2022 5* QB Gunner Stockton (1/28 UGA)

ellitor

24 minutes ago, keesler said:

I'm talking big time 4-5* recruits man.  Those guys don't know what to expect out of the new coaches at all.  And those studs want to know who their working with, how competitive the team will be, how much development and how productive the product will translate to the field as well as how the coaches will prepare them for the NFL.  Those 5*s will be looking for stability and a sure thing to prep them for the pro's.

I that vein, Auburn has a whole new and unproven operation.  That type recruit wants a guaranteed track record before they sign and right now Auburn has to prove we belong in the same landscape as UGA/LSU/UAT/UF/aTm/Clemson so that we can go head to head and win those 5* battles.

Go look at other schools that had coaching changes.  They pulled players.

We should be able to as well.  Kirby had 2 5* kids in his first month or two.  I'm not saying we'll see that, but saying we're absolutely nothing and we aren't going to s*** until after the 2022 season....boy that's some low expectations.

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Boys and girls, this kid was going to end up at uga before is was done. 

Do you say that because of his relationship with the staff or does this go back to some McDonald's bags?

Kirby is willing to do anything in recruiting.  Trooper Taylor said he was the toughest guy to go against period.   There is no limit to how far he will go.   Not sure CBH is ready to go there yet.  

3 hours ago, aucanucktiger said:

Bayou Tejar. Opposed Fred many times in court but he was a solid guy and had great cookouts. Made his money in business dealings, not law so much. The Emmitt memory's a little off, he didnt commit and had everybody guessing-walked in on signing day wearing Auburn stuff and took it off revealing Gators. He regrets dissing us for UF, still holds grudge for racist threats from UF fans when he left after 3. Went so far as to say if he'd gone to Auburn he and we would have won a natl title. Didn't even mention UF in his HOF induction. 

Bayou Tejar ...yup.  

I do not remember the reveal shenanigans, but was a student at Auburn and Al Gore had not invented today's internet yet.  I really thought he committed to Auburn.  I even went home his sr year and watched Escambia High play someone just to watch him.  I remember I think my last yr, Auburn playing him on Oct 31 and Auburn winning again.  Everyone dressed up and all.  Pretty sure Emmitt never got a 100 yds vs Auburn.  

At this point, I dont see how Uga is not paying kids. Kirby ain't Saban, and his program is not elite at developing qbs. Htf do they keep getting multiple 5 star qbs on the roster every year. Wtf is he telling these guys?

14 minutes ago, twilli13 said:

At this point, I dont see how Uga is not paying kids. Kirby ain't Saban, and his program is not elite at developing qbs. Htf do they keep getting multiple 5 star qbs on the roster every year. Wtf is he telling these guys?

They all pay players. Including Auburn. Auburn fans need to stop crying about this. We sound like Bams when we do this. Not singling you out because I’ve seen it over and over on here. Even if they weren’t, Georgia has such a handle on Auburn right now it’s not even funny. If you go to Georgia you get a real shot at winning the division and competing for the playoff. At Auburn, you’ll win 8 games. This is all from Gus but CBH has only been HC for a little over 30 days. Hopefully he can prove that Auburn is a better program than Georgia. 

It would’ve been nice if he committed to us, but guess what? He won’t sign until December. Long, long way to go. Jumping to these conclusions so early might not be the answer imo. 

46 minutes ago, woodford said:

They all pay players. Including Auburn. Auburn fans need to stop crying about this. We sound like Bams when we do this. Not singling you out because I’ve seen it over and over on here. Even if they weren’t, Georgia has such a handle on Auburn right now it’s not even funny. If you go to Georgia you get a real shot at winning the division and competing for the playoff. At Auburn, you’ll win 8 games. This is all from Gus but CBH has only been HC for a little over 30 days. Hopefully he can prove that Auburn is a better program than Georgia. 

It would’ve been nice if he committed to us, but guess what? He won’t sign until December. Long, long way to go. Jumping to these conclusions so early might not be the answer imo. 

