Jeff Pitman hired as S&C coach

Zeek

3 minutes ago, Maverick.AU said:

And @Zeek I’m not saying that this is a 10/10 hire. Your 6/10 is more accurate. However due to fractured culture and some old school hard nosed guys, I have optimism about it

Most fans will forget his name in a week or so. Just need some more names soon. I didn't wait two weeks to hear John Goodman is coming to the plains lol

3 minutes ago, DAG said:

Well someone needs to put his name on it at least. It’s like the anonymous teammate quote ESPN likes to use 

Agreed, it's whatever. If he isn't up to snuff Hars seems like the guy that will cut the fat.

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply
34 minutes ago, Maverick.AU said:

He sounds very old school, which is awesome. Nate solder spoke very highly of him as well. S&C coaches don’t need to be “fiery” they need the right approach and to hold players accountable to get the most out of their training.

Solder’s last year at Colorado was a decade ago. A lot has changed in the world of strength and conditioning since then. I’m hoping for the best, but let’s hope Pitman has evolved his approach to strength and conditioning more than Gus evolved his offensive philosophy.

5 minutes ago, Zeek said:

The "secret" is putting the Hang Clean and Power Clean into a fancy graph ;).  

You don't really want an in shape looking buff pretty boy for S&C. This isn't bodybuilding, it's power lifting!! 

You ever seen an Olympic power lifter? Hardly the buff pretty boy type!

Big, strong, angry young men. It's what you need in power lifting and it's what you need in football!

gabo

40 minutes ago, Zeek said:

From someone who knows Pitman:

Blah blah blah (crossfit, marine, endurance athlete)...blah, blah, blah. Stopped listening there. Would Kaz still compete with the World's strongest man competitors today if he were in his prime? Strong hasn't changed since Hercules.

38 minutes ago, Zeek said:

A little about me. I am a former Marine, competitive runner, competitive CrossFitter, and weightlifter. I have owned and sold two businesses (gyms) that afforded me the opportunity to train individual tactical athletes, multi-sport collegiate athletes, special forces inductees, professional CrossFitters, and endurance athletes. I mentor S&C coaches/CrossFit coaches in both America and Europe

The poster lost a little bit of credibility with me when he started talking more about CrossFit.  I would take a power lifting coach over a CrossFit coach.  Typically CrossFit coaches do not teach form; as long as you get the rep they don’t care how you got it.  I would rather have someone who knows proper form which also protects the player.   

7 minutes ago, PigskinPat said:

Solder’s last year at Colorado was a decade ago. A lot has changed in the world of strength and conditioning since then. I’m hoping for the best, but let’s hope Pitman has evolved his approach to strength and conditioning more than Gus evolved his offensive philosophy.

Good recruiting will fix a lot, but attitude will fix a lot as well. Honestly Braden should’ve been way more than he was here. He should’ve been the equivalent to thanos

46 minutes ago, Zeek said:

"

To start, I want to preface all of this with quit a bit. I dont know Pitman personally and he may very well bring some new combination of improvement in atmosphere and accountability that I am unaware of; however, I think this is a terrible hire based on what I know about him and the current state of the SEC (and honestly the state.) I do not think he will send out-of-shape guys onto the field, but I do not think he is capable of keeping up with what will soon be a revolutionary period in D1 college athletic strength and conditioning. These are my opinions and I would love to be wrong.

A little about me. I am a former Marine, competitive runner, competitive CrossFitter, and weightlifter. I have owned and sold two businesses (gyms) that afforded me the opportunity to train individual tactical athletes, multi-sport collegiate athletes, special forces inductees, professional CrossFitters, and endurance athletes. I mentor S&C coaches/CrossFit coaches in both America and Europe; I teach US MD students, physicians, and dieticians performative nutrition. Im not bragging but just explaining that I am not speaking out of my ****...although we all have more to learn.

