Coach Candidates Thread (OP Updated 12/22)

Zeek

• Replies 9.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Sizzle said:

Been saying this since graduation. I have seen this movie before. Starts out great but ends awful. With the same executive producer and directors. If the new coach is being asked to keep Steele (who I like btw) then it’s the same old thing Auburn has done in the  past.

1 minute ago, Barnacle said:

I've said all along that if Auburn fires Gus, they better not do it without having "their guy" wrapped up. The rumors about the money being split on who to hire are pretty disconcerting.

I think that MC is and always has been the main target. We more than likely reached out to him a week or so ago. I think he said he would listen and was very interested but Oregon found out and will now pay him dearly. Add that to the fact that he has an amazing recruiting class coming in and it appears more likely that he will now stay than it did even a few days ago. It is rare that a P5 good winning coach goes to another P5 program. It rarely happens, if ever. But we are trying.
if that fails we may go the Steele route although I think BN will get an interview. 

2 minutes ago, CinciFlame said:

Liberty fan here hoping we hang on to Freeze. The buyout at Liberty is 10-12m so that's a lot to spend when you've just dropped 21m. 

Good coach but with his baggage I don’t think he will get an interview. 

10 minutes ago, CinciFlame said:

Liberty fan here hoping we hang on to Freeze. The buyout at Liberty is 10-12m so that's a lot to spend when you've just dropped 21m. 

Auburn isn’t dropping 21. They are dropping 10 and a plan will be worked out with Gus on payments for the rest. With that said, I hope it isn’t Freeze either. 

26 minutes ago, bigbird said:

If Cristobal, I'd love for him to bring in Phil Longo as OC. 

That would be a great get, our offensive recruiting would be insane.  Player development and diversity on offense the likes we haven’t seen in a long time.

9 minutes ago, Tiger Refuge said:

What it must be like to actually be an insider and come here to read some of the stuff being thrown around.

Even with the tidbits of what we’ve learned here without it being it private is leaps and bounds ahead of what people are commenting on Facebook posts. 

14 minutes ago, KnightTiger said:

yella fella is reportedly one of the guys that wants Stoops (Bob) not sure how much influence he has though

We’ll id say he clearly has as much influence as anyone. 

14 minutes ago, KnightTiger said:

yella fella is reportedly one of the guys that wants Stoops (Bob) not sure how much influence he has though

I personally believe MARK Stoops would be a very solid choice.

1 minute ago, NoALtiger said:

We’ll id say he clearly has as much influence as anyone. 

If he made that happen I would build me a new deck. I’m just sayin

3 minutes ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

Even with the tidbits of what we’ve learned here without it being it private is leaps and bounds ahead of what people are commenting on Facebook posts. 

One only has to read a few posts on Facebook to confirm there are a majority of idiots in our fanbase.

2 minutes ago, alexava said:

I haven’t went through the thread. But I would at least talk to Chris Peterson 

I would still be OK with him in the list

3 minutes ago, Eagle-1 said:

One only has to read a few posts on Facebook to confirm there are a majority of idiots in our fanbase.

Amen to that.

43 minutes ago, KnightTiger said:

Phil and Ron both believe Steele is the leading candidate due to the big money folks wanting to save cash i guess if thats the case announcement probably sometime today

The "saving money" part makes no sense, because we pay Gus either way. There has to be a benefit from removing Gus.

This suggests Gus was the problem all along, and simply removing Gus fixes all that ills Auburn football.

That our offensive issues will magically disappear by simply removing the meddling Gus and freeing Morris.

That our decline from a Top 12 recruiting history to 42nd will magically right itself skyrocketing back up to Top 10 if Gus simply is not the head coach.

That despite Gus' questionable past assistant coaches were suspect (i.e., Hand), Gus' current hiring of assistants was now perfect, it was just his leadership as HC that was flawed, and we simply had to remove him, while keeping the staff in place.

If this is the case, I am not against the idea of firing Gus and promoting Steele. But if this is the case, someone needs to leak this out to the sports press, to placate the fans that this is a thoughtful and thought out decision, not a random and rash one.

13 minutes ago, Eagle-1 said:

I really don’t think it is OUR fan base 

Would make perfect sense to assume that Auburn would get Steele cheaper than the market; he retains who he retains to save additional buyout money; finds a known quantity OC/play caller; takes him up to state retirement; saves Auburn a bundle of money during the buyout/payout, then finds his replacement in a few years.

That would be exactly like something that Auburn would do.

4 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

It ain't Steele. C'mon, y'all. 

PLEASE PLEASE knock on wood. I will never ever forgot the moment I saw Chizik was getting a interview in 08... then it was reported that he was a serious candidate and then it was chizik is the top candidate and then poof it was that he was hired. It was basically all the stages of grief!!! lol. JABA is a thing for a reason......

Archived