Dude, I'm not crying about anything. I rarely make claims or statements like this, but at point, seriously how does he keep getting these elite 5 star qbs. Not over us, that makes total sense. Just in general. His system is not really known for developing qbs. I get the alure to play for a good program, but if these kids are watching  Kirbys track record, 1 or 2 of these qbs will be gone within a year or so. And dont give me the 'everybody does it' thing. Not singling you out either, but that's a tired take man. If we are paying players, we need our damn $ back because we are getting annihilated on blue chip prospects and have been for some time. 

5 minutes ago, twilli13 said:

Dude, I'm not crying about anything. I rarely make claims or statements like this, but at point, seriously how does he keep getting these elite 5 star qbs. Not over us, that makes total sense. Just in general. His system is not really known for developing qbs. I get the alure to play for a good program, but if these kids are watching  Kirbys track record, 1 or 2 of these qbs will be gone within a year or so. And dont give me the 'everybody does it' thing. Not singling you out either, but that's a tired take man. If we are paying players, we need our damn $ back because we are getting annihilated on blue chip prospects and have been for some time. 

Georgia is a much more attractive program than Auburn right now. Even with his track record, you’re going to surrounded by future NFL talent at some point. Georgia has energy. Auburn does not. Kirby is someone kids in HS want to play for. You have a higher ceiling so you expect a higher level of optimism about the future. 

All it takes is one. JT Daniels will be a first rounder. It will work wonders going forward. 

3 minutes ago, twilli13 said:

You are correct, from what I've heard, that bowl cut is playing a different, irresponsible game. Even our players openly accused them of buying George Pickens on twitter. That points to a pretty blatant disregard for normal decorum in the recruiting game. Yes, everybody does it, but kirby is doing it differently, just like he did at bama. And yes, I'm parroting what I've heard other people say, but they are people I trust and believe. 

That said, both things are true. Harsin's got to start making the most of what we've got. Gus couldn't. Two bad problems feeding off each other. 

9 minutes ago, woodford said:

It will work wonders going forward

Not sure about that. Yes at the level they are recruiting they are probably going to hit on some but most kids have to be developed. If they aren’t developing their quarterbacks that will still be seen on the field no matter how well they are recruiting.

13 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Not sure about that. Yes at the level they are recruiting they are probably going to hit on some but most kids have to be developed. If they aren’t developing their quarterbacks that will still be seen on the field no matter how well they are recruiting.

They turned Eason, Fromm and Fields into a 4th rounder, a 5th rounder and a transfer. If that continues, the kids will eventually get hipped to it like recruits eventually got hipped to Gus's incompetence. 

16 hours ago, W.E.D said:

Go look at other schools that had coaching changes.  They pulled players.

We should be able to as well.  Kirby had 2 5* kids in his first month or two.  I'm not saying we'll see that, but saying we're absolutely nothing and we aren't going to s*** until after the 2022 season....boy that's some low expectations.

I agree with you that Auburn should be able to pull players, but I don't think this new staff will be able to pull 5*'s right now like Kirby did at uga.  I hate to say it, but Auburn has a perception problem right now. It's going to take some time to boost that perception and prove Auburn is a program primed and able to develop NFL ready players and consistently contend for championships. 

I think this crew has to prove themselves, build relationships in the region, and get the program going in a positive direction before 5*'s will be willing to come here.  IMO, we won't see instant gratification like Kirby/uga or Saban/uat had the luxury of getting right off the bat.  

You can blame my low expectations on years and years of seeing mediocrity unfold before my eyes with the last regime.  

16 hours ago, casatiger said:

Kirby is willing to do anything in recruiting.  Trooper Taylor said he was the toughest guy to go against period.   There is no limit to how far he will go.   Not sure CBH is ready to go there yet.  

We need to be

1 hour ago, keesler said:

I agree with you that Auburn should be able to pull players, but I don't think this new staff will be able to pull 5*'s right now like Kirby did at uga.  I hate to say it, but Auburn has a perception problem right now. It's going to take some time to boost that perception and prove Auburn is a program primed and able to develop NFL ready players and consistently contend for championships. 

