BO and TJ

aubiefifty

15 hours ago, W.E.D said:

How do you improve on something if you're never coached that way?

He has been. He hasn't been the most receptive to the coaching. It'll be interesting to see if the added competition resets that aspect.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Anybody that coaches what is literally the first thing you start telling a child at QB. Actually the second the first is two hands on the ball and you don't actually let them throw

But as soon as they start throwing what is literally the first thing you start working on? 

Also is there any way on earth a guy can play the QB position from pee wee to college and he not be coached on this fundamental? Anybody with any experience please answer

• Like 1

Just now, cole256 said:

Anybody that coaches what is literally the first thing you start telling a child at QB. Actually the second the first is two hands on the ball and you don't actually let them throw

But as soon as they start throwing what is literally the first thing you start working on? 

Also is there any way on earth a guy can play the QB position from pee wee to college and he not be coached on this fundamental? Anybody with any experience please answer

At this point in his life (& after countless football/passing camps), it would seem to be like breathing to a QB. 

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, W.E.D said:

Highlight are easy. If we got a most consistent version of this we'd all be happy 

But hE oNlY tHrOwS OFf HiS bAcK fOoT 

Likewise if we got all the good without the picks from Tj we'd be happy too

At the one minute mark you literally see him make a throw off his back foot with literally no pressure leaving it up for grabs for Seth and whoever is covering him......and this is a freaking highlight clip.

You clearly haven't played the position or haven't played to defend the position but have the nerve to want to argue something you're not educated on in the least. That's so dumb. 

Throwing with the right form consistently is nothing to do with presence it's everything to do with habit. Throwing correctly at all times is harder to do. Of course you'd want to take the easy way.....It's easier. It's about discipline. Clearly Bo hasn't had alot of strong discipline.

And me as a corner I can play the game in a completely different way and make it much harder on the wr's when I know I'm facing a QB who is severely limited throwing down field and I know he has a tendency of playing high school football. You know why they call that play high school? Because in high school you're mostly going to find coaches playing their best athletes at qb so the form and discipline isn't there. The guys that's good enough to actually be a QB in college......you don't expect them to actually do that because usually they've been playing QB since they've been playing. 

So when we had that wr talk and I brought Bo up I'm sorry but that's the game of football. As a corner I can now make the game much harder for Auburn wr's as opposed to bammers because I don't have to worry about half of the freaking field.

50 minutes ago, bigbird said:

He has been. He hasn't been the most receptive to the coaching. It'll be interesting to see if the added competition resets that aspect.

We've tried to say this and it goes on deaf hears. I highly doubt he hasn't been taught basic fundamentals starting from JV football, such as not to throw off your back foot. As you say, we will see if the third college football qb coach can do it.

Edited by DAG

9 hours ago, W.E.D said:

Highlight are easy. If we got a most consistent version of this we'd all be happy 

But hE oNlY tHrOwS OFf HiS bAcK fOoT 

Likewise if we got all the good without the picks from Tj we'd be happy too

Ironically, several of these throws in his "highlights" are off his back foot.

10 minutes ago, DAG said:

We've tried tom say this and it goes on deaf hears. I highly doubt he hasn't been taught basic fundamentals starting from JV football, such as not to throw off your back foot. As you say, we will see if the third college football qb coach can do it.

I imagine Bo even started playing before jv.....But I don't know for sure but if I had to get my life on it I'm saying he probably started pee wee. And I bet he was always groomed to play QB

5 minutes ago, cole256 said:

I imagine Bo even started playing before jv.....But I don't know for sure but if I had to get my life on it I'm saying he probably started pee wee. And I bet he was always groomed to play QB

I am betting he did too. My generous assumption is he should've at least started conceptualizing this by his adolescent time.

