Jeff Pitman hired as S&C coach

Zeek

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From someone who knows Pitman:

"

To start, I want to preface all of this with quit a bit. I dont know Pitman personally and he may very well bring some new combination of improvement in atmosphere and accountability that I am unaware of; however, I think this is a terrible hire based on what I know about him and the current state of the SEC (and honestly the state.) I do not think he will send out-of-shape guys onto the field, but I do not think he is capable of keeping up with what will soon be a revolutionary period in D1 college athletic strength and conditioning. These are my opinions and I would love to be wrong.

A little about me. I am a former Marine, competitive runner, competitive CrossFitter, and weightlifter. I have owned and sold two businesses (gyms) that afforded me the opportunity to train individual tactical athletes, multi-sport collegiate athletes, special forces inductees, professional CrossFitters, and endurance athletes. I mentor S&C coaches/CrossFit coaches in both America and Europe; I teach US MD students, physicians, and dieticians performative nutrition. Im not bragging but just explaining that I am not speaking out of my ****...although we all have more to learn.

Now, to get started. My thoughts and opinions are based on several things, but the over arching theme is what is happening across the state and how that will permeate top football programs within the next several years. Alabama football is currently revolutionizing the S&C field. Without getting too nerdy, they are putting together programs based on individual avatars and prescribing things that will help to maximize each and every individual's potential. That is not really done anywhere else. Further, they are using data-driven and truly cutting edge methods to make gains in players the likes of which have really never been seen in college or NFL. One example of this thats easy to understand would be to tailor all strength training to an individuals neuromuscular efficiency so that they have an individual program that allows them to get strong in the way they want them to and recover faster. No more wasted reps. In the end you are looking for great measurables and numbers....but the KEY is repeatability of intensity. They are lightyears ahead in that arena.

Jeff Pitman, I know for a fact, still believes the hang clean/power clean to be a revolutionary addition to S&C programs. He's about 20 years out of date on that. He is not equipped with the knowledge or tools to do any of the above ^^^ Nor has he done it in the past. Now, I am not saying there isnt a place for PC and HC....there is. But the overall program he institutes will be a lot like Kevin Yoxall used to run. Back then, it was great. Now, its not up to par. Further, Pitman was not loved at Colorado or Boise in his most recent stops and S&C was seen as devolved from previous programs.

If Auburn is serious about competing on the field, we have to treat S&C much like we have to treat facilities. They must evolve quick and never stay stagnant. Pitman, imo, is the very definition of stagnant. We will be doing nothing revolutionary and this would've been a great time to be the second SEC program to start revolutionizing.

I will answer all questions to the best of my ability below. Again, I could be wrong, but I am disappointed here."

Just now, Zeek said:

"

To start, I want to preface all of this with quit a bit. I dont know Pitman personally and he may very well bring some new combination of improvement in atmosphere and accountability that I am unaware of; however, I think this is a terrible hire based on what I know about him and the current state of the SEC (and honestly the state.) I do not think he will send out-of-shape guys onto the field, but I do not think he is capable of keeping up with what will soon be a revolutionary period in D1 college athletic strength and conditioning. These are my opinions and I would love to be wrong.

A little about me. I am a former Marine, competitive runner, competitive CrossFitter, and weightlifter. I have owned and sold two businesses (gyms) that afforded me the opportunity to train individual tactical athletes, multi-sport collegiate athletes, special forces inductees, professional CrossFitters, and endurance athletes. I mentor S&C coaches/CrossFit coaches in both America and Europe; I teach US MD students, physicians, and dieticians performative nutrition. Im not bragging but just explaining that I am not speaking out of my ****...although we all have more to learn.

Now, to get started. My thoughts and opinions are based on several things, but the over arching theme is what is happening across the state and how that will permeate top football programs within the next several years. Alabama football is currently revolutionizing the S&C field. Without getting too nerdy, they are putting together programs based on individual avatars and prescribing things that will help to maximize each and every individual's potential. That is not really done anywhere else. Further, they are using data-driven and truly cutting edge methods to make gains in players the likes of which have really never been seen in college or NFL. One example of this thats easy to understand would be to tailor all strength training to an individuals neuromuscular efficiency so that they have an individual program that allows them to get strong in the way they want them to and recover faster. No more wasted reps. In the end you are looking for great measurables and numbers....but the KEY is repeatability of intensity. They are lightyears ahead in that arena.

Jeff Pitman, I know for a fact, still believes the hang clean/power clean to be a revolutionary addition to S&C programs. He's about 20 years out of date on that. He is not equipped with the knowledge or tools to do any of the above ^^^ Nor has he done it in the past. Now, I am not saying there isnt a place for PC and HC....there is. But the overall program he institutes will be a lot like Kevin Yoxall used to run. Back then, it was great. Now, its not up to par. Further, Pitman was not loved at Colorado or Boise in his most recent stops and S&C was seen as devolved from previous programs.

