Chizik 2010 vs Harsin 2022 recruiting

Mikey

10 minutes ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

Just a tub, why not a pool?

No offense but this is about where I've been all day. Our previous coach sapped so much of my enjoyment of college football

• Love 1

16 minutes ago, selias said:

One last bit of schadenfreude and then I call it a night...

Mikey.jpg

Some of that is true. We do have an experienced O-line, just check the roster. I did expect this class. Check back if you care to, you'll see a post from some days ago where I said we'd finish in the middle third of the SEC. That's exactly where we are.

The other two statements you'll have to take up with whoever made them.

The other two statements are from somebody else.

On 8/24/2021 at 12:20 AM, Mikey said:

If this fiasco with the Covid hasn't cost us some games, I'll eat my Auburn Alumni Association card. There may be forfeits. There is certainly disarray in the program. Coaches and players are missing practices while our competitors are out there getting better. Look around the conference and AU is a laughing stock, the lowest vaccination rate of all 14 teams.

We've been saying wins are important this season. A forfeit here, a disorganized mess there with starters held out and the number of wins won't be what we need to get over the hump. Right now, this "new" AU program doesn't look like the place where people would want to send their sons.

so-close-keegan-michael-key.gif

Can we get video of your meal?

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

9 hours ago, bigbird said:

so-close-keegan-michael-key.gif

Can we get video of your meal?

Did the missed practices help us lose games? One could argue that it did.  In spite of the nicely orchestrated signing day push, we are still right where I said we'd be. In the middle third of the SEC.

Since we are going back, check Memphis's stats this season. The guy you said was going to "tear it up" at Memphis, Asa Martin is their 5th leading rusher. This after three seasons there. He was running 5th string at Auburn and Miami and apparently that's where he is at Memphis. So your prognostications ain't so hot.

• Facepalm 1

34 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Did the missed practices help us lose games? One could argue that it did.  In spite of the nicely orchestrated signing day push, we are still right where I said we'd be. In the middle third of the SEC.

Actually, you'd only be the one that would try to.

34 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Since we are going back, check Memphis's stats this season. The guy you said was going to "tear it up" at Memphis, Asa Martin is their 5th leading rusher. This after three seasons there. He was running 5th string at Auburn and Miami and apparently that's where he is at Memphis. So your prognostications ain't so hot.

Yeah, I was wrong on that one from 4 cycles ago, you got me.

However, trying to equate me missing on the #9 running back of the 2018 class not performing well at a lower level is the same as the transparent BS hand wringing that you posted is typical and pathetic.

The facts are Covid didn't cost us a damned thing. Everyone in this place knows it. Hell, you know it too. You're just too much of a coward to admit you were wrong.

Just now, bigbird said:

The facts are Covid didn't cost us a damned thing. Everyone in this place knows it. Hell, you know it too. You're just too much of a coward to admit you were wrong.

At the very least, the virus cost us a lot of bad publicity. I suspect you are trying to bait me into swapping personal insults with you, so that I can be put on the same path as was Coarch. My temper isn't as bad as his was.

29 minutes ago, Mikey said:

At the very least, the virus cost us a lot of bad publicity. I suspect you are trying to bait me into swapping personal insults with you, so that I can be put on the same path as was Coarch. My temper isn't as bad as his was.

1st off I had nothing to do with Coarch losing his temper at multiple members and threatening them. Your insinuation is as meritless as your football IQ. Feckless.

At the very least it cost us bad publicity? Really? That's what you say after this gem falls flat on it face 

On 8/24/2021 at 12:20 AM, Mikey said:

If this fiasco with the Covid hasn't cost us some games, I'll eat my Auburn Alumni Association card. There may be forfeits. There is certainly disarray in the program. Coaches and players are missing practices while our competitors are out there getting better. Look around the conference and AU is a laughing stock, the lowest vaccination rate of all 14 teams.

We've been saying wins are important this season. A forfeit here, a disorganized mess there with starters held out and the number of wins won't be what we need to get over the hump. Right now, this "new" AU program doesn't look like the place where people would want to send their sons.

If I had your opinions, I'd move the goalposts as much as you do too. It must be exhausting trying to weasel out of all your bad post.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, DAG said:

Hahaha I see we are moving the goalpost now lol. Walking Ls for two or three people around here. I love it 

Not even trying to hide it either. 

• Like 1

As one who was a loud critic of Harsin back in spring for his Covid non-stance who remains critical of it, I don't believe that it cost us anything important in terms of wins and losses this season. It certainly didn't lose any specific game for us. 

Another opportunity to just acknowledge a misstep and gain back a modicum of respect in this community pissed away. You hate to see it. 

• Like 2

On 7/3/2021 at 7:51 PM, McLoofus said:

Doesn't really matter where this class is ranked. What matters is what we think about this class 3-4 (or 11) years from now. We get 10 serious contributors out of this class and it's easily better than that 2010 class was.