1 hour ago, auburnphan said:

Simply not true. He had offers from Navy, Air Force, Ball State, Southern Miss, Ohio, Tulane, Troy and South Alabama and more before he committed to Virginia Tech in June of 16.   
He transferred to Roswell and had a huge senior season.  Rhett offered him on the 29 of December and he committed the 30th and enrolled two weeks later.   

For context, Gus signed one QB a year and always carried four scholarship qbs up to this point.  Stidham committed in December, White, Queen and Barrett were all on roster.  All underclassman.  

Let’s not make Gus out to be some visionary here, it is not the case.  However, one thing I think Gus did do well is he was able to sign guys because he would let them play the position they wanted and not necessarily what was best for their future or for the team. It was how he won numerous recruiting battles or flipped players.

Ah I see I have misspoken on his offers.  Thank you for the correction.  I was correct in the fact that Auburn was the only D1 to offer as a QB.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

Ah I see I have misspoken on his offers.  Thank you for the correction.  I was correct in the fact that Auburn was the only D1 to offer as a QB.

You got to utilize the talent as well when they get here. Too many failed QBs under his belt, whom he did not get from a Juco or transfer.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

Also more importantly, he has a coach that will not accept what he does. 

Bo has good fundamentals when he's throwing from a clean pocket. Highlights show it above. He hasn't learned how to play correctly when the pocket collapses or adjust to the rush 

2 minutes ago, DAG said:

You got to utilize the talent as well when they get here. Too many failed QBs under his belt, whom he did not get from a Juco or transfer.

That is fair.  The only reason why I mentioned that in the first place was I was thinking this morning if Gus never offered him as QB the country may have never heard Malik’s name again.  He would be a DB at Virginia Tech most likely.  I don’t know where he would have gotten another chance. 

42 minutes ago, cole256 said:

You clearly haven't played the position or haven't played to defend the position

Where do you play in college? 

Just now, abw0004 said:

That is fair.  The only reason why I mentioned that in the first place was I was thinking this morning if Gus never offered him as QB the country may have never heard Malik’s name again.  He would be a DB at Virginia Tech most likely.  I don’t know where he would have gotten another chance. 

Yeah that is not the way that works. So you are indirectly saying that Gus offering him at QB open the door for him at Liberty? I hope not. He might as well had been a DB with how little he was utilized here. Maybe he would've went to V.Tech and became a stud DB. Maybe he would've went to one of the smaller schools and showed out like Liberty. But that is a huge reach.

43 minutes ago, cole256 said:

At the one minute mark you literally see him make a throw off his back foot with literally no pressure leaving it up for grabs for Seth and whoever is covering him

Lmao he had a defender 4 feet from him and actually made a good pass to an open receiver. 

As I've said numerous times, he plays well when he isn't pressured. He need to adjust to that

36 minutes ago, DAG said:

We've tried to say this and it goes on deaf hears. I highly doubt he hasn't been taught basic fundamentals starting from JV football, such as not to throw off your back foot. As you say, we will see if the third college football qb coach can do it.

Watch him throw with a clean pocket. He has fundamentals taught to him and delivers a good ball

HI biggest issue is when faced with pressure, adjusting to it correctly, having pocket awareness. That something that can still be learned. Facing HS teams defense is different than college. 

If he doesn't adjust he'll not play. He looked better, actually stepped up in a pocket, didn't immediately spin to the sidelines in a game that doesn't matter and we can't talk about 

37 minutes ago, DAG said:

Ironically, several of these throws in his "highlights" are off his back foot.

I think the clip was literally every completion he made during the season. Yes some were, but a lot were fundamentally sound passes from a good base.  

He has it in him and can do it. He actually has a real coach who will hold him accountable. Will he be able to do it in a game? We'll see

• Like 1

Just now, W.E.D said:

Watch him throw with a clean pocket. He has fundamentals taught to him and delivers a good ball

HI biggest issue is when faced with pressure, adjusting to it correctly, having pocket awareness. That something that can still be learned. Facing HS teams defense is different than college. 