I think this crew has to prove themselves, build relationships in the region, and get the program going in a positive direction before 5*'s will be willing to come here.  IMO, we won't see instant gratification like Kirby/uga or Saban/uat had the luxury of getting right off the bat.  

You can blame my low expectations on years and years of seeing mediocrity unfold before my eyes with the last regime.  

Right, the point is coaching changes usually change the perception.  If Gus was still our coach I'd agree with you.  We now have a coach that has some track record of not being god awful on offense.

There should be excitement around his hire vs bad perception left over from Gus.  We aren't going from awful to amazing immediately, but it's very odd we aren't getting at least a basic normal coaching change bump.

Maybe b/c some of the other coaches were before the early signing day so they had 1-2 months left in a cycle to sign kids vs being a year out from NSD.  Maybe it's covid b/c kids can get to campus.  Not really sure.  I think Harsin is setting us up for long term success and the organization he's brining is something we haven't had, but the lack of any immediate impact is a bit frustration.

W.E.D. I understand the frustration and I feel it a little. Then I look at the bright side and it feels pretty damn good to know there's a fresh start with a new regime and a world of potential and improvement to be had at Auburn.

4 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

I think Harsin is setting us up for long term success and the organization he's brining is something we haven't had, but the lack of any immediate impact is a bit frustration.

I think this is where a lot of us are. Our heads know that it's a good setup, but our hearts want some immediate gratification. 

It's like we got seeds for Christmas. Great. We'll have tomatoes in June. But what are we supposed to do until then?!?!

3 hours ago, woodford said:

our bag men need to quit asking our recruits if they can break a twenty.........this why we are so behind. lol

9 minutes ago, keesler said:

W.E.D. I understand the frustration and I feel it a little. Then I look at the bright side and it feels pretty damn good to know there's a fresh start with a new regime and a world of potential and improvement to be had at Auburn.

6 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I think this is where a lot of us are. Our heads know that it's a good setup, but our hearts want some immediate gratification. 

It's like we got seeds for Christmas. Great. We'll have tomatoes in June. But what are we supposed to do until then?!?!

Yeah, I think there's nothing wrong with being frustrated/disappointed in the first month seeing nothing to show for it....but still being confident in the long term plan.  

Ignoring HS recruits....we aren't even doing anything on the transfer side which is a bit mind blowing.  That's a spot where it shouldn't even matter

8 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Ignoring HS recruits....we aren't even doing anything on the transfer side which is a bit mind blowing.  That's a spot where it shouldn't even matter

Seems we're waiting for the post-spring portal replenishment. Might just be a matter of not liking what we're seeing. Seems maybe we actually passed on the Wilson kid, as well as the RB from UT.

1 minute ago, McLoofus said:

Seems we're waiting for the post-spring portal replenishment. Might just be a matter of not liking what we're seeing. Seems maybe we actually passed on the Wilson kid, as well as the RB from UT.

Seems like the transfer portal is moving to December just like NSD day did.  Might just be some scraps left in the spring.  I know the coaches would prefer to have their hands on kids before brining in others...but it's not like we're tight on numbers and some spots are pretty glairing.

7 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Seems like the transfer portal is moving to December just like NSD day did.  Might just be some scraps left in the spring.  I know the coaches would prefer to have their hands on kids before brining in others...but it's not like we're tight on numbers and some spots are pretty glairing.

I'm running out of shades of lipstick to put on this pig...

3 hours ago, McLoofus said:

They turned Eason, Fromm and Fields into a 4th rounder, a 5th rounder and a transfer. If that continues, the kids will eventually get hipped to it like recruits eventually got hipped to Gus's incompetence. 

I get that logic, but Georgia under Kirby actually win big games and does well against rivals. They hardly ever not show up on the road and what not. Technically Eason got hurt and left, but I get it. If I were a 5*, it’s a no brainer UGA over Auburn not to mention the uncertainty of CBH. 

Archived