If Auburn is serious about competing on the field, we have to treat S&C much like we have to treat facilities. They must evolve quick and never stay stagnant. Pitman, imo, is the very definition of stagnant. We will be doing nothing revolutionary and this would've been a great time to be the second SEC program to start revolutionizing.

I will answer all questions to the best of my ability below. Again, I could be wrong, but I am disappointed here."

He sounds very old school, which is awesome. Nate solder spoke very highly of him as well. S&C coaches don’t need to be “fiery” they need the right approach and to hold players accountable to get the most out of their training.

Just now, Zeek said:

1 minute ago, Zeek said:

I dont know Pitman personally

5D7B5B13-CC30-47E6-862D-F2AC0F630B0D.jpeg

2 minutes ago, ClaytonAU said:

5D7B5B13-CC30-47E6-862D-F2AC0F630B0D.jpeg

About Pitman

Idk @Zeek I actually read part of the post and thought it was a positive account, made my post and then read the rest. Those elements have been something in S&C that have always promoted power. Something AU hasn’t had on either line without majorly gifted individuals. Idk I think AU needs to get back to the basics and push people off the ball. We tried this all sideline-sideline stuff with Russell and we saw how we were bullied up front.

4 minutes ago, Maverick.AU said:

He sounds very old school, which is awesome. Nate solder spoke very highly of him as well. S&C coaches don’t need to be “fiery” they need the right approach and to hold players accountable to get the most out of their training.

I disagree man. Doing the opposite of Alabama doesn't make a whole lot of sense when you're comparing programs. 

7 minutes ago, Zeek said:

I disagree man. Doing the opposite of Alabama doesn't make a whole lot of sense when you're comparing programs. 

Well considering gear is pretty much mandatory there, and I know this from a former player. Alabama also gets athletes that are mostly already grown men by the time they suit up for them. Explosive power is something AU has not had under the agility, sideline to sideline approach of Russell. I’m perfectly fine with a guy doing an old school approach here. Bc that new style approach hasn’t worked out for us yet.

1 minute ago, Maverick.AU said:

Well considering gear is pretty much mandatory there, and I know this from a former player. Alabama also gets athletes that are mostly already grown men by the time they suit up for them. Explosive power is something AU has not had under the agility, sideline to sideline approach of Russell. I’m perfectly fine with a guy doing an old school approach here. Bc that new style approach hasn’t workout for us yet.

I'll just leave it at this. I think it's a 6/10 hire. Just barely passable. 

However, most of our issues come from recruiting undersized projects. S&C coaches really aren't all that different. We do need to catch up with the times and facilities though. 

3 minutes ago, Zeek said:

However, most of our issues come from recruiting undersized projects. S&C coaches really aren't all that different. We do need to catch up with the times and facilities though. 

I agree on the second part Forsure. That’s  why doing things the “Alabama” way doesn’t mean a hill of beans if we don’t have the talent. Maybe it’s just Bc I want some old school nasty lineman. If you’re going to build to that level, you have to start at the bottom. Build the culture and things will evolve. Auburn needs a culture change at the moment and I’m hoping this is the start to it.

Not really a fan of mat drills, but that's about it. Love the up/downs and stadium steps. Old school is fine with me and he looks to be close to 300 lbs, so that's good too. You know who else used to hold 5:30 a.m. winter workouts? Coach Dye. Hopefully, this guy is a hard ass that can get his message across to the players. I wouldn't be surprised at a mass exodus of players that aren't committed to getting better and putting in the work, and I'm fine with that.

1 hour ago, ClaytonAU said:

Seeing as most of us knew nothing Harsin prior to his hiring, maybe we could wait to pass judgement til we’ve heard Pittman speak and understand what he’s about. 

There ya go again. Making sense.

23 minutes ago, HarsinVOL said:

Harsin then Pitman. Is this your question?

Your answer to the 1st question had a bit of a sarcasm to it so I followed up hoping you could answer the age old question of which came first....Chicken or the Egg?

9 minutes ago, Zeek said:

Couldn’t agree with this more. Take Tega and Sammons . Both projects that never should have been signed . Talent evaluation and correct development is why Gus is gone . AU has failed since 13 

1 hour ago, Maverick.AU said:

I thought the same, but if this guy can break wills with his stare, we will be fine. 😂

When Jack Arnold tells you he's gonna break something smart guys listen

And @Zeek I’m not saying that this is a 10/10 hire. Your 6/10 is more accurate. However due to fractured culture and some old school hard nosed guys, I have optimism about it

35 minutes ago, Zeek said:

"

Well someone needs to put his name on it at least. It’s like the anonymous teammate quote ESPN likes to use 

Archived