game, no thanks to Napier.   That was one of the dumbest decisions I’ve ever seen in a football game 

Worse than Kirby's fake punt?   All coaches make horrible decisions.  It's how you learn to be better.  

10 hours ago, Zeek said:

Mario just took a team that lost a lot of NFL talent and had ridiculous amounts of key opt outs and won his conference. Something we haven't done in going on 8 years. 

Let's not go overboard here. he won the conference with a 4-2 record. Not sure that is killing it. Plus it is the Pac 12. Plus AU beat them a year ago when they had all that talent. 

I like MC. I would have been happy if he was our coach, esp, from a recruiting standpoint., but he hasn't crushed the coaching thing. 

After listening to the Jboy/Rob Shuler podcast, I fear any coaching change that does not wipe the deck clean of every existing coach will end up being a huge problem.

Shuler’s idea of an independent investigation/audit is necessary. This can be done in compete confidence, and problematic people can be given the choice of being eased out protecting their reputations, or if they resist being eased out, they can be publicly removed for cause.

10 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

Taking the kirby route. Waiting for a awesome job to open up. It's smart because it keeps your star shining bright and doesn't risk it fading like it does quick when guys take bad jobs and don't do well. See jeff scott at south florida thks season.

Yeah, I remember when Chad Morris was the hottest name out there as OC at Clemson.  Did OK at SMU but look what Arkansas did for him.  Here it is 6 years later and he’s about to be out of a job equal or less than the one he had.

53 minutes ago, JuscAUse! said:

There’s not really been a mention of a leader other than some of the most connected people on the site saying Steele is a real threat to be hired. 

1 minute ago, dilligas said:

Yeah, I remember when Chad Morris was the hottest name out there as OC at Clemson.  Did OK at SMU but look what Arkansas did for him.  Here it is 6 years later and he’s about to be out of a job equal or less than the one he had.

Life comes at you fast...

1 minute ago, NoALtiger said:

I hear Venables isn’t going to interview as well. Of course. 

I completely understand JABA now.  Just announce Steele tomorrow along with bowl game.  

21 minutes ago, chizhead said:

Yeah, but you have to admire both of them as coaches,though.

I can think they can coach, but I don't have to admire them.

28 minutes ago, meh130 said:

A bammer friend of mine listened and was like “wow”. He said even as bama  fan he hopes AUburn cleans house and stays away from Steele because the rivalry won’t be fun with a subpar AUburn. 

1 minute ago, NoALtiger said:

I hear Venables isn’t going to interview as well. Of course. 

Def reeks of dabo trying to control the narrative on this on ahead of their game tonight. They aren't sitting power 5 head coaches. Of course they are going to get interviews. They are hot coordinators. Don't get the reason they have to put this out there to the media. 

I finally watched the briefing with Kevin Steele discussing the recruiting class. The AU media guys gave him a lot of praise for his performance. Yet I was annoyed right away due to his mental pauses and saying "uhh" every 3 words.  It was so annoying. I question the motive of the people that praised him for that performance.

seriously,   Would someone that knows a lot about all these coaches answer a few questions for me?

1 How many SEC teams currently have a head coach that was hired directly from OC or DC?

2 how many SEC teams have head coaches that were hired  from lower division or much smaller schools?

3  How many SEC teams currently have a head coach that was hired away  from being a HC at a major conference?

So on the Jboy cast, who was the coach Gus said needed to resign and the guy said “fire me”. He wouldn’t have asked Steele to resign. Steele was his most popular coach. The offense staff was all his guys, so I don’t see them talking to Gus like that. 

3 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

So on the Jboy cast, who was the coach Gus said needed to resign and the guy said “fire me”. He wouldn’t have asked Steele to resign. Steele was his most popular coach. The offense staff was all his guys, so I don’t see them talking to Gus like that. 

Sounds like it would have been Steele to me...most popular one to stab him in the back. 

1 minute ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

Thats bad, man, real bad.............I am about ready to wash my hands of the whole damned things. .....Following AU sports for 60 years and this is how my last years of life are spent?....nah.....No more emotion left to invest for this s***

4 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

I may be off here, but it sounded like they were saying it was Steele. That he had the money backing him and dared Gus to fire him.

Archived