Coach Candidates Thread (OP Updated 12/22)

Zeek

The timing seems perfect so far. Auburn obviously was told by MC's camp he was highly interested. Auburn has responded with an offer now that Gus is gone. Now MC will make a decision and if AU he informs his team in person. If his camp played AU for a raise we move on. 

Likely they gauged Freeze for interest and Steele a courtesy listen. I suspect they start reviewing Billy Napier if Mario declines. Just because Freeze reached out or responded to questions about his interest does not mean he is at the top of list. Same for Steele.

• Replies 9.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, tbone4jc said:

Where am I wrong? Facts back up everything I have said.prove me wrong..

Go look up what he inherited at FIU and what the reality of that program is, and then come back to me and tell me what exactly his record there is supposed to mean. That program started playing football in 2002. As in that was their first year...EVER. 

1 minute ago, ClaytonAU said:

If you just keep copying and pasting this over and over I’m sure someone will agree with you. 

I don't copy and paste. But I am regurgitating this because it's the truth. If we hire MC then we will be in the same position as we were when we hired Chizik and CGM. He will not be a good coach in the SEC. 

5 minutes ago, tbone4jc said:

Dude. Gus was a good recruiter. It is proven that you can be a great recruiter but suck as a head coach. Look at MC's record. He got fired at FIU. He had 1 good year at Oregon.  Why so infatuated with this dude. He is not the good and 51-56 proves that.

HE IS A GREAT RECRUITER. He is not a good recruiter. Dude has Oregon with the number 4 class in the country right now. Freaking Oregon. OMGSH enough with the FIU talk. Christ. That is all you have. He won a conference championship there after taking over for a sanction ravaged program.

2 minutes ago, tbone4jc said:

Where am I wrong? Facts back up everything I have said.prove me wrong..

Gus is a good coach because he is 76-38 as a head coach.

If you only look at the record and not the context, you can make argument. 

1 minute ago, tbone4jc said:

I don't copy and paste. But I am regurgitating this because it's the truth. If we hire MC then we will be in the same position as we were when we hired Chizik and CGM. He will not be a good coach in the SEC. 

I really hope we get to find out if you are right. Anyone but Kevin Steele though.

He won the PAC 12 and beat Wisconsin in the Rose Bowl last year. In his 2nd season. Coaches can improve.  He was 34 when he took over an FIU that had previously gone 0-35 before he showed up.

3 minutes ago, tbone4jc said:

4 minutes ago, AUBourne said:

The timing seems perfect so far. Auburn obviously was told by MC's camp he was highly interested. Auburn has responded with an offer now that Gus is gone. Now MC will make a decision and if AU he informs his team in person. If his camp played AU for a raise we move on. 

Likely they gauged Freeze for interest and Steele a courtesy listen. I suspect they start reviewing Billy Napier if Mario declines. Just because Freeze reached out or responded to questions about his interest does not mean he is at the top of list. Same for Steele.

One of the few very reasonable posts!   Thank you!   It’s funny that people are freaking out about “the wait” at 9:30 the next morning.   🤣

Even "proven" head coaches aren't guaranteed to perform well at their next stop. Look at Chip Kelly, Jim Harbaugh, and Rich Rodriguez. No matter what, we took a risk firing Gus in favor of someone else. The only way we'll know if we made the right choice is time.

13 minutes ago, GAAubie said:

This thread is GOLD! It's funny to watch the melt down of all the people that have been screaming for a new coach and watching them panic when the hire doesn't happen fast enough or if it seems that we will be getting more of the same from the PTB. We have the most impatient fanbase in sports and we will want to fire whomever is hired before next season on the Auburn message boards. This is almost as entertaining as the threads when we are trying to hire a new coordinator. 

Damn you.

If I have to eat crow to @Mikey, @WarTim and @AUFriction I swear.

10 minutes ago, Ryan Sanders said:

I would assume most of us only supported removing Malzahn if we were going to replace him with something much better. 

We are on the same page, but many wanted anyone but Gus. When you turned down the $1000 and take the curtain, you may get the whammy.

1 minute ago, GwillMac6 said:

HE IS A GREAT RECRUITER. He is not a good recruiter. Dude has Oregon with the number 4 class in the country right now. Freaking Oregon. OMGSH enough with the FIU talk. Christ. That is all you have. He won a conference championship there after taking over for a sanction ravaged program.