Now, to get started. My thoughts and opinions are based on several things, but the over arching theme is what is happening across the state and how that will permeate top football programs within the next several years. Alabama football is currently revolutionizing the S&C field. Without getting too nerdy, they are putting together programs based on individual avatars and prescribing things that will help to maximize each and every individual's potential. That is not really done anywhere else. Further, they are using data-driven and truly cutting edge methods to make gains in players the likes of which have really never been seen in college or NFL. One example of this thats easy to understand would be to tailor all strength training to an individuals neuromuscular efficiency so that they have an individual program that allows them to get strong in the way they want them to and recover faster. No more wasted reps. In the end you are looking for great measurables and numbers....but the KEY is repeatability of intensity. They are lightyears ahead in that arena.

Jeff Pitman, I know for a fact, still believes the hang clean/power clean to be a revolutionary addition to S&C programs. He's about 20 years out of date on that. He is not equipped with the knowledge or tools to do any of the above ^^^ Nor has he done it in the past. Now, I am not saying there isnt a place for PC and HC....there is. But the overall program he institutes will be a lot like Kevin Yoxall used to run. Back then, it was great. Now, its not up to par. Further, Pitman was not loved at Colorado or Boise in his most recent stops and S&C was seen as devolved from previous programs.

If Auburn is serious about competing on the field, we have to treat S&C much like we have to treat facilities. They must evolve quick and never stay stagnant. Pitman, imo, is the very definition of stagnant. We will be doing nothing revolutionary and this would've been a great time to be the second SEC program to start revolutionizing.

I will answer all questions to the best of my ability below. Again, I could be wrong, but I am disappointed here."

Do you even Rocky, bro?

6 minutes ago, Zeek said:

Most fans will forget his name in a week or so. Just need some more names soon. I didn't wait two weeks to hear John Goodman is coming to the plains lol

Agreed, it's whatever. If he isn't up to snuff Hars seems like the guy that will cut the fat.

Biggest thing will be getting solid recruits on the lines. Then we will see the real difference.

With age comes wisdom.   When you are trying to build something from the ground up wisdom is the key.    This guy has the knowledge and maturity to build it right.   he may be " better than average" at building players,  but he has the experience to know what works and more importantly, what doesn't work considering the whole system.  

We are basically building this thing from scratch.

3 minutes ago, Maverick.AU said:

Good recruiting will fix a lot, but attitude will fix a lot as well. Honestly Braden should’ve been way more than he was here. He should’ve been the equivalent to thanos

Agree. That kid was built like a Greek god.

I understand some are underwhelmed , but maybe with the resources at AU he will be able to do more than he did at BSU. 

1 minute ago, PigskinPat said:

Agree. That kid was built like a Greek god.

And that’s why I’m not the biggest fan of the “new school”, even tho I’m a fairly young guy. I want something that is gonna bring Power. In Gus’ time here we had guards that struggled to pull and couldn’t push people off the ball. Just really don’t think Russell’s approach was what we needed. But then again it may have worked with a bunch of talented recruits. I just want some interior lineman from my kid days of watching football. Guys that punch guys in the mouth. OL coach will be the big hire.

9 minutes ago, Maverick.AU said:

Biggest thing will be getting solid recruits on the lines. Then we will see the real difference.

Can’t wait for O line recruiting!

6 minutes ago, JDUBB4AU said:

I understand some are underwhelmed , but maybe with the resources at AU he will be able to do more than he did at BSU. 

I just feel like if he was a great hire he'd have left Boise a lot sooner. Seems like he's practically spent his whole career there. 

