Coach Candidates Thread (OP Updated 12/22)

Zeek

When I am on the board keeping up with the PTB and the coaching search, here is what I hear playing in my head. I can just see Benny Hill and that, my friends, is JABA at its finest

• Replies 9.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 12/13/2020 at 2:41 PM, Zeek said:

Updated 12/19/2020

Per https://www.google.com/amp/s/auburnwire.usatoday.com/lists/auburn-coaching-search-five-candidates-kevin-steele-billy-napier-steve-sarkisian-tony-elliott-brent-venables/amp/

Being Interviewed

Kevin Steele || Auburn Defensive Coordinator & Interim Head Coach

Billy Napier || Louisiana Head Coach

Steve Sarkisian || Alabama Offensive Coordinator

Brent Venables || Clemson Defensive Coordinator

Tony Elliott || Clemson Offensive Coordinator

Names Worth Keeping in Mind:

Neal Brown || West Virginia Head Coach || Not a lot of traction but he seems to be a fall back guy. Former Troy coach and has recruited decently at WVU. Personality-wise very similar to Gus

Dan Quinn || Recently fired Atlanta Falcons Head Coach || No official interview has been set. I think the PTB were a little shocked with fan response to this name being leaked. Seems they thought fans might be excited by an NFL name but a lot of Auburn fans are Atlanta pro sport fans and hated the idea instantly and vehemently. 

Jeff Brohm || Purdue Head Coach || his name was floated out there as being likely to receive an interview. He apparently really wants the job at Auburn. However, Auburn fans haven't forgotten the absolute butt whooping Gus gave him in our bowl game. 

Eliminated or No Real Evidence of Being Pursued: 

Hugh Freeze || Liberty Head Coach || too many concerns on baggage and unwanted NCAA attention

Lane Kiffin || Ole Miss || while fans and players are interested there's no reliable evidence Auburn has or will pursue him. Character issues and a tendency to bolt have been mentioned

Mario Cristobal || Oregon Head Coach || while he hasn't put ink to paper yet he's agreed in principle. His wife has also tweeted out than you's and his quote about the contract seem telling. Still has yet to like/retweet/tweet anything about the extension which is odd considering his usual activity on the platform. The Athletic Department seemed prepared to go get him but the boosters couldn't get out of the way. 

Tom Allen || Indiana Head Coach || no real connections showing Auburn interest. Doesn't help he has a massive buyout too. 

Luke Fickell || Cincinnati Head Coach || never coached outside of Ohio despite working at 3 different schools. His contract is all the way through 2026 and there's been no buzz around him as a real candidate.

Jamey Chadwell || Coastal Carolina Head Coach || never heard his name mentioned even once. Now the Chantis are looking to give him a huge extension. 

Don't want to read through 250+ pages?  I got you. Here's where we stand right now. Will update each morning. 

8 hours ago, Maverick.AU said:

There are so many people that have a hard on for us to hire Steele Bc they didn’t want Gus to be let go it’s unreal. They’re just as bad as the PTB. They would rather see AU suffer Bc Gus was let go than see us ascend to new heights. Sad really 

Who has said this? I have not seen it anywhere?

• Zeek changed the title to Coach Candidates Thread (OP Updated 12/19)
5 minutes ago, PoetTiger said:

Who has said this? I have not seen it anywhere?

Mainly on social media. People saying stuff along the lines of “y’all deserve this for forcing Gus out, you got what you wanted”.  And I’ve seen more “careful what you wish for” bs than I care to ever see.

8 hours ago, Maverick.AU said:

The staff that was rumored he’d bring, sheesh, great recruiters and good coaches. But we can’t have anything nice here 😂

If Mario wanted to be in Auburn he would be here. Auburn may have kicked the tires on him and vice versa. And maybe he decided to stay. None of us here factually know what happened. I will say coaches talk and are connected, maybe he knew he would not have the control he wanted and said no thank you. Or maybe Auburn wants another person they can control. All we know for sure he ain’t coming. 

10 minutes ago, PoetTiger said:

If Mario wanted to be in Auburn he would be here. Auburn may have kicked the tires on him and vice versa. And maybe he decided to stay. None of us here factually know what happened. I will say coaches talk and are connected, maybe he knew he would not have the control he wanted and said no thank you. Or maybe Auburn wants another person they can control. All we know for sure he ain’t coming. 

Hope this isn’t true. You may be right. 

It’s kind of depressing how toxic the atmosphere in Auburn is regarding leadership and football. Very contrast to the school/town. 

I'm thinking if we #StopSteele it ends up being Napier. 

No baggage

Good pedigree 

Good head coaching record even at a smaller school

Good recruiter

Young kids, beautiful wife, seems like an "Auburn man" fans could feel comfortable with

Unlike Gus he has more than one year at a smaller school 

Might be one of the cheapest options considering he only makes like 800k right now

Biggest problem is his passing schemes aren't great he'd need a very solid OC

On 12/16/2020 at 8:18 PM, VegasEagle said:

Jboy has a podcast up with Rob Schuler Rob talks about a mutiny on Auburn’s staff. Good stuff. Jboy podcast. So who were the two coaches, TWILL and Steele? Who was the coach that told Malzahn to fire him?

Ehhh part two sounds like maybe we weren't supposed to leak about the interview

Just a quick nugget here.  This may give some validation to those who believe that the wheels were turning internally to remove Gus well before the State game.  Got to talk to one of the players this week when he came home for break.  He said that Gus had been acting really weird for a couple of weeks before all of this went down.  He said the dancing in the locker room after the State game was something Gus had talked about doing all week almost like he knew it was his last opportunity.  He said they had a feeling something was about to go down.

2 minutes ago, wcware said:

Maybe agent???

It's Cristobal all over again lmao

12 minutes ago, Zeek said:

Unlike Gus he has more than one year at a smaller school

Also unlike Gus who was mentored by Houston Nutt (Arky) and Todd Graham (Tulsa), Napier was mentored for several years by Dabo and Nick. Huge difference in my opinion. 

10 hours ago, Bro Johnny Mac said:

I’m just down the road in the Hayden/Corner area.

Well War Eagle to you.

10 hours ago, PikesEagle said:

I graduated from Carbon Hill back in the day. From what I hear, we have two red lights in town now.

Used to play ball there, but, don't get up that way much.  There is a poster named Taylor Keeton on this board. You may know him or his dad.

Just now, Tony4AU said:

Sure hope Elliott is just making that Coach talk before a big game.  I would hope Auburn reached out to the other four guys on the “list”

As long as they reached out to Napier I am good. Sark is fine too. After Brent then Elliot would be my fourth 

Archived