Chizik 2010 vs Harsin 2022 recruiting

Mikey

3 hours ago, selias said:

Dude, it's Viper. Just scroll past his posts, I've made the recent mistake of engaging with him and I can say that it's not worth it. I can only assume he's still here because he hasn't blatantly violated some rule.

I'll give him a little credit though, he's a masterful troll.

It’s very simple. I call it how I see it, good, bad or indifferent. When it’s good, you pumpers agree with it. When it’s not, you don’t.

But by all means…you pumpers continue to sugarcoat a 6-6 season with a HC that’s only got more clout in the SEC than Clark Lea. And even that’s a stretch considering where they last coached. Please do carry on with more contrary evidence.

3 minutes ago, Viper said:

It’s very simple. I call it how I see it, good, bad or indifferent. When it’s good, you pumpers agree with it. When it’s not, you don’t.

But by all means…you pumpers continue to sugarcoat a 6-6 season with a HC that’s only got more clout in the SEC than Clark Lea. And even that’s a stretch considering where they last coached. Please do carry on with more contrary evidence.

So you think Harsin is totally in over his head  and will flame out by ‘24?

3 minutes ago, Viper said:

Who was your alternative? Why aren’t you calling the shots?

8 minutes ago, Tiger Refuge said:

So you think Harsin is totally in over his head  and will flame out by ‘24?

He might have been a great hire for us in 1999 or maybe 2009, but the SEC is too loaded now.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, slyinsocal said:

Who was your alternative? Why aren’t you calling the shots?

Mario. Then Napier.

Supposedly, AU offered both in that order with Harsin 3rd or 4th on the list. 

I’m a fan. Duh. 

2 minutes ago, Viper said:

Mario. Then Napier.

Supposedly, AU offered both in that order with Harsin 3rd or 4th on the list. 

I’m a fan. Duh. 

Mario is a good recruiter no doubt. But there are those who say he’s not a good head coach and underachieved at Oregon. Boat loads of talent. With 3 recruiting classes on board, no way they should have lost to a horrible Stanford team and then get boat raced, twice, by Utah. He got owned by Iowa State in the bowl game last year. He inherited Justin Herbert (Eugene, OR born and raised) and by year 2 after his graduation, this year, he STILL didn’t have a decent QB. This should have been his best team and he blew it. Had he come here, who’s to say he wouldn’t have bolted for Miami anyway? That’s his alma mater.

Napier? You can’t point to a single thing on his resume that is better than Harsin. Years as a HC. Winning Pct. Conference championships, etc.

• Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, Tiger Refuge said:

I think he will be here past 2024.

So at least 5 seasons? In an environment that fires HCs after 3 seasons for averaging 8 wins/season? You know to last 5 seasons, he will have to make a significant improvement over Gus to justify firing Gus? You realize Gus averaged 8.5 wins/season?

24 minutes ago, Viper said:

So at least 5 seasons? In an environment that fires HCs after 3 seasons for averaging 8 wins/season? You know to last 5 seasons, he will have to make a significant improvement over Gus to justify firing Gus? You realize Gus averaged 8.5 wins/season?

Yes. You can slice it any way you want. I expect Harsin to improve.

Keep comparing stuff to Gus if you like. Harsin isn’t Gus.

51 minutes ago, slyinsocal said:

Mario is a good recruiter no doubt. But there are those who say he’s not a good head coach and underachieved at Oregon. Boat loads of talent. With 3 recruiting classes on board, no way they should have lost to a horrible Stanford team and then get boat raced, twice, by Utah. He got owned by Iowa State in the bowl game last year. He inherited Justin Herbert (Eugene, OR born and raised) and by year 2 after his graduation, this year, he STILL didn’t have a decent QB. This should have been his best team and he blew it. Had he come here, who’s to say he wouldn’t have bolted for Miami anyway? That’s his alma mater.

Napier? You can’t point to a single thing on his resume that is better than Harsin. Years as a HC. Winning Pct. Conference championships, etc.

100% agreed on Mario bolting for Miami after the fact. Prior to the fact, he gave no indication he was leaving Oregon anytime soon. Yes we all know HCs lie, but no one with a horn loud enough was predicting him to Miami after he signed the big extension at Oregon. 

Also agreed on his in-game coaching abilities. dink and kirbs both suffered the same early in their HC careers, but blue chip recruits, which hires good assistants, covers up poor in-game decisions. I said one year ago on this forum the only realistic candidate we were after that could recruit toe to toe with those two was Mario. Recruiting solves all. A&M fans are about to find that out. Jimbo runs a boring old school offense like kirbs prefers (and what dink used to prefer), but the blue chippers are about to make A&M another elite SEC program, which is another dagger in our annual schedule. Brian Kelly won’t be far behind.

