Coach Candidates Thread (OP Updated 12/22)

Zeek

• Replies 9.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This Steele stuff is working just how it is supposed to. I’ve heard a lot of people say “anyone but Steele”. That’s what they want you to say. That way when the trot in the dud that that undoubtedly will, we are all just relieved it wasn’t KS. Keep your eyes on the prize people. Auburn can do better than “anyone but Steele”. We need a stud who’s going to elevate the program. 

2 minutes ago, DAG said:

As long as they reached out to Napier I am good. Sark is fine too. After Brent then Elliot would be my fourth 

Any chance Billy has an offer and other agents being advised? He would be only other guy that could have interviewed so far.  Oh never mind I am sure JABA.  

1 minute ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

This Steele stuff is working just how it is supposed to. I’ve heard a lot of people say “anyone but Steele”. That’s what they want you to say. That way when the trot in the dud that that undoubtedly will, we are all just relieved it wasn’t KS. Keep your eyes on the prize people. 

Curious who would be more dud than KS?

22 minutes ago, woodford said:

Wish Art Briles had a shot.

Me too.

He was ripped apart unfairly by the media if you actually read the new reports by that Baylor lawyer

1 minute ago, Tony4AU said:

Any chance Billy has an offer and other agents being advised? He would be only other guy that could have interviewed so far.  Oh never mind I am sure JABA.  

I think he needs his interview out the park. The sad thing is I do think these other guys hav to sway the auburn men from Steele . I am really disappointed in people like Bo (rumored) who all are like good ole boy people. 

4 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

This Steele stuff is working just how it is supposed to. I’ve heard a lot of people say “anyone but Steele”. That’s what they want you to say. That way when the trot in the dud that that undoubtedly will, we are all just relieved it wasn’t KS. Keep your eyes on the prize people. Auburn can do better than “anyone but Steele”. We need a stud who’s going to elevate the program. 

So he's the ugly best friend 

1 minute ago, Tony4AU said:

Curious who would be more dud than KS?

Nobody. But there are still a lot of duds. If our only wish becomes no Steele, that gives them a green light to bring in their typical Auburn dud coach. 

3 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

Nobody. But there are still a lot of duds. If our only wish becomes no Steele, that gives them a green light to bring in their typical Auburn dud coach. 

I mean, if that's the criteria, I know a guy that's recently unemployed

50 minutes ago, aubearcat said:

I probably missed it in the earlier pages, but do you have an idea who the coaches were that were at odds with each other and the HC? It's no wonder our defense was so bad this year if that is true.

5 minutes ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

Me too.

He was ripped apart unfairly by the media if you actually read the new reports by that Baylor lawyer

Briles is still on the path to redemption. He needs to take the Freeze route. Slow and steady. I can see the response Greg Schiano got when offered at Tennessee - not good imo.

Just now, PoetTiger said:

Briles is still on the path to redemption. He needs to take the Freeze route. Slow and steady. I can see the response Greg Schiano got when offered at Tennessee - not good imo.

Briles can begin rehab as OC somewhere that needs an new OC right now.  It's the merciful, forgiving thing to do.

Seriously, I'd bet if it's not Steele it's Napier. Safest cheapest hire. Not saying it's right but it 100% seems like the truth.

If what Jboy is saying is true and there is a name out there that is going to be interviewed, I’m going to go out on a limb and predict that it is Bob Stoops.     If he is willing to take on the challenge of Auburn, I believe it would be impactful hire.    He would be the sort of person that good everyone in line and maybe turn this into something special 

8 minutes ago, Zeek said:

Seriously, I'd bet if it's not Steele it's Napier. Safest cheapest hire. Not saying it's right but it 100% seems like the truth.

Not the flashiest hire but I'd be willing to take a chance on him over Steele. 

24 minutes ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

Me too.

Absolutely. He was the scapegoat. The sports media did their damndest to ruin his life. 

Not to judge a coach by one play, but if it was his decision on the play against App State at the end of the game, no thanks to Napier.   That was one of the dumbest decisions I’ve ever seen in a football game 

1 minute ago, aubaseball said:

If what Jboy is saying is true and there is a name out there that is going to be interviewed, I’m going to go out on a limb and predict that it is Bob Stoops.     If he is willing to take on the challenge of Auburn, I believe it would be impactful hire.    He would be the sort of person that good everyone in line and maybe turn this into something special 

Stoops is like Auburn's unicorn. He doesn't exist guys. It's not happening. It was never going to happen. It shouldn't happen. 

He's old. His record in the SEC would be just like Gus. A bunch of 8 wins with no championships.

Please stop.

3 hours ago, Zeek said:

Bro I'm telling you, I think I can become an Auburn or college football writer for a living. Could have wrote this in the Notes app on my phone in like 10 minutes lol.

Lol from September dude.

When was the last time we had a home run coaching hire? It's been a while. I think Tubs was a good hire even though he never won a chip.

Still think the best coach in Auburn history in terms of wins is Shug Jordan followed by Pat Dye. 

Overall Chizik was a bad hire and most of the fans saw that coming. His non cam seasons were arguably worse than those under Gus. 

Gus was mediocre, its like he set the groundwork to make us into a powerhouse in 2013 and 2014 but had a huge drop off after that. Wasn't a great coach but he wasn't terrible. 

Archived