If he doesn't adjust he'll not play. He looked better, actually stepped up in a pocket, didn't immediately spin to the sidelines in a game that doesn't matter and we can't talk about 

That is the bare minimum of any D1 QB. The argument can be made the same for T.J. Finley. When the pocket collapses he makes bone headed throws that need to stop.  So how again does Bo have some sort of advantage in your eyes if this is where he is at?

• Like 1

Just now, DAG said:

That is the bare minimum of any D1 QB. The argument can be made the same for T.J. Finley. When the pocket collapses he makes bone headed throws that need to stop.  So how again does Bo have some sort of advantage in your eyes if this is where he is at?

Right, so they are both about the same, one has a lot more experience and been with the staff for 6 months. 

I've praise d TJ constantly. Bo needs to learn how to play under pressure. That's something you can learn after JV

1 minute ago, W.E.D said:

Right, so they are both about the same, one has a lot more experience and been with the staff for 6 months. 

I've praise d TJ constantly. Bo needs to learn how to play under pressure. That's something you can learn after JV

So if they are about the same, why have you been pretty much arguing Bo Nix is the starter and T.J. is coming in for depth purposes only?

Just now, DAG said:

So if they are about the same, why have you been pretty much arguing Bo Nix is the starter and T.J. is coming in for depth purposes only?

Especially when, if that were true, that means Finley has caught up to Bo in a short time. That means he's accelerating and Bo is stagnant. Also, all experience isn't good. Finley has one less year of bad coaching and bad habits to unlearn.

If they're starting off on anywhere close to equal footing, then I don't see the wisdom in declaring a winner this early. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, DAG said:

Yeah that is not the way that works. So you are indirectly saying that Gus offering him at QB open the door for him at Liberty? I hope not. He might as well had been a DB with how little he was utilized here. Maybe he would've went to V.Tech and became a stud DB. Maybe he would've went to one of the smaller schools and showed out like Liberty. But that is a huge reach.

What I am saying is if Gus didn’t offer him as QB Malik would be a DB at one of the other schools that offered.  Without his (limited) tape here Freeze probably wouldn’t offer.  He might be a standout as DB, but I was referring to him being known as a QB only.  Without our QB offer he might have just conceded that all of his offers are as DB.  Just a morning thought at 4:00 AM.  😅

1 minute ago, DAG said:

I meant the same in facing pressure, they are both working through issues.  We'll see who is the same QB understanding the playbook and limiting mistakes.  TJ didn't play well under pressure and threw picks more than twice as often per pass than Finley.

I'm not sure Harsin and Bobo's exact stance on throwing picks, but I assume they don't like that.  Spring games don't count, but TH continued to make bad decisions after a spring practice and Bo did things that hasn't done before.

Maybe all of that gets thrown out the window and in fall camp Bo regresses and TJ excels under different coaching. 

I believe we both agree TJ is an elite talented QB and he makes Auburn better.  I think we both agree the best player is going to play, we just disagree who it is.  I don't think Bo's progression as a QB is over, most seem to think it is and he's done.

• Like 2

Just now, abw0004 said:

What I am saying is if Gus didn’t offer him as QB Malik would be a DB at one of the other schools that offered.  Without his (limited) tape here Freeze probably wouldn’t offer.  He might be a standout as DB, but I was referring to him being known as a QB only.  Without our QB offer he might have just conceded that all of his offers are as DB.  Just a morning thought at 4:00 AM.  😅

Nah. Definitely not how that works. Lol You are indirectly trying to give credit to Gus when MW and Hugh Freeze put in the work to get him to a point at Liberty where he is a first rounder. Do you give credit to Blinn College for getting Cam to Auburn?

Just now, DAG said:

Do you give credit to Blinn College for getting Cam to Auburn?

I give yellawood credit for stepping up, matching state, and delivering us a Natty.  Gus was just along for the ride with a QB that out talented everyone.

**** Cam was amazing

• Like 1