Atlanta Shootings...

DKW 86

8 minutes ago, CoffeeTiger said:

make sure every American citizen is armed at all times to participate in the inevitable public shoot outs. 

But bring up masks and it's "JUST STAY HOME IF YOU'RE SCARED OF A VIRUS!!!".

They've actually become the caricature that I used to jokingly make them out to be. 

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, homersapien said:

Really?  I thought it was very clear and concise - as was the rest of my post.  It certainly wasn't meant to "impress" :-\  

And I don't know if I could make it any plainer for someone who has "no clue" of what it meant.  It said what it meant. 

I think the problem here is with you.

Actually the problem was with your faulty inference. 😂

On 3/19/2021 at 10:51 AM, McLoofus said:

Agreed. So much of the Right's agenda is implicated by this event.

Personally, I'm a little uncomfortable with how part of the conversation is going. I see a lot of people who want this to be specifically about race, in some weird service of their personal agendas. I'm not saying that it's not, but the eagerness to label it as such from some- definitely not Asians or Pacific Islanders, as they are the ones who absolutely should be talking about it- is very off-putting and misguided. 

Regardless of his motivation, though, this has sparked a louder conversation that needs to be had. Whether or not this crime qualifies, anti-Asian violence is a very real and growing problem- again, thank the flaming orange a**hole and his cult of idiots- and it needs to be addressed. Quite honestly, I'm thankful to see Asian Americans speaking up in a way I haven't seen before. In trying to make tragedy mean something, that's the utility I see in this situation. 

And it's certainly easy to believe that even if this stupid, hateful, redneck POS wasn't targeting Asians specifically, he in some way found them to be less human and therefore less deserving of a continued life. Ditto for them being women, and sex workers. (As for the non-Asians, men, and non-sex workers he shot, there are any number of reasons- requiring very little imagination to conjure- that he might have shot people in open businesses/public spaces who were not on his original list of targets.) 

As a country, we are inarguably reaping what the outgoing administration and its many tentacles- several of which creep around this forum- sowed with their incessant, hateful, racist rhetoric, which of course embraced COVID as an opportunity to amplify itself many times over.

No, this Nation is reaping what it has sown since the first Anglo set foot on this continent, and it will get worse before it gets better.

Just now, 1716AU said:

No, this Nation is reaping what it has sown since the first Anglo set foot on this continent, and it will get worse before it gets better.

Yes, there has been a sharp spike in anti-Asian violence *in the last year* because of white people landing North America half a millennium ago, and not because of POTUS telling his knuckle dragging supporters with their various racist proclivities *for the last year* that the worst health crisis of our lifetimes- the same one that cost many of them their jobs or worse- was all because of Chinese people. 

14 minutes ago, homersapien said:

Like I said, there was nothing there to suggest otherwise. 

Except there was and others picked up on it. 🧐

13 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Yes, there has been a sharp spike in anti-Asian violence *in the last year* because of white people landing North America half a millennium ago, and not because of POTUS telling his knuckle dragging supporters with their various racist proclivities *for the last year* that the worst health crisis of our lifetimes- the same one that cost many of them their jobs or worse- was all because of Chinese people. 

I've been trying to find stats on who is committing the crimes. I'm not ready to throw it all at the feet of one group.  Plenty of other racists out there.

2 minutes ago, The Freak said:

I've been trying to find stats on who is committing the crimes. I'm not ready to throw it all at the feet of one group.  Plenty of other racists out there.

Oh, I'm sure there is some minority on minority violence at play. But I won't be waiting for all of the numbers to draw the conclusion that the racist rhetoric of a president supported by a wide range of racist and militant groups and millions more given to overtly racist speech and behavior that support him wasn't the primary cause of this recent, large spike

Now, are there all kinds of issues of racism towards Asians that existed before Trump and that have nothing to do with him or his? Absolutely. But there is no doubt that he made things much worse than they were. Mind you, we are talking about a sitting POTUS who was openly racist towards a particular group in a time when tens of millions of Americans were scared and angry and looking for someone to blame. 

7 hours ago, homersapien said:

Really?  I thought it was very clear and concise - as was the rest of my post.  It certainly wasn't meant to "impress" :-\  

And I don't know if I could make it any plainer for someone who has "no clue" of what it meant.  It said what it meant. 

