NIL affect on recruiting and transfers?

aujohnson

How do you expect NIL deals now being possible to affect recruiting and transfers? 
It seems like it may have the ability to more evenly spread talent between teams,  as a first year contributor will almost certainly have more NIL opportunities than someone who has to spend a year or two earning playing time. 

34 minutes ago, aujohnson said:

How do you expect NIL deals now being possible to affect recruiting and transfers? 
It seems like it may have the ability to more evenly spread talent between teams,  as a first year contributor will almost certainly have more NIL opportunities than someone who has to spend a year or two earning playing time. 

The NIL has turned college athletics into a bidding war. The teams with the richest boosters will get the best recruits. If say, Troy has a super-stud that was previously under-recruited, Auburn can easily triple his NIL value, so he'd be a fool not to transfer.

The rich will get richer. A player's NIL value at Alabama will be much more then it had been being at Mississippi State, so he'll transfer if if Tuskalosers want him.

The times have changed. I'm happy that the players get a chance to make a lot of money. (some will make a lot, others little to none).

Anybody who doesn't believe this NIL ruling will hurt competitiveness in college athletics hasn't thought it through.

Edited by Mikey
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mikey said:

The NIL has turned college athletics into a bidding war. The teams with the richest boosters will get the best recruits. If say, Troy has a super-stud that was previously under-recruited, Auburn can easily triple his NIL value, so he'd be a fool not to transfer.

The rich will get richer. A player's NIL value at Alabama will be much more then it had been being at Mississippi State, so he'll transfer if if Tuskalosers want him.

The times have changed. I'm happy that the players get a chance to make a lot of money. (some will make a lot, others little to none).

Anybody who doesn't believe this NIL ruling will hurt competitiveness in college athletics hasn't thought it through.

I agree partly. I do think some recruits will go to teams with bigger brand power but I also see recruits going to schools in bigger cities such as USC/UCLA, Miami, maybe Washington since they will be in bigger markets. I mean imagine being the face of USC in LA. I know USC isn't what it used to be but in that market you could basically name your price. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, bootskii said:

I agree partly. I do think some recruits will go to teams with bigger brand power but I also see recruits going to schools in bigger cities such as USC/UCLA, Miami, maybe Washington since they will be in bigger markets. I mean imagine being the face of USC in LA. I know USC isn't what it used to be but in that market you could basically name your price. 

You and Mikey are both right...it's not either/or.  

Mikey is exactly right. College football is about who can pay the most now. No more loving the team because the players chose your school. The best players are going to go to the schools where they have the potential to make the most money. It's basically pro football now.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, russnagel1 said:

Mikey is exactly right. College football is about who can pay the most now. No more loving the team because the players chose your school. The best players are going to go to the schools where they have the potential to make the most money. It's basically pro football now.

IMO college football has not been about the players loving the team (most of the time) for a long time now. If they stayed long enough they may have loved “the team”, but not when committing.

One positive out of this, I think, is these kids will learn about marketing themselves in a controlled environment (think on the job training), as opposed to getting their first taste of it in the NFL with the vultures surrounding, being on your own to make these decisions.  In college, you are able to step into it with the support of your school administration.  Could, in a way, help keep these kids from bankrupting themselves once they leave. Just a thought. 

• Like 1