U.S. Catholic Bishops: Biden Shouldn't Be Allowed to Take Communion Because of Abortion Views.

CoffeeTiger

22 minutes ago, aubearcat said:

Has absolutely ZERO to do with the issue/subject at hand. 

Yes. It is a Church matter, not one in which the Bill of Rights is relevant. I think the USCCB is playing a dangerous game, but not any sort of constitutional violation.

The government can't exactly force the USCCB to say Biden should be allowed to partake in the Eucharist. Then we have an actual violation. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, aubearcat said:

Has absolutely ZERO to do with the issue/subject at hand. 

Granted.

But then, the issue/subject at hand belongs more in a theological forum instead of a political one, especially if we are going to ignore the topicality of the issue (SCOTUS/Mississippi).

On 5/8/2021 at 4:58 AM, DKW 86 said:

The Sin was in not doing as instructed for his brother, that was my take on it as well.

Not so much for his brother but for his kin in general. After all God literally hit the smite button on Er for his wickedness lol.

Levirate marriage was the law of the land at the time. It kept property within and ensured the survival of the clan.

In addition, as smite happy as God came off, he has always been sensitive to the plight of widows. Onan took advantage of Tamar for pleasure in addition to shirking his familial duty.

But, as usual, some religionists had to and have to misstate the reality and claim something crazy to get it to bend to their literally perverted view of the scriptures. Onan was supposed to take his brother's wife and raise sons for his dead brother. That was the OT instructions. He spilled his seed rather than give his brother's wife the children. He was punished by death. 

Only if you really twist the scriptures do you get that masturbation was unnatural. I have seen horses, dogs, cattle, etc all engage in it. The idea that what is physically natural is sinful is kind of crazy.

Just because something is natural or often occurs in nature doesn't mean it can't be sinful.

Being better than your base desires is part of being a functional human being. 

Edited by AUDub

56 minutes ago, homersapien said:

Granted.

But then, the issue/subject at hand belongs more in a theological forum instead of a political one, especially if we are going to ignore the topicality of the issue (SCOTUS/Mississippi).

The more relevant questions are "what is the motive?" and "why now?"

The best weapon we could ever provide the skeptics is hypocrisy. 

5 hours ago, homersapien said:

Granted.

A thread could be started concerning the Court’s decision to hear the Mississippi case. However, I don’t think that any of us are going to change our views or opinions on the situation. Maybe a subject forum for religious views should be started but I think the original post was placed here because it was concerning the President but I don’t have any way of knowing that for sure. 

10 hours ago, AUDub said:

Yes. It is a Church matter, not one in which the Bill of Rights is relevant. I think the USCCB is playing a dangerous game, but not any sort of constitutional violation.

The government can't exactly force the USCCB to say Biden should be allowed to partake in the Eucharist. Then we have an actual violation. 

As an aside, it seems as if the Bishops and Pope have dipped their proverbial toes in the political pool a little more often lately. They criticized the previous administration on several occasions for the it’s immigration policies as well as it’s stance on the refugees. Francis was pretty vocal about climate policies and I believe he also had a critical commentary about the photo op the former president did with the Bible.