Coach Candidates Thread (OP Updated 12/22)

Zeek

4 minutes ago, DAG said:

Honestly, Why are we waiting. Maybe I am wrong, but it was made to seem like Mario WANTED to be here and all it took was the firing of Gus for this to happen. Now, we are waiting..it just doesn't seem right. I would think a good gesture would've been made behind the scenes. 

@DAGI don't think we are waiting. We are battling Oregon for him. Almost positive we have made an offer to him regardless of whatever gets reported.

• Replies 9.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, GwillMac6 said:

If only AU was a logical place. It is not.

The thing about it is, it still wouldn’t make sense but it would make more sense if it was he’s the “interim” for next season. This is just a giant cluster ___ just like everything else with auburn football

For the first time since I can remember.. many many many years... I chose to NOT watch the Auburn/Miss St game this past Saturday. I've never missed an Auburn game because I had the choice.. if I did miss a game, it was life not allowing me to. Malzahn (who I respect) slowly made me not enjoy watching Auburn football. 

I would be willing to bet that I am not the only one who was feeling that way and probably didn't even care to watch the game. 

If they hire Steele or some other proven (to not be a good) head coach, then I don't see anything changing for me next season. We need someone that will bring excitement and HOPE back to the program. I've never felt this way about Auburn football.

Malzahn had 8 years as HC.... we were rebuilding 70% of the time. Kevin Steele (in my opinion) takes that number to about 99%. 

1 minute ago, ellitor said:

@DAGI don't think we are waiting. We are battling Oregon for him. Almost positive we have made an offer to him regardless of whatever gets reported.

So I guess my question again is why is there a battle? We have seen this in the past with Malzhan using Arkansas as a way to raise his prices. 

1 minute ago, tbone4jc said:

No. Just stop already...

Mario would be a incredible hire FOR RECRUITING. He won the pac 12 and the rose bowl last season. What is there not to get? 

2 minutes ago, DAG said:

I find that hard to believe as this is the definition of a good ole boy hire, if this is the case. 

Like I said JABA hire but if you ever met him you'd know he's not easily controlled at all.

1 minute ago, DAG said:

So I guess my question again is why is there a battle? We have seen this in the past with Malzhan using Arkansas as a way to raise his prices. 

Because Oregon obviously is not going down without a fight.

Just now, ellitor said:

Like I said JABA hire but if you ever met him you'd know he's not easily controlled at all.

Yeah well he never had people like this go to bat for him as well.  To me he his the safest hire because they KNOW what they will get from him. That is being controlled to a tee. He obviously has no business being considered for a HC gig.

1 minute ago, ellitor said:

But why give him a “deal” if you’re going to do that? Why not make it either an interim or 1 year deal and we see where we are at next year? Surely something like that would be the plan if we hired Steele,  right?

This thread is GOLD! It's funny to watch the melt down of all the people that have been screaming for a new coach and watching them panic when the hire doesn't happen fast enough or if it seems that we will be getting more of the same from the PTB. We have the most impatient fanbase in sports and we will want to fire whomever is hired before next season on the Auburn message boards. This is almost as entertaining as the threads when we are trying to hire a new coordinator. 

any chance this is to hold the class together or at least the defensive recruits because even if we have our guy its not likely to get done by wednesday morning?

that would be a dishonest and dumb (imo) way to do it, but i don't understand why we would fire gus only to hire our DC as HC. it doens't make sense.

Just now, ellitor said:

So again, this SHOULD'VE BEEN OBVIOUS. Why are we fighting a battle with Oregon to get this guy? Have we not learned anything in regards to Gus Malzhan using Arkansas to do the very same thing. 

3 minutes ago, ellitor said:

I believe this the most. I am sure the PTB knew that it would be a bidding war from his current employer. 

The key will be, does MC simply want to stay where he is?  If he does, and it seems he does if he is willing to listen to Oregon's counter offer. 

If he sincerely wants to come south, he would not force Auburn to continue to outbid. He would have let them know what he needed to come....I don't believe he is doing it this way.

3 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Yeah, if Oregon WASN'T fighting for him, that would be all you would need to know 

Just now, steeleagle said:

I believe this the most. I am sure the PTB knew that it would be a bidding war from his current employer. 

The key will be, does MC simply want to stay where he is?  If he does, and it seems he does if he is willing to listen to Oregon's counter offer. 

If he sincerely wants to come south, he would not force Auburn to continue to outbid. He would have let them know what he needed to come....I don't believe he is doing it this way.

This is my concern. I don't think this guy is worth a bidding war, TBH. 

4 minutes ago, GAAubie said:

This thread is GOLD! It's funny to watch the melt down of all the people that have been screaming for a new coach and watching them panic when the hire doesn't happen fast enough or if it seems that we will be getting more of the same from the PTB. We have the most impatient fanbase in sports and we will want to fire whomever is hired before next season on the Auburn message boards. This is almost as entertaining as the threads when we are trying to hire a new coordinator. 

I would assume most of us only supported removing Malzahn if we were going to replace him with something much better. 

2 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Mario would be a incredible hire FOR RECRUITING. He won the pac 12 and the rose bowl last season. What is there not to get? 

Dude. Gus was a good recruiter. It is proven that you can be a great recruiter but suck as a head coach. Look at MC's record. He got fired at FIU. He had 1 good year at Oregon.  Why so infatuated with this dude. He is not the good and 51-56 proves that.

Just now, DAG said:

This is my concern. I don't think this guy is worth a bidding war, TBH. 

If he is not worth bidding for, then who is a good enough hire to qualify as a quality hire? I don't want Freeze, so don't go there....:)

Dude. Gus was a good recruiter. It is proven that you can be a great recruiter but suck as a head coach. Look at MC's record. He got fired at FIU. He had 1 good year at Oregon.  Why so infatuated with this dude. He is not the good and 51-56 proves that.

You're wrong. Nothing more to be said.

If you just keep copying and pasting this over and over I’m sure someone will agree with you. 

No Thx. We need an elite recruiter. Not sure he is, plus, OMG, the baggage, and I really don't need our coach in hot tubs with students,

Just now, metafour said:

You're wrong. Nothing more to be said.

Where am I wrong? Facts back up everything I have said.prove me wrong..

Just now, steeleagle said:

If he is not worth bidding for, then who is a good enough hire to qualify as a quality hire? I don't want Freeze, so don't go there....:)

Yeah freeze. It doesn't matter if you don't want him. He is actually the best coach out of all of these guys. But even if you don't want him, then I would go to CBN. I wouldn't break the bank for CMC. That is just me. 

5 minutes ago, Maverick.AU said:

But why give him a “deal” if you’re going to do that? Why not make it either an interim or 1 year deal and we see where we are at next year? Surely something like that would be the plan if we hired Steele,  right?

@Maverick.AUSeparate issues. I agree with all your questions but Steele the man & coach is not easily controlled if he became the HC. This is not an endorsement of him. Just saying no one will be pulling his strings if he is HC.

Archived