Coach Candidates Thread (OP Updated 12/22)

Zeek

Last post before bed. Cristobal is going to keep winning at Oregon and then replace Saban at Alabama. He'll proceed to kick our ass for another decade of lopsided recruiting.

• Replies 9.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There are so many people that have a hard on for us to hire Steele Bc they didn’t want Gus to be let go it’s unreal. They’re just as bad as the PTB. They would rather see AU suffer Bc Gus was let go than see us ascend to new heights. Sad really 

1 minute ago, Maverick.AU said:

The typical careful what you wish for. Yea it wouldn’t be so “careful” if we actually had people that cared about the success of auburn athletics vs having their way

True, but there were a lot of people in this forum that wanted Gus as the next head coach after Chizik bombed in 2012. Of course, he bombed because Gus Malzahn's recruitment of Kiehl Frasier turned out to be a total disaster.

Just now, murpjf88 said:

True, but there were a lot of people in this forum that wanted Gus as the next head coach after Chizik bombed in 2012. Of course, he bombed because Gus Malzahn's recruitment of Kiehl Frasier turned out to be a total disaster.

And that’s fair but you can’t be scared of change. Gus was only going to bring us 8-5 with the occasional chance year here and there. You aren’t going to bring a program up a level with that, especially with that pay. For the way we recruited, at minimum, the players deserved a better chance at success 

12 minutes ago, DAG said:

I really like all four possible candidates 

Steele disqualified himself to me when I heard his coordinators choices

Three of these guys are relentless recruiters 

two of them have HC experience 

One with extensive Power 5 experience 

I am more interested in the culture these guys will bring but more importantly , who would their staff be. 

Who is on Steele Coordinator list?

12 minutes ago, DAG said:

I really like all four possible candidates 

Steele disqualified himself to me when I heard his coordinators choices

Three of these guys are relentless recruiters 

two of them have HC experience 

One with extensive Power 5 experience 

I am more interested in the culture these guys will bring but more importantly , who would their staff be. 

I really wanna know who Venables would bring as OC 

2 minutes ago, murpjf88 said:

Gus seemed like a good option at the time. Auburn had done better when he was around

Just now, drewzums343 said:

Gus seemed like a good option at the time. Auburn had done better when he was around

Also considering we were fed that chiz handcuffed him, we were gonna get the real hunh O, etc

Also considering we were fed that chiz handcuffed him, we were gonna get the real hunh O, etc

Speaking on this, I was surprised to hear Jboy on his podcast the other day say that lane would have to slow his O down to bring a legitimate OC to AU. I mean isn’t slowing down the O when we started having our problems? Lol

Gus was stubborn,  in 2013, our offense was good because we ran the ball so much and then opened it up with the play action. He absolutely refused to innovate as teams figured him out which brought our offense back to 2011 and 2012. That was his downfall. He handcuffed himself 

Just now, drewzums343 said:

Gus was stubborn,  in 2013, our offense was good because we ran the ball so much and then opened it up with the play action. He absolutely refused to innovate as teams figured him out which brought our offense back to 2011 and 2012. That was his downfall. He handcuffed himself 

He handcuffed himself Bc he was able to run 5 plays and be successful early on and never adapted to more than that.

Not sure if I read the article about interviews correct or not.  Is that the search firm list or the search committee? Auburn doesn’t necessarily have to go by it.  Would be great if some other names out there interested.  

4 minutes ago, Maverick.AU said:

There are so many people that have a hard on for us to hire Steele Bc they didn’t want Gus to be let go it’s unreal. They’re just as bad as the PTB. They would rather see AU suffer Bc Gus was let go than see us ascend to new heights. Sad really 

Upfront I’m all about a culture change on the plains. With that said I have played devils advocate with dozens of people.

I have already posted I think the good ole boys and lazy hiring has haunted the program for years.

The good old boy way of thinking is pay Gus to be gone, retain CKS and most of the staff. By doing this you only have to change the offensive philosophy and you keep the continuity across most the staff. Just my 2 cents to try and justify all the madness. Cheers and merry Christmas!

2 minutes ago, Bo Didley said:

Upfront I’m all about a culture change on the plains. With that said I have played devils advocate with dozens of people.

I have already posted I think the good ole boys and lazy hiring has haunted the program for years.

The good old boy way of thinking is pay Gus to be gone, retain CKS and most of the staff. By doing this you only have to change the offensive philosophy and you keep the continuity across most the staff. Just my 2 cents to try and justify all the madness. Cheers and merry Christmas!

And keeping the continuity on the staff isnt really a good thing. t will has had his problems, garner is about ready to retire. Kodi without Gus, who knows what will happen. Idk personally other than caddy, I think the whole staff needs a wipe

2 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

Awesome coach. That QB they have is awful and has a noodle arm and they just won another conference title. But kirby and saban and dabo would love if we hired him. Wouldn't be afraid at him at all on the trail.

Not true I think

Just now, MoneyDuck5 said:

Go Ducks! Also, whoever thinks Cristobal didn't sign his extension, the Board approved the contract that Cristobal and Oregon worked out since March this year, so it's signed.

**** off lol. 

2 minutes ago, Maverick.AU said:

And keeping the continuity on the staff isnt really a good thing. t will has had his problems, garner is about ready to retire. Kodi without Gus, who knows what will happen. Idk personally other than caddy, I think the whole staff needs a wipe

I’m with you. I’m playing devils advocate on what the possible thought process is. I don’t know the money standpoint but a raise for Steele and no staff buyouts maybe another way they see it. I’m just trying to make it make sense.

1 minute ago, MoneyDuck5 said:

Go Ducks! Also, whoever thinks Cristobal didn't sign his extension, the Board approved the contract that Cristobal and Oregon worked out since March this year, so it's signed.

Please tells me a legit reason you joined this board other than to be a troll?

Archived