Good analysis

bigbird

7 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

It's all 100% Gus.  Being able to run constant tempo covered up so many flaws in Gus's abilities as a coach.  Once that was taken away from him, he was toast.

It wasn't just tempo, although that was an enormous part of it. Gus' best offenses always worked kinda like a football version of three card monte. A handful of plays out of endless different formations, always set up and called so the defense guessed wrong no matter what. The secret sauce that made it all work was both tempo AND a core run concept that worked basically every time that he could use to start the cards moving. 2010 had the Cam/Dyer inverted veer monster and 2013/2014 had the Marshall/Mason/CAP read option/buck sweep combo. When that stuff worked, it REALLY worked. When it didn't though, Gus struggled to scheme a "regular" offense. He didn't know how NOT to be the mad scientist. 

• Like 7

The whole 5 wide thing with Tank or whoever the RB was out wide on 3rd and short or any play over and over blew my mind.  Didn’t even try to run the ball until it was well out of hand .  Probably practiced that all fall for just that game and when it didn’t work there was no effort to change.  I’d rather have seen old school Gus, run it up the middle than that UGA game plan. 

• Like 2

Funny as it sounds, watching that video made me more optimistic for this season (outside of Jackson at LT - UGH).  The scheme and preparation can be fixed by better coaching.  We can put players in better situations and give the offense a better chance to succeed.  Of course not having a LT just fall down in crucial situations would be a big help too.  

• Like 3

4 hours ago, DAG said:

I said there was a problem with QB play , offensive line and scheme. You are saying the offensive line is SOLELY the blame for QB play . 

I think a big problem is the OL did not know what to do.  This is preparation which is also coaching.  There was bad play too, but a ton of just missed assignments.  

4 minutes ago, Howard Roark said:

Funny as it sounds, watching that video made me more optimistic for this season (outside of Jackson at LT - UGH).  The scheme and preparation can be fixed by better coaching.  We can put players in better situations and give the offense a better chance to succeed.  Of course not having a LT just fall down in crucial situations would be a big help too.  

Hey, don't blame Gus. Alec Jackson is a defensive lineman so that one's all on Kevin Steele. #depth 

• Haha 3

20 minutes ago, Howard Roark said:

I think a big problem is the OL did not know what to do.  This is preparation which is also coaching.  There was bad play too, but a ton of just missed assignments.  

Yes it’s disgusting. I am really excited to see how these guys will perform with real coaching .

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Howard Roark said:

Absolutely.  And when you ask the question "why are there a ton of missed assignments" it all comes back to who is in charge of getting these players ready to play?    I thought the analyst was being kind when he said he couldn't tell what was going on with:  (take your pick)  the OL, lack of hot routes, WRs, QB either throwing it away on purpose or making a bad throw.  Yikes.  That game was played on Oct 3rd.  After only 1 month into the season, it was painfully obvious to admit that AU football in 2020 was relegated to 3rd/4th tier status in the SEC.  

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Tiger Refuge said:

The thing that keeps getting me is that a lot of these were plays they checked into.

maybe that was what confused the O-line?  3rd and short. call a play and run it. 

9 minutes ago, EastAl_Tiger said:

maybe that was what confused the O-line?  3rd and short. call a play and run it. 

I didn’t watch the whole video so maybe you’re referencing another play, but the play that stood out to me was when they didn’t even block the 4 down linemen. Let the DE run free. Just bad. 

12 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

I watched it a second time and god almighty its worst then pop warner football

Some people here couldn't make it all the way through a first viewing. You're a brave man, Golf. A brave man...

4 hours ago, Barnacle said:

With an extra rusher coming on 3rd down, this is just absurd. 

2058929636_Screenshot_20210607-1849092.thumb.png.975207f4a9efc6b6dbbbbe70476d1d60.png

What's even worse, is they tipped their blitz.  The NB was already crashing and had abandoned #3. 

The receiver should've been communicating it and the QB should've seen it. All he needed to do is stand up and he gets 7+...if Nix got it there.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, DAG said:

He will be playing in the CFL or that fan league if he doesn’t get it together with all that athleticism 

Deal. Send him our way, we'll train him how to play football and send him back to the NFL like Theismann, Moon etc etc.😉

Edited by aucanucktiger

12 hours ago, JuscAUse! said:

I never understood it. The scout team QB could have completed a pass over the middle on a passing down. Nobody ever defended it. 

That's false.  Gus would never let the scout team QB or any back up QB throw a pass

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

That's false.  Gus would never let the scout team QB or any back up QB throw a pass

Now that is true

• Like 1