JLee thinks AU leads

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, toddc said:

https://247sports.com/Player/Zep-Jasper-75405/

College of Charleston 

Transfer Portal with one year to play.

Lol, two posters on 24/7 opinions: Both live in Charlotte and have seen him play. One says he would be a good pickup and the other says "meh"....Good FT%, good defender and ball handler statements by both. Shooter= not so much. One says "yea" the other guy "nay". Ellitor, Rigsby,if one of you get time today, pull up video and see what you think. I watched parts of a couple of Charlotte games last year, but I don't remember him

42 minutes ago, chizhead said:

Lol, two posters on 24/7 opinions: Both live in Charlotte and have seen him play. One says he would be a good pickup and the other says "meh"....Good FT%, good defender and ball handler statements by both. Shooter= not so much. One says "yea" the other guy "nay". Ellitor, Rigsby,if one of you get time today, pull up video and see what you think. I watched parts of a couple of Charlotte games last year, but I don't remember him

I trust CBP on his evaluation and not fans.

Just spent like 7 mins looking for and watching highlights of the guy 

Plays like a really undersized shooting guard. for some reason my mind goes to Lou Will, of Clippers fame, but that's like the absolute best version of his style of play right? 

there's alot of carry over between what it appears he likes to do and what Trey Alexander does. I think he's a good 3 point shooter, his percentage seems to have dipped with the more responsibility he's been given as a ball handler. FG% isn't great at all, but this guy seems to take a ton of low percentage shots (middys in the middle of the key, pull up 3s, etc) and doesn't appear to get a ton of opportunity to shoot off the ball. 

He has a 2-1 ast, TO ratio but (and this is based on highlights) doesn't look like a pass first player whatsoever. BP does love his undersized combo guards though, and has a solid enough repertoire with them, so who knows? I (I!) would like like a pass first guard with having none if Cooper were to leave, but I'd also never claim to know more about roster mngt than our coach

I don't want to ramble forever, but to add some context to his fairly low assists relative to how often it looks like he handles the ball and his role as the lead scorer, they have 5 guards who got at least 9.7 mins and 3 with 9.4+ ppg on a healthy amount of games played. 3 of the former 5 have a pretty good ast:to ratio, and 2 of those latter 3 get up about 8+ shots a game 

point being the offense flows through their guards ALOT. Does the defense read these numbers and key in on their guards? Do the rest of their guys just miss wide open shots? I think if I watched a game or two, I could get a feel for their offensive style and what this guy can bring and will have to improve on, but just based on what little research I've done, I'd probably expect that Bruce doesn't get this guy with the idea he's a Sharife replacement

• ellitor changed the title to ***2021 Grad Transfer PG Zep Jasper (Commit Watch: March 31)***

Auburn makes move for CoC grad-transfer PG Zep Jasper

Jeffrey Lee • AuburnSports

Senior Editor

@JLeeAURivals

Zep Jasper is a high priority for Auburn and the Tigers are making sure he knows it.

Jasper, a grad transfer point guard from College of Charleston, spoke with Auburn on Friday.

And not just with one coach.

“I talked with the whole coaching staff,” Jasper said. “They wanted me to know that they wanted me and that I had an offer to Auburn.”

It was welcomed news for Jasper, who announced Thursday his intentions to transfer from CoC.

“It felt great because I love Auburn,” Jasper said. “I love their style of play. I love their staff. I’ve been looking at Auburn since Malik Dunbar was there. I’m from Augusta. Malik is from Augusta. Dylan Cardwell also is from Augusta. I always tune in to their games.”

Jasper is a fan of coach Bruce Pearl, always has been. Pearl is a big reason Jasper is heavily considering Auburn.

“Bruce Pearl is just an excellent coach,” Jasper said. “He’s very outgoing. He gets his players going and he has a great coaching staff: Coach (Steven) Pearl, Coach (Wes) Flanigan and Coach (Ira) Bowman. I’ve talked to Steven, too, and like him. He is a great dude, a very cool dude.

“I like the whole staff. Auburn has a great staff, a great program. I really think it’s a good fit for me.”

Jasper has been contacted by several other schools, but is focusing right now on five: Auburn, Georgia, Florida, South Carolina and Seton Hall. He plans to announce his decision March 31.

Jasper, who has two years of eligibility, led CoC in scoring this season, averaging 15.6 points per game.

