Atlanta Shootings...

DKW 86

10 minutes ago, homersapien said:

That makes no sense.

Any post made on this forum is subject to a response by anyone, which is what makes it a public forum.  

And the point of my post, which you apparently missed - is you were perpetuating a racial stereotype, unwittingly or not. 

Actually that billboard was perpetuating the stereotype. I don’t recall any legit massage parlors having any half naked ladies advertising on their billboards. 

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, wdefromtx said:

Actually that billboard was perpetuating the stereotype. I don’t recall any legit massage parlors having any half naked ladies advertising on their billboards. 

Granted. But your post didn't reflect that. 

Rather, it implied - again, unwittingly or not - a stereotype that could applied to any massage parlor run by Asian-Americans, specifically, the victims in Atlanta. 

It was analogous to using the word "thugs" when referring to young black males in general.

5 minutes ago, homersapien said:

Granted. But your post didn't reflect that. 

Rather, it implied - again, unwittingly or not - a stereotype that could applied to any massage parlor run by Asian-Americans, specifically, the victims in Atlanta. 

It was analogous to using the word "thugs" when referring to young black males in general.

No not really analogous to using the word thugs. It was a direct response to AU9377 about what he said and was in fact a real life experience and what we saw. Would it have made you feel better if I changed the name of the city it was outside of? Or should I have not mentioned it was an Asian lady on it? Because like it or not, that’s exactly what it was. 

8 hours ago, homersapien said:

:no:

Did it ever occur to you that Asian-Americans tend to be concentrated in our major cities?

As for "Democratic strongholds", I am sure there are more than enough MAGAs to account for the incidents of violence perpetuated against Asian-Americans in these cities.

Racist! 😂

Just another example of the elite left working overtime to fracture and divide as much as they possibly can. It’s their turn. 

Examples of spas:

Natural Body Spa

Massage Envy

Spa Sydell

None of them advertise "Home of the most beautiful Asian girls in Atlanta" out front.  They don't stay open 24 hours and none of their "girls" live in the back. None have flashing neon lighting every corner of the building they occupy.

Regardless of their profession, the women should have been afforded the respect any human being should be afforded and murdering people like this should be an unthinkable act.

Pretending that these establishments are there to provide massages is nothing more than a fairy tale.   Below are examples of what goes on behind closed doors.  It is literally in every corner of the country/.

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/crime/a-crazy-amount-of-money-seattle-police-raid-prostitution-network-in-massage-parlors/

https://www.fox6now.com/news/prosecutors-women-charged-40-60-for-inappropriate-massages-at-west-allis-business

https://www.jacksonville.com/news/20190308/prostitution-in-plain-sight-its-so-obvious-to-spas-neighbors

https://www.theadvertiser.com/story/news/local/2020/04/16/woman-arrested-massage-parlor-sting-extraditedto-lafayette/5143586002/

1 hour ago, AU9377 said:

Examples of spas:

Natural Body Spa

Massage Envy

Spa Sydell

None of them advertise "Home of the most beautiful Asian girls in Atlanta" out front.  They don't stay open 24 hours and none of their "girls" live in the back. None have flashing neon lighting every corner of the building they occupy.

Regardless of their profession, the women should have been afforded the respect any human being should be afforded and murdering people like this should be an unthinkable act.

Pretending that these establishments are there to provide massages is nothing more than a fairy tale.   Below are examples of what goes on behind closed doors.  It is literally in every corner of the country/.

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/crime/a-crazy-amount-of-money-seattle-police-raid-prostitution-network-in-massage-parlors/

https://www.fox6now.com/news/prosecutors-women-charged-40-60-for-inappropriate-massages-at-west-allis-business

https://www.jacksonville.com/news/20190308/prostitution-in-plain-sight-its-so-obvious-to-spas-neighbors

https://www.theadvertiser.com/story/news/local/2020/04/16/woman-arrested-massage-parlor-sting-extraditedto-lafayette/5143586002/

Careful, you might get accused of perpetuating a racial stereotype. 

These types of spas are rampant all around Houston. Like you said these women should still be afforded the basic human dignity that we all should regardless of what they are doing to earn a living. Also, keep in mind a lot of these women are being trafficked. They are promised a new life in the US only to end up in establishments such as these to pay off their “debts” for getting to the US. Many are scared and don’t know who to ask for help so they think it’s the only choice they have. 

6 hours ago, wdefromtx said:

These types of spas are rampant all around Houston. Like you said these women should still be afforded the basic human dignity that we all should regardless of what they are doing to earn a living. Also, keep in mind a lot of these women are being trafficked. They are promised a new life in the US only to end up in establishments such as these to pay off their “debts” for getting to the US. Many are scared and don’t know who to ask for help so they think it’s the only choice they have. 

There was one operating out of a house in my in-laws neighborhood a couple years ago that was busted.

https://patch.com/texas/humble-kingwood/illegal-massage-parlor-leads-atascocita-womans-arrest-police

It was lest than 300 yards from a middle school.

