Jeff Pitman hired as S&C coach

Zeek

29 minutes ago, JDUBB4AU said:

That’s fair . I guess for me it’s all about how it translates on the field . BSU won a lot of games and they were much more physical than we have been used to with the previous tenure. The even bigger half to this is nutrition . AU has the fit kitchen and once a program is tailored to the athletes if the athlete buys in performance should be maximized 

They weren’t in the SEC, but maybe it “Just means more “ to the Boise boys!

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, The Freak said:

Why did it take nearly two weeks to hire him?  lol.

Because the former staff was still employed up until after the bowl game.

There are a few questions that this guy has me asking.

1) Is it the S&C guys responsibility to be over the nutrition molecular development or is it a different dept?

2) The story implies it is mandatory for bama athletes to go precisely by the program. Do they micromanage every part of their lives?

3) Are the supplements etc legal if this is so cutting edge? Who is monitoring this if nobody knows anything about this new system/approach.

4) Who the he** else were we supposed to hire? Obviously a young, well built guy could be just as wrong in his own process

We haven't had strength and conditioning issues with the offensive skill positions, linebackers or the secondary.  I'm ready to see our linemen try to push their assignment into the next county. We haven't seen that from our offensive line in a long time.  I think that this hire will get us back to playing hard nosed physical football at the line of scrimmage.

The new technology being employed by Little Lord Saban appears to me to benefit the skill positions.  Of course anything that he decides to use in the eyes of the media is the best thing ever.  The line of scrimmage is about being physical and playing with a mean streak.

Who cares what the guy looks like. I’m built just the same as Pitman and I was a physical specimen 20 years ago. Doesn’t mean I don’t know how to be in shape or how to still lift correctly. 

9 minutes ago, ClaytonAU said:

Because the former staff was still employed up until after the bowl game.

Oh right, I had already put that bowl game in the 2012 file.

5 minutes ago, AUnCullman said:

1) Is it the S&C guys responsibility to be over the nutrition molecular development or is it a different dept?

2) The story implies it is mandatory for bama athletes to go precisely by the program. Do they micromanage every part of their lives?

3) Are the supplements etc legal if this is so cutting edge? Who is monitoring this if nobody knows anything about this new system/approach.

4) Who the he** else were we supposed to hire? Obviously a young, well built guy could be just as wrong in his own process

1. For maximum results they absolutely should have some involvement.

2. Diet and workout wise they might. Like anything you can't force them to not eat incorrectly. The best will do what's best for them.

3. No telling. FDA allows way too many things before the effects are known. 

4. Someone from a more prominent program or at least with more variety of experiences. Ideally someone younger and more open to embracing newer and more efficient programs. You're right though. There's never a perfect hire but it seems like an even worse argument to try and say there's no one better. 

2 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

After seeing the video, that guy reeks of "old man strength" you don't wanna fight in a bar.

I absolutely think some folks are underestimating this guy, and I guarantee you wouldn’t want to scrap with this cat anywhere. You are spot on. 

1 minute ago, Zeek said:

2. Diet and workout wise they might. Like anything you can't force them to not eat incorrectly. The best will do what's best for them.

4. Someone from a more prominent program or at least with more variety of experiences. Ideally someone younger and more open to embracing newer and more efficient programs. You're right though. There's never a perfect hire but it seems like an even worse argument to try and say there's no one better. 

That has to be a huge undertaking with a lot of personel to maximize this process. But they do have a lot of money there. 

This has me intrigued. Not that it changes anything or will change at Auburn in the near future but it would be great to see it begin. 

2 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

After seeing the video, that guy reeks of "old man strength" you don't wanna fight in a bar.

Yep.

For our first strength and conditioning lesson, we are gonna do the Cage drag.

747EEBEE-187E-46A7-A83D-C88D01D2FE32.gif

4 hours ago, Tigerpro2a said:

Anybody have any info or knowledge of this guy? I know he was on Hars' staff at Boise.

He partial to bench press!

24 minutes ago, Zeek said:

Dude just say you wanted Aaron Feld, which is perfectly okay because I did too. I’ll reserve judgement on this hire until I see if the new product passes the look test.

I couldn’t care less what the dude looks like as long as he gets our guys jacked, tanned and juicy bro!

54 minutes ago, AUnCullman said:

#3. Definitely.

48 minutes ago, Zeek said:

Ideally someone younger and more open to embracing newer and more efficient programs

Old doesn’t mean obsolete(says the old guy).

4 hours ago, Zeek said:

I'm sorry guys...

You know I'm not usually a negative guy. 

Don't blast me on this but here's what I would have preferred our hire for this position to:

1. Be in shape 

2. Be younger

3. Not be a Boise lifer

4. Have power 5 experience 

I support Harsin and his decisions 

I also don't agree with this hire

Both can be true

Hoping it's one of the last Boise carry overs we get. We're one of the biggest brands of football in the country and by extension the world.

We can get coaches with better resumes.

Agreed. On all points. I'd be glad to be proven wrong, but I'm loving this hire as much as I loved the Russell hire when it happened. As a S&C guy myself, this just isn't the guy I'd look to hire. Harsin clearly knows him better than I do though, so for now, I'll trust his judgement.

2 hours ago, boisnumber1 said:

So how does this guy know so much about what bama is doing and the NFL doesn't even know yet? Well, no one else knows yet according to him. Bama is the only one that can do it. Did they get their s&c education from a super top secret school that no one else can go to? A lot of this is total bs. He sounds a lot like one of those meathead fitness commercials in my facebook feed.

Here’s a sneak peak inside The university of Alabama’s state-of-the-art strength and conditioning program.

1 minute ago, HarsinVOL said:

As an S&C guy myself, this isn't about making the best S/C hire, it's about comradery. And that is the state of collegiate S/C today.

Since there exists no verifiable way to determine on-field performance with S/C program results, HC are clear to hire anyone they want.

They absolutely are. And in my post, I state that I'll trust his judgement. This just isn't what I hoped to see. I don't hate it, it just isn't what I was hoping for. 

1 hour ago, Zeek said:

Pittman is a good one. He gets results and that's all that matters to a head coach. 

Welcome to the Plains,  Jeff Pittman!!  We are so glad to have you on board, and look forward to supporting you for years to come.  War Damn Eagle!!!

Question for anyone thats been around the team. Will the players reference him as Coach Pittman or will it be Mr. Pittman?  Like how did they refer to Russel?  

56 minutes ago, autigeremt said:

Pittman is a good one. He gets results and that's all that matters to a head coach. 

Results?  What do you base this on...I know nothing about the guy other than the quick reads here.  

12 minutes ago, TXaubie said:

Welcome to the Plains,  Jeff Pittman!!  We are so glad to have you on board, and look forward to supporting you for years to come.  War Damn Eagle!!!

Question for anyone thats been around the team. Will the players reference him as Coach Pittman or will it be Mr. Pittman?  Like how did they refer to Russel?  

He’s the strength and conditioning coach, so I would assume Coach Pitman.

4 minutes ago, japantiger said:

Results?  What do you base this on...I know nothing about the guy other than the quick reads here.  

I agree. Are we basing this off pushing around Mountain West teams. If so they didnt do much against BYU or San Jose State this year. I guess he just going with the person he feels comfortable with. I will just remain optimistic because Boise hasnt been the dragon slayer since Peterson left. 

Archived