What did he do this year? Y'all got a hard on for this dude for having 1 good season. He lost to a Auburn team coached by CGM, that should scream bad hire more than anything. I don't see it by his resume. Heck, CGC won us a National Championship but that didn't make him a good HCdid it? Your logic doesn't add up.

2 minutes ago, AUBourne said:

He won the PAC 12 and beat Wisconsin in the Rose Bowl last year. In his 2nd season. Coaches can improve.  He was 34 when he took over an FIU that had previously gone 0-35 before he showed up.

No disrespect, but that team he had last year had no business not being undefeated and in the playoffs. Great recruiter and all but that is the truth.  Also was his third season. I would be happy with CMC is here, but not if we are in a bidding war.

18 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Because Oregon obviously is not going down without a fight.

I think we had him and now we are not sure and we are looking for a backup plan. Just my opinion. 

Leaving this here...

Gogue's process is a problem this time

By Phillip Marshall

It’s not about process, or at least it shouldn’t be. Auburn is without a head football coach, and time is running short. This is like no other year and no other search.

Auburn president Jay Gogue desires to appoint a committee and have a full-blown search. Most years, that would be OK. This isn’t one of those years. Gogue has stuck to his processes. He refused to discuss  Gus Malzahn’s future until after the season. And now, with Malzahn fired, he wants a repeat of the process that hired Malzahn in the first place.

But that’s a problem.

When Gene Chizik was fired after the 2012 season, former AD Jay Jacobs and his search committee took their time. But Malzahn was hired on Dec. 12. Today is Dec. 14. The pandemic-altered season has changed everything.

Signing Day is on Dec. 16. That is Wednesday. If Auburn doesn’t have a permanent head coach, it stands to lose most of this recruiting cycle, and that includes some players that haven’t publicly committed but were interested in signing. Yes, there is a second signing day, but Wednesday is the day the vast majority of players will sign.

It is important, clearly, for Auburn’s administration to do its best to hire the right person.. But there just isn’t time for that to include a bunch of people sitting around and talking about how impressive someone is an interview. It’s clear that Auburn is not going to go pay a large buyout to get somebody out of a contract and pay another $7 million or so per season for a new coach.

If interim coach Kevin Steele is the guy, get it done. If he’s not the guy, identify who is and get it done. To go through all this and still hire Steele, having handicapped him greatly by destroying his chances to recruit because of demanding process be honored, makes no sense at all. And I really believe that’s what the outcome would be.

Time is of the essence. Gogue chose to stick his long-held policy of waiting until the season was over, but seasons are usually over the last Saturday in November or the first Saturday in December. We are almost two weeks beyond that. South Carolina made its move early, went through a search and has its coach. For Auburn, it’s too late for that. If Gogue wanted that, he should have been open to discussing Malzahn’s future weeks ago.

No one at Auburn should care what anyone, anywhere else thinks. It’s not the process that counts. It’s not appearances that count. It’s the result. A committee can talk to a dozen coaches, and whoever is hired will still be a roll of the dice. There is not a coach out there that Auburn can hire who has proved he can win and contend for championships in the SEC. Not one

Forget Hugh Freeze. That’s not happening at Auburn or anywhere else in the SEC. Maybe Mario Cristobal could do it and maybe not. Billy Napier? Who knows?

Like it or not, time matters more than it ever has in an Auburn coaching search. Acting quickly is far more important than focusing on process or appearances. The process doesn’t matter. Appearances don’t matter. What the faculty thinks shouldn’t matter. Results matter. And by Wednesday morning, time will be up.

1 minute ago, tbone4jc said:

What did he do this year? Y'all got a hard on for this dude for having 1 good season. He lost to a Auburn team coached by CGM, that should scream bad hire more than anything. I don't see it by his resume. Heck, CGC won us a National Championship but that didn't make him a good HCdid it? Your logic doesn't add up.

And? Saban lost to Gus last year. What is your point? We need a elite recruiter. He fits the bill. That is why people want him. What is so hard to get?

3 minutes ago, AUBourne said:

He got fired from FIU because of his last 2 years . CGC won us a NC but that did not make him a good coach. MC's record this year? And again ,its the PAC 12,  who else was relevant? 

Just now, ellitor said:

Leaving this here...

oh goodie looks like P Marsh got his latest talking points from some money men. He always has been a good little errand boy for them. He is also arguing with everyone against steele in the comment section.....

7 minutes ago, AUBourne said:

If he can beat Wisconsin in a bowl game sign him up!

Archived