51 minutes ago, bigbird said:

There was one operating out of a house in my in-laws neighborhood a couple years ago that was busted.

https://patch.com/texas/humble-kingwood/illegal-massage-parlor-leads-atascocita-womans-arrest-police

It was lest than 300 yards from a middle school.

Yep, these operations are all over the area. These were out close to us. 

https://abc13.com/spa-prostitution-bust/1022447/

https://www.katymagazineonline.com/post/two-arrested-at-katy-massage-parlor

7 hours ago, wdefromtx said:

Great point! The media could use this as a way to raise awareness for and prevent human trafficking.

In the surrounding cities, there are more Asian Restaurants, owned by Asian Families, than McDonalds. 
They are distributed pretty much all over the US. 

I think we need to just let the Investigation play out. 
Something is telling me that there may be a more personal issue here than we see at this level.

20 hours ago, wdefromtx said:

Your post - unwittingly or not - perpetuated the stereotype.  I am certainly receptive to the proposition you weren't aware of how it came across in context. 

1 hour ago, homersapien said:

Your post - unwittingly or not - perpetuated the stereotype.  I am certainly receptive to the proposition you weren't aware of how it came across in context. 

Again, I can’t help if the reality of what was on that billboard perpetuated the stereotype. Would you have wanted me to just say “A lady on this billboard in some town....?” I’m not going to change it and  I’m not going to apologize for “unwittingly” perpetuating a stereotype as you call it, because I’m just conveying what was seen. 

23 hours ago, homersapien said:

And yes, I believe most -if not all -  of the increase in racially-based attacks are perpetuated by MAGAs, for the obvious reason.

Of course you do and we all know that. It could hail storm on your Fourth of July picnic and you would blame Trump and his supporters.  I know you understand that this thing is not limited to MAGA areas.

https://time.com/5947862/anti-asian-attacks-rising-worldwide/

U.K. police data suggests a rise of 300% in hate crimes toward Chinese, East and South East Asians in the first quarter of 2020 compared to the same period in 2018 and 2019. 

1 hour ago, SaltyTiger said:

Of course you do and we all know that. It could hail storm on your Fourth of July picnic and you would blame Trump and his supporters.  I know you understand that this thing is not limited to MAGA areas.

U.K. police data suggests a rise of 300% in hate crimes toward Chinese, East and South East Asians in the first quarter of 2020 compared to the same period in 2018 and 2019. 

Must be those worldwide MAGAs !! 

Stop! It’s only an American problem! 😳😜🤪

Truthfully I can believe such news since humans are so easy to figure. 

Well, I guess it isn’t all MAGAs in the LA, SF and bigger cities in this country that act racist against the Asian-American community.

“Last year at my school, I heard some kids joking about the KKK and sending kids back to Mexico,” Collins said.

In the Twitter thread, she said the kids making the jokes were Asian.

Collins goes on to mention white supremacy and racism and alleges some in the AAPI community often benefit from so called "model minority" perceptions to the detriment of other groups. 

"Talk to many Lowell parents and you will hear praise of tiger moms and disparagement of black and brown 'culture'," Collins' tweet read. 

Cyn Wang's daughter is a student at SFUSD. Wang is one of the first to flag the tweets by Collins.

“I thought that message really negated the Asian American experience, especially in light of the wave of violence that we are facing,” Wang said.

Since Collins’ tweets resurfaced Friday, an array of leaders including State Assemblyman David Chiu and San Francisco Mayor London Breed are calling for Collins' resignation.

NBC Bay Area has reached out to Collins multiple times over the last couple of days and she has refused any invitations for any kind of on camera response.

Instead, Collins' posted an essay on Medium.com explaining her position, writing in part: "I acknowledge that right now, in this moment my words taken out of context can be causing more pain for those who are already suffering. For the pain my words have caused, I am sorry and I apologize unreservedly." 

The response to the apology has not been good. “Commissioner Colins' apology doesn't go far enough, frankly. It seeks to divide us further,” said Selina Sun, President of the Mayor Edwin Lee Democratic Club. 

Wang told NBC Bay Area Saturday that Collins should still resign. "I don't trust her to lead our school system and I believe she is making policy with an Anti Asian lens. Her statement is not sufficient,” she said.

https://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/local/calls-increase-for-sf-school-board-member-to-resign-over-controversial-tweets/2498687/

On 3/21/2021 at 1:05 PM, wdefromtx said:

Again, I can’t help if the reality of what was on that billboard perpetuated the stereotype. Would you have wanted me to just say “A lady on this billboard in some town....?” I’m not going to change it and  I’m not going to apologize for “unwittingly” perpetuating a stereotype as you call it, because I’m just conveying what was seen. 

The message I inferred from your post is that you were implying that most - if not all - of Asian-American women that work in message parlors are actually prostitutes. 

Based on the literal content of your post, presented in the context of a political forum - my inference or presumption of your point was reasonable. 

You say you were simply "conveying" what you saw, but to what purpose?  What was your point?  Your post leaves that completely open to speculation, even if only by what you didn't say.

The term "unwittingly" simply recognizes that may not have been your intent (but nothing it your post suggested it wasn't.)