More on Jasper from CoCSports.com:

CAREER HONORS

• 2021 All-CAA Second Team

• 2021 CAA All-Defensive Team

• CAA Player of the Week (Feb. 8, 2021)

• Team Captain

JUNIOR (2020-21)

Played and started in all 19 games of the season … Team’s leading scorer averaging 15.6 points per game which ranked eighth best amongst Colonial Athletic Association scoring leaders … Poured in double figures in 16 contests including four 20+ point outings ... Collected CAA Player of the Week honors for the first time of his career (2/8/21) … Led the Cougars to a 2-0 weekend and series sweep of Towson pouring in 21 points and four boards in a 90-88 double-overtime thriller versus the Tigers (2/6/21) … Also equaled his career high with seven rebounds against Towson (2/7/21) … Has reached double figures in scoring 15 times during the season … Ended the season on a career-best eight-game double-digit scoring streak … Knocked down a career-high 38 points on 13-of-18 shooting from the field, 4-of-7 shooting from beyond the arc and 8-for-9 from the charity stripe against Columbus State (2/20/21) … Tied former CofC greats Ken Gustafson andDontaye Draper for the fifth-most points scored in a single game in school history and tied as the third-most in the program’s NCAA Division I Era ... Registered a game-high 27 points in the CAA Quarterfinals versus Drexel (3/7/21).

22 hours ago, chizhead said:

Ellitor, Rigsby,if one of you get time today, pull up video and see what you think

Sorry, couldn't help myself. 

10 hours ago, ellitor said:

Thanks @toddc but that was from high school.

I know but it’s still good to see.

Really no way to tell about his defense, but he's a really slight guy. This conference has some really big guards, and we see how that physical mismatch has worked against us for the last three guys before Japser (potentially). 

Conversely, I probably wouldn't worry about him being a potentially bad defender with the other 4 guys that'll be in the lineup w him, if he were to start

7 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Really no way to tell about his defense, but he's a really slight guy. This conference has some really big guards, and we see how that physical mismatch has worked against us for the last three guys before Japser (potentially). 

Conversely, I probably wouldn't worry about him being a potentially bad defender with the other 4 guys that'll be in the lineup w him, if he were to start

@Dual-Threat Rigby Supposedly a real good defender & apparently part of the reason we are on him.

8 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

You can look for certain things and come to a conclusion about defense. If you ever want I'll be more than happy to discuss

9 hours ago, cole256 said:

You can look for certain things and come to a conclusion about defense. If you ever want I'll be more than happy to discuss

@cole256what’s your eval on Jasper?  How well do you think he’ll fit with our guys next year as the starting PG?

12 hours ago, cole256 said:

I would like to hear a couple of those tips! When I was writing about smaller guys, I felt like the impression I gave off was smaller automatically equals bad, and I didnt mean for it to. That was just a correlation I see so often 

I still will say, I pray that they go find another facilitating PG, even if that scholly would be better served elsewhere from a positional stand point. Nothing from what I've seen about this guy makes me think that it's his ideal role (I COULD BE WRONG!), Jamal isn't a known quantity as a full time facilitator, and Powell is obv gone 

I just wouldn't want to risk a repeat of 2019-20 or the Sharife-less minutes 

5 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I still will say, I pray that they go find another facilitating PG, even if that scholly would be better served elsewhere from a positional stand point. Nothing from what I've seen about this guy makes me think that it's his ideal role (I COULD BE WRONG!), Jamal isn't a known quantity as a full time facilitator, and Powell is obv gone 

I just wouldn't want to risk a repeat of 2019-20 or the Sharife-less minutes 

College basketball does not have a lot of big assist guys. Guys like Coop are rare. Most of the time the starting PG's have low assist numbers. Jared Harper as great as he was only overaged a little under 6 assists a game (5.8) his junior season which was a career high for him. In all of the NCAA D-1 right now there is only 13 other guys besides Coop to average 6 or more assists a game. And only 1 of those besides Coop is at the power 5 level. Wheeler from thuga. PG in college ball is most of the time a scoring role. I would LOVE to add a sniper at the PG position again. It opens the whole offense up.

https://www.ncaa.com/stats/basketball-men/d1/current/individual/140

He must have really loved Auburn and Bruce since he had plans to wait until the 31st. Glad to have a guard with some college experience. Will be a valuable player whether Coop stays or leaves.

• toddc changed the title to ***2021 Grad Transfer PG Zep Jasper (Committed)*
1 hour ago, tgrogan21 said:

He must have really loved Auburn and Bruce since he had plans to wait until the 31st. Glad to have a guard with some college experience. Will be a valuable player whether Coop stays or leaves.

Or it was a jump on board or the spot may be gone scenario...

Archived