Never said Napier was better than Harsin. No one has a clue on that. But we all knew of Napier. Who here named Harsin as a serious candidate immediately after Gus was fired? Heck, who here had ever heard of Harsin prior to the day Gus was fired? The collective reaction on this board the day of his hiring was “Who?”

Now everyone here is backing him, 6-6 record n all. Because he gives good pressers? Because he’s the antithesis of Gus? The guy who just took over play-calling duties after he fired “his” guy and then hired a stand-in as OC. Haven’t seen that one in…oh…2 or 3 seasons.

Like it or not…with who he is competing against for recruits in addition to not having any name recognition…he is in an uphill, no-win situation to survive in the SEC. He can’t sell himself or the promise of the NFL because he has little to no evidence of it. He can’t sell a high-powered offense or a former Heisman winner like Gus relied on. The only thing he has to sell that is concrete proven is Auburn. Since Dye, that used to always work no matter our HC. Not any longer. Not in today’s SEC where you can no longer chalk up easy wins over Ole Miss, MSU, ARK & the East rotator. Throw in A&M + LSU about to become major forces and Harsin will be out three years tops.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Tiger Refuge said:

Keep comparing stuff to Gus if you like. Harsin isn’t Gus.

https://www.idahopress.com/blueturfsports/calling-plays-the-logical-move-for-harsin-boise-state/article_92282a93-2417-5fa6-93f2-2b128455cc13.amp.html

Aug 1, 2016

After losing two offensive coordinators in two years, Harsin decided to take over play-call duties himself this fall. 

https://www.theplainsman.com/article/2021/12/auburn-hires-austin-davis-as-new-offensive-coordinator

12/18/2021

It is believed that head coach Bryan Harsin will call the plays, while Davis will coordinate the overall offense and help with quarterbacks.

2 hours ago, Viper said:

I call it like I see it too, and I see a guy that doesn't know what he is talking about.

• Like 1

Many new hires in the SEC don't work out. The numbers favor @Viper's prediction. Of course, we could get lucky, the jury will still be out for three years, barring a total collapse.

Florida= On their fourth since Meyer

A&M=on their seventh since R.C. Slocum

Bammer= went through five between Stallings and Saban

Tennessee=Too many to bother counting.

LSU=still in a state of flux after firing the Mad Hatter.

We could get lucky. Or not. The smart money would be on not. Since I'm an Auburn fan and don't have to bet, I hope Harsin succeeds. Reality is that he'd have to be an outlier to last very long.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Viper said:

https://www.idahopress.com/blueturfsports/calling-plays-the-logical-move-for-harsin-boise-state/article_92282a93-2417-5fa6-93f2-2b128455cc13.amp.html

Aug 1, 2016

After losing two offensive coordinators in two years, Harsin decided to take over play-call duties himself this fall. 

https://www.theplainsman.com/article/2021/12/auburn-hires-austin-davis-as-new-offensive-coordinator

12/18/2021

It is believed that head coach Bryan Harsin will call the plays, while Davis will coordinate the overall offense and help with quarterbacks.

Okay.

Have a good night.

10 minutes ago, Didba said:

I call it like I see it too, and I see a guy that doesn't know what he is talking about.

You call it with no substance. Congrats.

11 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Many new hires in the SEC don't work out. The numbers favor @Viper's prediction. Of course, we could get lucky, the jury will still be out for three years, barring a total collapse.

Florida= On their fourth since Meyer

A&M=on their seventh since R.C. Slocum

Bammer= went through five between Stallings and Saban

Tennessee=Too many to bother counting.

LSU=still in a state of flux after firing the Mad Hatter.

We could get lucky. Or not. The smart money would be on not. Since I'm an Auburn fan and don't have to bet, I hope Harsin succeeds. Reality is that he'd have to be an outlier to last very long.

No one has a clue with Napier at FL.

With their recruiting, A&M is no joke. Jimbo ain't going anywhere anytime soon.

Brian Kelly is a homerun hire for LSU. With the talent in that state, he will be not far behind Jimbo in recruiting and could be neck and neck with dink in recruiting within two seasons.

Tennessee - We rarely compete with them on the field or in recruiting.

I hope I'm wrong about the fate of our program the next 3 years. I see a downward spiral like Tennessee has endured. Harsin talks a good talk, but pressers don't win games or sign blue chips. Show me the proof in wins (min of 9/season) and recruiting (Top 10 every season) and I'll gladly admit I'm wrong. If he can't top an average of 8.5 wins/season, he's just another Gus on the chopping block.

12 minutes ago, ClaytonAU said:

Yawn, y’all let trolls run these threads sometimes. Ignore button is your friend!

Done. Should have done it years ago.

34 minutes ago, Viper said:

You call it with no substance. Congrats.

the substance is your posts lmao

13 hours ago, selias said:

We don't talk about that weekend in NOLA

DAMMIT!!! You said you'd never bring that up again!!!!!!!1! 

:laugh:

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1