I think the problem here is with you.

No, not me that is the problem. Settle down and re-read the thread.

16 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

No, not me that is the problem. Settle down and re-read the thread.

He’s not going to reread it. If he hasn’t by now after me explaining what my post was in reference to by now you can forget about it. 

7 hours ago, homersapien said:

Far right nationalism is certainly not limited to the U.S.  It's not surprising that far right nationalist xenophobes act the same world wide.

So thanks for confirming my position with more evidence of the xenophobic nature of white nationalists.

And you'll spend your fourth lamenting the political defeat of a man who wanted to destroy our democracy and become an authoritarian dictator.  How ironic is that?  So **** you!

Classy!! Classic liberal response right there man! 😂😂

1 hour ago, wdefromtx said:

Classy!! Classic liberal response right there man! 😂😂

I think homey may think YOU are a xenophobe.....lmao

5 hours ago, McLoofus said:

This country has a very long and sad history regarding treatment of Asians.

I don't think many - much less most - Americans have any idea of that history.  Whether or not that's important is the question of the day.

On 3/19/2021 at 9:09 AM, CoffeeTiger said:

Either way, the conversation isn't going to go in a way that the Right will like or be comfortable with. 

If the conversation was factual, not speculative, perhaps the right would be comfortable. But that doesn't fit the liberal media agenda now does it?

The worst treatment of Asians has historically been on th West Coast. During the Gold Rush and Rail Booms likely no group was treated any worse by the law. Many were treated as bad, but few saw it worse. Native Americans and Asians were worked to death and treated as slaves.

10 hours ago, homersapien said:

This country has a very long and sad history regarding treatment of Asians.

I don't think many - much less most - Americans have any idea of that history.  Whether or not that's important is the question of the day.

The history of any particular type of racism goes as far back as whenever the first time the two or more different races involved were around each other. I'm well aware of how the Chinese immigrants that came to build the railroads and how Japanese Americans were treated during World War II and everything in between. The less overt racism, the stereotypes, all of it. I've seen my sister, born Korean, called a chink. The ease with which violence against Asians escalated over this last year is informed by that. But I personally don't ascribe the spike itself to pre-existing conditions, other than them making Asian Americans an easy target for a sissy bitch bully and a bunch of unintelligent insecure crybabies looking to displace their victimhood.

12 hours ago, homersapien said:

Whether or not that's important is the question of the day.

No question for you I suppose? Trumps rhetoric and publications like Vox?

https://www.vox.com/videos/2020/3/6/21168006/coronavirus-covid19-china-pandemic

Why new diseases keep appearing in China

11 hours ago, DKW 86 said:

The worst treatment of Asians has historically been on th West Coast. During the Gold Rush and Rail Booms likely no group was treated any worse by the law. Many were treated as bad, but few saw it worse. Native Americans and Asians were worked to death and treated as slaves.

Which may be why we are treated so poorly in their home countries. I've never witnessed more discrimination than I did in Southeast Asia. 

29 minutes ago, autigeremt said:

Which may be why we are treated so poorly in their home countries. I've never witnessed more discrimination than I did in Southeast Asia. 

Were you a tourist?

I nominate Vox, post Klein, etc as a new source to be avoided MOST OF THE TIME.

They are not all bad, but some of their articles lately sound more like propaganda, sans facts.

19 minutes ago, homersapien said:

Were you a tourist?

Thailand is the most hospitable country I've visited, very much living up to their reputation. But I was a tourist. I've never done business internationally.

I find that most places are friendly as long as you're not the typical, obnoxious American. In Paris, for example, I realized that it's not Parisians who are rude but the tourists. Parisians are actually quite polite and only become offended when you aren't, also. They are a bit precious about their language, though. We had drinks with a guy from the suburbs and he said that they acted like they couldn't understand him, and he was 100% French. We kind of gave up on trying to speak French after that and after numerous awkward interactions. They seemed to prefer that we  just speak English. 

Man, I want to travel again.

14 hours ago, AUFAN78 said:

If the conversation was factual, not speculative, perhaps the right would be comfortable. But that doesn't fit the liberal media agenda now does it?

The same Right that eagerly embraced Sidney Powell's fairy tales? 

Archived