Coach Candidates Thread (OP Updated 12/22)

Zeek

1 hour ago, AuMarine said:

I like Freeze and Cristobal and honestly I would prefer Freeze but listening to the baggage that he would bring to program as far as NCAA is concerned, I think we will be wise to stay away from that.  Hopefully it is a done deal with Cristobal and we are just dotting Is and crossing Ts. If it were to be Napier I think that is a big chance we would be taking and I think if it is Napier, it is because we whiffed on Cristobal for whatever reason. 

I’ve pretty much given up on freeze. The longer this goes out , I don’t think it will happen. I am honestly leaning towards LK being a serious option 

• Replies 9.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, DAG said:

I’ve pretty much given up on freeze. The longer this goes out , I don’t think it will happen. I am honestly leaning towards LK being a serious option 

At this point I will just be happy if it’s not a typical Auburn being Auburn hire like we are worried about 😂

4 minutes ago, Swamp Eagle said:

Would make perfect sense to assume that Auburn would get Steele cheaper than the market; he retains who he retains to save additional buyout money; finds a known quantity OC/play caller; takes him up to state retirement; saves Auburn a bundle of money during the buyout/payout, then hires again in a few years.

That would be exactly like something that Auburn would do.

Discipline your mind.  Control your thoughts and do not speak of it.

9 minutes ago, gr82b4au said:

I really don’t think it is OUR fan base 

Well, even on this site we had arguments for six, or seven years about who was calling the plays. 

Just saying. 

6 minutes ago, WarEagleHunter1221 said:

Money talks to.....everyone. Does Auburn have enough money to outbid Oregon for Cristobal. 

I did read that the extension being mentioned was actually being worked on before this season even started. 

I think another hurdle is that he has an amazing class coming in that will sign in 2 days. He will dominate the pac 12 with that class. With Nike money and great recruits he is set. Just depends on if he wants to go to the Sec. that is the big question and it appears that he will stay unless he changed his mind overnight. You never know. 

1 minute ago, The Freak said:

Steele is the fallback candidate.  Auburn is JABA, but not that JABA.

Steele should be the fall back TO the fall back candidate! lol. And honestly even way further down that list. Look He has been a good DC for us. But he was a terrible Head Coach AND NOT EVEN A GOOD DC for literally any other school until he got to Auburn. At least Chizik was a rock star DC for AU and Texas before his disaster at Iowa State.

Whomever the new coach will be, I hope he has a chip on his shoulder.  I hope he feels he has something to prove and not just happy to be here.  I hope he has a plan and not gimmicks and a bunch of tricks. I hope he can adapt his offense during the game when the original game plan is working.  

I do not see Mario Cristobal as being that dude. IMO, he is not an upgrade and he is a "safe" pick. I don't want a "nice guy" coach. I want a edgy coach that runs a clean program. Who is that? I've already mentioned his name but of course that probably won't happen.

2 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Steele should be the fall back TO the fall back candidate! lol. And honestly even way further down that list. Look He has been a good DC for us. But he was a terrible Head Coach AND NOT EVEN A GOOD DC for literally any other school until he got to Auburn. At least Chizik was a rock star DC for AU and Texas before his disaster at Iowa State.

Yup. The good to great defense we had 2016-19 was mostly Champ.

3 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

I’m not entirely convinced his defense wouldn’t have slid back into pre Muschamp status with 2 or 3 more years. Seems like the more Muschamp guys he loses, the sketchier the defense gets. Watching us get steamrolled every week in the running game was hard, after the 3 or so years of nobody being able to run on us.

1 minute ago, GwillMac6 said:

Is this right?  I distinctly remember a cadre of regulars here pushing for  Steele as HC not too long ago.   He has not forgotten how to coach, has he?

Just now, AURealist said:

Is this right?  I distinctly remember a cadre of regulars here pushing for  Steele as HC not too long ago.   He has not forgotten how to coach, has he?

ON HERE?!??!! REALLY???? That is egregious. What a freaking joke it would to pay 21 million for Gus to leave only to keep most of the same staff intact give or take a few changes. smh.

I don't understand the hype around Cristobal, those of you that want him please enlighten me

He  had 1 good year at Oregon...that's all.....he has a losing record.....

please tell me why he would be a great coach at Auburn

The worst compliment you can give someone is......"He has potential" which means he has done nothing yet.....

59 minutes ago, AuburnTiger4Life said:

He’s referring to his job security at Virginia Tech. Definitely not an Auburn HC candidate 

But a possible Gus destination.  The fans want him there. 

2 minutes ago, AURealist said:

Check his HC record. Disaster.

1 minute ago, JJB74 said:

I don't understand the hype around Cristobal, those of you that want him please enlighten me

He  had 1 good year at Oregon...that's all.....he has a losing record.....

please tell me why he would be a great coach at Auburn

The worst compliment you can give someone is......"He has potential" which means he has done nothing yet.....

Recruiting, recruiting, recruiting.

Oh, and recruiting.

8 minutes ago, tbone4jc said:

Whomever the new coach will be, I hope he has a chip on his shoulder.  I hope he feels he has something to prove and not just happy to be here.  I hope he has a plan and not gimmicks and a bunch of tricks. I hope he can adapt his offense during the game when the original game plan is working.  

I do not see Mario Cristobal as being that dude. IMO, he is not an upgrade and he is a "safe" pick. I don't want a "nice guy" coach. I want a edgy coach that runs a clean program. Who is that? I've already mentioned his name but of course that probably won't happen.

I know it's not who you said, but Napier fits that mold.  He is edgy and aggressive, but no nonsense. 

1 minute ago, AUBwins said:

I know it's not who you said, but Napier fits that mold.  He is edgy and aggressive, but no nonsense. 

To me BN means we couldn’t get any of the power 5 coaches or coaches who have power 5 experience here. I think BN is a huge risk on the field. Just my opinion.

Just now, Barnacle said:

Surprised to see Lane Kiffin's name floating around. I don't think that's realistic. 

Neither do I. However, it's intriguing even if just for entertainment purposes. 

3 minutes ago, johnnyAU said:

Chris Peterson is a great coach. I just don't see him making the move to the SEC.

He won't be. Nor have I seen anyone mention him as a possibility. He loves the west coast and has personal reasons to remain there.

3 minutes ago, johnnyAU said:

Chris Peterson is a great coach. I just don't see him making the move to the SEC.

He has a child that has a rare disease and the treatment hospital is on the west coast . He will probably never leave the west coast . Someone correct me if I am wrong 

1 minute ago, DAG said:

To me BN means we couldn’t get any of the power 5 coaches or coaches who have power 5 experience here. I think BN is a huge risk on the field. Just my opinion.

I agree with this.  Now whether that means the P5 coaches saying no to us or ruling them out due to baggage, I would think MC is and should be #1 choice to try to get.  Another surprise P5 if possible (Lane for example), then Napier for Elite recruiting and coaching pedigree. Then the backup options, then Steele lol. 

3 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

Surprised to see Lane Kiffin's name floating around. I don't think that's realistic. 

Our football might be no better than with Gus, but our troll game would be Championship Master level pure grade plutonium.

Archived