This is not about the content of the bill-board, we have all seen similar billboards.  It's about why you felt a need to "convey" it's contents given the context of the thread topic. 

If you weren't so contentious and self-defensive, you could have simply clarified that you weren't making that point. Instead, here you are refusing to apologize for what is essentially a totally ambiguous post.

42 minutes ago, homersapien said:

The message I inferred from your post is that you were implying that most - if not all - of Asian-American women that work in message parlors are actually prostitutes. 

Based on the literal content of your post, presented in the context of a political forum - my inference or presumption of your point was reasonable. 

You say you were simply "conveying" what you saw, but to what purpose?  What was your point?  Your post leaves that completely open to speculation, even if only by what you didn't say.

The term "unwittingly" simply recognizes that may not have been your intent (but nothing it your post suggested it wasn't.)

This is not about the content of the bill-board, we have all seen similar billboards.  It's about why you felt a need to "convey" it's contents given the context of the thread topic. 

If you weren't so contentious and self-defensive, you could have simply clarified that you weren't making that point. Instead, here you are refusing to apologize for what is essentially a totally ambiguous post.

I already said why I made the response....it was a direct response to something AU9377 said regarding that many Asian spas are in fact fronts that run prostitution rings out of them. Which, there is no denying that. So I responded about the billboard we saw many years ago. I think I even said it was a direct response a couple of times. It was not a random stand alone post. Had AU9377 not pointed out this fact and I say fact because it’s not a mere stereotype that many Asian spas aren’t legitimate, I would not have even brought up the billboard. Make sense now? Do I think all or most Asian spas running prostitution rings? No, and that was never implied by the billboard post. You seem to be the only one taking the post to such extremes. In fact, I said and another post what is really going on with many of these spas....which is human trafficking. 

2 hours ago, homersapien said:

Well you inferred wrong. WDE was simply commenting on a post 9377 made. Have no clue what you are trying to say after your first sentence but it is impressive. 

Now We got a new shooting. 

Old but relevent:

https://www.theonion.com/no-way-to-prevent-this-says-only-nation-where-this-r-1819580358

LAS VEGAS—In the hours following a violent rampage in Las Vegas in which a lone attacker killed more than 50 individuals and seriously injured 400 others, citizens living in the only country where this kind of mass killing routinely occurs reportedly concluded Monday that there was no way to prevent the massacre from taking place. “This was a terrible tragedy, but sometimes these things just happen and there’s nothing anyone can do to stop them,” said Iowa resident Kyle Rimmels, echoing sentiments expressed by tens of millions of individuals who reside in a nation where over half of the world’s deadliest mass shootings have occurred in the past 50 years and whose citizens are 20 times more likely to die of gun violence than those of other developed nations. “It’s a shame, but what can we do? There really wasn’t anything that was going to keep these individuals from snapping and killing a lot of people if that’s what they really wanted.” At press time, residents of the only economically advanced nation in the world where roughly two mass shootings have occurred every month for the past eight years were referring to themselves and their situation as “helpless.”

On 3/21/2021 at 2:23 PM, SaltyTiger said:

Far right nationalism is certainly not limited to the U.S.  It's not surprising that far right nationalist xenophobes act the same world wide.

So thanks for confirming my position with more evidence of the xenophobic nature of white nationalists.

And you'll spend your fourth lamenting the political defeat of a man who wanted to destroy our democracy and become an authoritarian dictator.  How ironic is that?  So **** you!

14 hours ago, SaltyTiger said:

Well you inferred wrong. WDE was simply commenting on a post 9377 made. Have no clue what you are trying to say after your first sentence but it is impressive. 

Really?  I thought it was very clear and concise - as was the rest of my post.  It certainly wasn't meant to "impress" :-\  

And I don't know if I could make it any plainer for someone who has "no clue" of what it meant.  It said what it meant. 

I think the problem here is with you.

1 hour ago, homersapien said:

It's "too soon to discuss this". 

It's time now for our "thoughts and prayers". :glare:

I browse Conservative Reddit every now and then and on the thread for the Colorado shooting someone genuinely asked for Conservative thought/perspective on how mass shootings should be handled since so many Conservatives feel that any kind of gun laws/regulation is a nonstarter for them. 

It was mostly ignored, but there was one poster who tried to give a thought out answer. Of course he feels that mass shootings receive too much media coverage and are used as  propaganda to turn people against guns because someone could easily pick up a hammer and kill people that way...(?).. but his primary solution to mass shootings were to massively increase funding to police departments to help them stop these events before they occur and to immediately execute offenders by firing squad once found guilty. (because the death penalty has been proven to stop murders, right? )

Someone else chimed in saying that America is normalizing mental illnesses and the breakup of family units are to blame. They say that back in the day close family could see when someone was having a bad time mentally and family members would know to keep the guns away from them, but now a days family isnt close enough to notice things like that anymore. 

Long story short, Conservatives predictably have no real ideas or thoughts beyond "mass shootings" just being apart of what makes America America, and just like the Onion article, there's nothing we can really do about it other than to make sure every American citizen is armed at all times to participate in the inevitable public shoot outs. 

Archived