Just now, Zeek said:

I just feel like if he was a great hire he'd have left Boise a lot sooner. Seems like he's practically spent his whole career there. 

no dog in this fight but coaches seem to love it at Boise.  🤷‍♂️

1 minute ago, Zeek said:

Maybe some people just really like Boise🤷🏼‍♂️

1 minute ago, Zeek said:

That’s fair . I guess for me it’s all about how it translates on the field . BSU won a lot of games and they were much more physical than we have been used to with the previous tenure. The even bigger half to this is nutrition . AU has the fit kitchen and once a program is tailored to the athletes if the athlete buys in performance should be maximized 

1 hour ago, Zeek said:

"

To start, I want to preface all of this with quit a bit. I dont know Pitman personally and he may very well bring some new combination of improvement in atmosphere and accountability that I am unaware of; however, I think this is a terrible hire based on what I know about him and the current state of the SEC (and honestly the state.) I do not think he will send out-of-shape guys onto the field, but I do not think he is capable of keeping up with what will soon be a revolutionary period in D1 college athletic strength and conditioning. These are my opinions and I would love to be wrong.

A little about me. I am a former Marine, competitive runner, competitive CrossFitter, and weightlifter. I have owned and sold two businesses (gyms) that afforded me the opportunity to train individual tactical athletes, multi-sport collegiate athletes, special forces inductees, professional CrossFitters, and endurance athletes. I mentor S&C coaches/CrossFit coaches in both America and Europe; I teach US MD students, physicians, and dieticians performative nutrition. Im not bragging but just explaining that I am not speaking out of my ****...although we all have more to learn.

Now, to get started. My thoughts and opinions are based on several things, but the over arching theme is what is happening across the state and how that will permeate top football programs within the next several years. Alabama football is currently revolutionizing the S&C field. Without getting too nerdy, they are putting together programs based on individual avatars and prescribing things that will help to maximize each and every individual's potential. That is not really done anywhere else. Further, they are using data-driven and truly cutting edge methods to make gains in players the likes of which have really never been seen in college or NFL. One example of this thats easy to understand would be to tailor all strength training to an individuals neuromuscular efficiency so that they have an individual program that allows them to get strong in the way they want them to and recover faster. No more wasted reps. In the end you are looking for great measurables and numbers....but the KEY is repeatability of intensity. They are lightyears ahead in that arena.

Jeff Pitman, I know for a fact, still believes the hang clean/power clean to be a revolutionary addition to S&C programs. He's about 20 years out of date on that. He is not equipped with the knowledge or tools to do any of the above ^^^ Nor has he done it in the past. Now, I am not saying there isnt a place for PC and HC....there is. But the overall program he institutes will be a lot like Kevin Yoxall used to run. Back then, it was great. Now, its not up to par. Further, Pitman was not loved at Colorado or Boise in his most recent stops and S&C was seen as devolved from previous programs.

If Auburn is serious about competing on the field, we have to treat S&C much like we have to treat facilities. They must evolve quick and never stay stagnant. Pitman, imo, is the very definition of stagnant. We will be doing nothing revolutionary and this would've been a great time to be the second SEC program to start revolutionizing.

I will answer all questions to the best of my ability below. Again, I could be wrong, but I am disappointed here."

So how does this guy know so much about what bama is doing and the NFL doesn't even know yet? Well, no one else knows yet according to him. Bama is the only one that can do it. Did they get their s&c education from a super top secret school that no one else can go to? A lot of this is total bs. He sounds a lot like one of those meathead fitness commercials in my facebook feed.

10 minutes ago, Zeek said:

He didn’t leave until Harsin left.  Followed him to Arky St., back to Boise and now to AU.  Maybe he and Harsin have a good connection and Harsin trusts him to get the job done.  I like the hire because Harsin got his man.  Has a long, solid resume too.

3 minutes ago, dilligas said:

He didn’t leave until Harsin left.  Followed him to Arky St., back to Boise and now to AU.  Maybe he and Harsin have a good connection and Harsin trusts him to get the job done.  I like the hire because Harsin got his man.  Has a long, solid resume too.

The thing about harsin is this is the big leagues. He doesn’t do this if he feels it puts him at a disadvantage. If in 4-5 years he gets fired, where does he turn? I mean the dude took a big risk leaving Boise.

Archived