Bowl Game Thread?

BigBlueWDE

Don't see one elsewhere...gotta be Auburn vs. either Indiana or Northwestern in the Citrus, right?

4 Observations watching the selection show:

1) Why does ESPN continue to push the Bear down our throats? my gosh, he has trouble communicating a point

2) I can NOT believe that tOSU made it in with 6 wins *sarcasm* This is proof that the season is set before it begins and we merely participate in confirmation bias throughout the season.

3) We would be FURIOUS today if we went' 9-1 w/ a road loss vs. consensus #1 Bama and were left out in favor of a team that played 4 fewer games or a team that was destroyed in its last game.

4) I can't remember caring less where Auburn ended up

Another observation:

I am liking Herbstreit less and less as times goes on. Telling the Cincinnati AD that he should "take the high road" after he merely said they want to start the year with "we just want a path to compete at the highest levels. Some good football is being played in these conferences. we just want a path"

1 minute ago, BigBlueWDE said:

Another observation:

I am liking Herbstreit less and less as times goes on. Telling the Cincinnati AD that he should "take the high road" after he merely said they want to start the year with "we just want a path to compete at the highest levels. Some good football is being played in these conferences. we just want a path"

I’m thinking the Cinci AD DID take the high road when he said that.  The playoff committee is an utter f’ing joke.  

It's not hard- 6 team playoff.

6 that are in are P5 conference winners and highest ranked non group of 5 if in the top 10, otherwise it's a wild card voted in by committee and gets auto 6 seed. Reseed the 6 based on same top 4 criteria, give top 2 bye and play 3 rounds- quarter, semi, and grand finale. 

Every conference plays 8-10 games, however they decide they want it divided (a few neutral site cross conference games or all in conference), but each conference MUST have divisions and a conference championship the first week of December. In 2 weeks is the quarter final and semi final is NYE. Final is first weekend after NYE. Winner would play 12-14 games.

If you do 8 you have too many variables. Make winning your conference matter, don't reward the 2nd best team in a conference because it's "fair".

Auburn headed to Citrus Bowl to play No. 14 Northwestern

ByNATHAN KING 

Auburn is headed back to the Sunshine State for bowl season.

In Auburn's first bowl game without Gus Malzahn as the head coach since 2011, the Tigers will take on Northwestern in the Citrus Bowl in Orlando on New Year's Day, the organization announced on its website Sunday afternoon.

Twenty teams have opted out of bowl games this season, but none so far from the SEC. Since the coaching change was made a week ago, Auburn's players and staff held meetings about whether the team wanted to prepare for and play a bowl game, and ultimately, the Tigers decided playing one more game in their 2020 season is more beneficial than it is detrimental.

Since the turn of the century, Auburn has played a Big Ten team in a bowl eight times  more than any other conference foe during that span  with a clean 4-4 record.

Northwestern (6-2) finished the season at No. 14 in Sunday's final College Football Playoff rankings. If Auburn wins in Orlando, it would the Tigers' only victory of the season over a team currently with a winning record.

In the Malzahn era, Auburn never beat a ranked team in a bowl game, going 2-5 overall with its only bowl wins coming over Purdue and Memphis.

Under 15th-year coach Pat Fitzgerald, Northwestern started 5-0 and lost just one of its seven regular-season games (29-20 at Michigan State). The Wildcats led at halftime in the Big Ten championship game against Ohio State but failed to score in the second half, losing 22-10.

14COMMENTS

The teams have met only once before in their history in the 2009 Outback Bowl, with Auburn winning a wild game, 38-35 in overtime.

The cynical side of me sees this as the perfect setup for the PTB to let the hiring process drag out until CKS can prove himself against a Top15 conference runner-up

Mildcats they aint - took Buckeyes the distance and led them most of the title game. We historically either crush or suck against Big 10 teams, Northwestern was one of the few well played & close games. Another was '90 Peach vs Indiana.

38 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

It’s really gonna be Chad’s show with no Gus.  It’ll be interesting to see how different it will look.

other than maybe a few more touches for the TE, unless there's been an upgrade at talent in a few key positions, I wouldn't hold my breath.

Archived