I know this is from a long time ago but I want to say I agree with you 100%… Except if you bring in a generational player like cam Newton, it changes everything. 
We put that player on an average team and won a national championship. I think that if you put cam Newton on this year’s team, we would be in the playoff. 
But overall for the program, I agree 100%

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, gr82b4au said:

I know this is from a long time ago but I want to say I agree with you 100%… Except if you bring in a generational player like cam Newton, it changes everything. 
We put that player on an average team and won a national championship. I think that if you put cam Newton on this year’s team, we would be in the playoff. 
But overall for the program, I agree 100%

That's fair. I mean... it's entirely possible that I'll never enjoy sports again as much as I enjoyed 2010. Even when you factor in the misery of the next two seasons, the juice was worth the squeeze. 

That said, we already got our generational player for this generation, so we'd better go with the other plan, lol. 

Nah, I hear ya.

Interesting that this thread was brought up. Been thinking a lot about that 2010 cycle this week. Even told my son that We haven’t had a NSD like this since 2010. (That may be a stretch, but he’s 15, he won’t remember 2010). Seriously though 2010 was the last time I can remember getting pretty much most the guys that we were in on. Which is pretty much what happened this week in recruiting.  That is a good feeling!!

Ironically, I knew 2010 was different when I read across the scroll that T. Reed had committed to the good guys. Matter of fact after that is when I found AE which lead me to AUF. Continuing on the Full circle train 😆 and this year who else, but T. Reed is out closing on the trail for us. Man, I Love Auburn!!

WDE!!!

Edited by TXaubie
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, selias said:

No offense but this is about where I've been all day. Our previous coach sapped so much of my enjoyment of college football

Damn, Eddie was a freakin' magician. "Van Halen" with Erupton/Runnin' With The Devil/etc. is an all-time great and was my first real "rock" album. I wore that vinyl out... never could buy into Van Hagar I have to admit

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, fredst said:

Damn, Eddie was a freakin' magician. "Van Halen" with Erupton/Runnin' With The Devil/etc. is an all-time great and was my first real "rock" album. I wore that vinyl out... never could buy into Van Hagar I have to admit

Van Hagar is garbage except for a couple songs. Maybe just one.

The production on the Van Halen albums was insane. There have been better rock records since, but I don't think there have been better *sounding* rock records. That very slight echo on the songs you mention by name... just masterful stuff. 

• Love 1

40 minutes ago, AUEAGLE said:

Covid cost us nothing.

A brand new staff from the west who had no opportunity to meet in person with recruits for almost a full year? Either at home in in Auburn!   It cost us in relationships which is the key to recruiting.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, tinman said:

A brand new staff from the west who had no opportunity to meet in person with recruits for almost a full year? Either at home in in Auburn!   It cost us in relationships which is the key to recruiting.

Did not stop us from pulling a top 15 class at this point. Do not think Covid changed any outcome last year as they didn’t have much time to recruit because of the timing of the hire.

On 7/3/2021 at 7:51 PM, McLoofus said:

Chad Slade, Corey Lemonier and Cam Newton were the only legit NFL players in that class.

Brandon Mosley was drafted in the 4th Round.

Shon Coleman was drafted in the 3rd Round. I’ve always felt if it had not been for leukemia, he would have gone in the 1st Round.

Cody Parkey wasn’t drafted (not many kickers are), but has played every season since he left AU. 

Likewise, Steven Clark not drafted, made a NFL squad for 2 seasons.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Viper said:

Brandon Mosley was drafted in the 4th Round.

Shon Coleman was drafted in the 3rd Round. I’ve always felt if it had not been for leukemia, he would have gone in the 1st Round.

Cody Parkey wasn’t drafted (not many kickers are), but has played every season since he left AU. 

Likewise, Steven Clark not drafted, made a NFL squad for 2 seasons.

Yeah I missed on Parkey.

How many combined seasons for the rest? Starts?

16 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Yeah I missed on Parkey.

How many combined seasons for the rest? Starts?

No clue. Just listed their draft spots / FA pickups.

2 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Yeah. Draftee doesn't equal legitimate NFL player, unfortunately. 

No matter their draft position. 

On paper, our 2010 class was historical. Was a bust for the most part, but did have a few draft picks.

Most importantly, it included the #1 overall 2011 draft pick, the best transfer pickup in AU history, which even with the red hot transfer portal in its infant stages now, I doubt will ever be topped.

4 minutes ago, Viper said:

On paper, our 2010 class was historical. Was a bust for the most part

This was the point I was making and to which you responded. It was not a class to aspire to, outside of Cam. Further to that...

4 minutes ago, Viper said:

Most importantly, it included the #1 overall 2011 draft pick, the best transfer pickup in AU history, which even with the red hot transfer portal in its infant stages now, I doubt will ever be topped.

...agreed, and that last part is critical to any analysis comparing now to then. Cam was a lightning strike farted by a unicorn. Harsin will not be afforded the insane stroke of luck that Eugene was. 

Comparing the rest, I could easily see this class being better than that one.

2 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

This was the point I was making and to which you responded. It was not a class to aspire to, outside of Cam.

From our team’s standpoint, outside of Cam, that class gave us Dyer & Mosley, two badly needed pickups.

Fannin was not the answer, esp with his fumble issues. Being he started 8 games, it was a minor miracle Dyer hit the 1000 yard mark and broke Bo’s Freshman record all with Cam & O-Mac soaking up numerous carries.

Mosley because we needed an OT with experience to fill the lone missing spot on a veteran O-Line. At that time, I don’t think anyone had him getting drafted higher than Ziemba (Round 7). So he was a huge pickup.