predictions for the season

KnightTiger

On 8/11/2021 at 10:14 AM, toddc said:

There’s definitely more to it than experience and time at a position in their evals. I would also assume they are better than 90% of fans at it. Still doesn’t make them right though if you want to be precise. Past play would be the biggest indicator by far when making predictions-see Tank on 1st team.

You know what assuming does, right?

1 hour ago, tbone4jc said:

You do realize the dline was the main problem last year. It is razor thin now. Mason is a great hire and will eventually get us there, just ain't happening this year. You also know that some of our returning players with experience wasn't all that great, not putting our players down because anyone who suits up for Auburn is my dude, and it takes more than a few reps to get rid of old habits when the lights come on. 

We are going to improve as the season progresses and as we get better players on the oline and dline over the next few seasons. You keep your enthusiasm and dream on...War Eagle

Absolutely DL was one of our main problems last year on that side of the ball. You do realize that DL similar to OL normally takes a couple seasons for a player to mature and full develop to reach their prime playing level, right?

Colby Wooden was a solid player on a weak unit last year. Then we also had a lot of youth last year. Those guys should all be improved this season. 

We also have a better staff. I wasn't very high on KSteel or Rodney G as coaches. I think Steele rode the coattails of a couple of generational players. Rodney didn't seem to be able to develop pass rushers. 

We got carved up a few games for sure, but I saw a lot to be hopeful about with Wooden, Hall, and Walker along with several of the transfers. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

After the larest fiasco with Harsin and other coaches and player, plus the decision by Auburn to ignore the COVID goals, I'm going with 6-6 at best and maybe even 5-7.  And that is even f Auburn doesn't have to forfeit any games due to COVID.

Sorry ti be so negative. Im usually pretty optimistic. But given the current, ....................

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Facepalm 4

I had been very optimistic about this season. I was going to predict 10-2, while expecting even better. A lot of the pieces are in place.

However, this bungling of the Covid situation has me worried. Is this an indication of the overall management capability of this staff? If it is, there's no way to predict a record. The season could be a complete fiasco. On the other hand, if the Covid bungle was a one-time thing a 10-2 or better season is possible.

I can't see how to predict anything, I'll just watch with extreme interest.

• Haha 1
  • Facepalm 2

I’m going to be honest, everyone’s talking about how bad the schedule is—have these people been cryogenically frozen the last decade? This is pretty much the schedule we’ve always played. 🤷‍♂️ 

(I hope TX and OK help to change that.)

Including bowl, our goals should be 8 wins this year, 7 wins next year, and 9 wins the year after that.

Edited by AUwent

2 hours ago, AUwent said:

Including bowl, our goals should be 8 wins this year, 7 wins next year, and 9 wins the year after that.

That's an average of 8 wins per season. People say our last coach got fired for those 8-win seasons.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mikey said:

That's an average of 8 wins per season. People say our last coach got fired for those 8-win seasons.

I would say our last coach got fired for being dominated by 2 of 3 of our rivals, not being able to develop QBs, absolute failure to recruit the OL adequately, failing to adapt his offense, losing games we should have clearly won,  and not looking competitive in many games.

Add in the trajectory of the overall program in a downward direction....all 8-5 seasons are not the same.

Edited by Tigerpro2a
  • Like 6

Honestly? I’ve tried taking the colored glasses off and looking at it from an unbiased perspective. I still think 9-10 wins is doable. I think our defense will be the best it has been in years, o line should be better, and a veteran QB that has won big games before. Apparently D Rob and Johnson have looked great at WR as well, which is an excellent sign. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Tigerpro2a said:

I would say our last coach got fired for being dominated by 2 of 3 of our rivals, not being able to develop QBs, absolute failure to recruit the OL adequately, failing to adapt his offense, losing games we should have clearly won,  and not looking competitive in many games.

Add in the trajectory of the overall program in a downward direction....all 8-5 seasons are not the same.

guy-arguing.gif

• Love 1
  • Haha 3

6-6 this year and demonstrating a far different work ethic and intensity level is acceptable this year.   Still too much uncertainty at QB and WR to really feel like we're positioned for anything other than a well played .500 campaign.

W
Akron
Alabama State
Ga State
Arkansas
Miss State
South Carolina

L
Penn State
LSU 
Georgia
TAMU
Alabama

Tossup
Ole Miss

If Auburn goes 6 and 6 that will be very disappointing. I believe this team has more talent then the last team that went 6 and 6. If memory serves me right that year was a mess. Especially at the QB position. I think the team is better off than that.

Edited by e808
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

We arent giving this defense and derek mason enough credit. Which is exactly what he wants im sure. But that D plus a strong ground game will lower the amount of possessions and shorten the game. Idk how many wins its worth but  it keeps it close enough to win a lot

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The defense can be on point but U still need to put points on the board. 2012 defense was good. The held until the couldn’t any more. The offense was so bad u could have started them off at the 10 yard line the entire game and probably would have been lucky to put 10 points on the board.

Edited by e808
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, e808 said:

If Auburn goes 6 and 6 that will be very disappointing. I believe this team has more talent then the last team that went 6 and 6. If memory serves me right that year was a mess. Especially at the QB position. I think we are better off than that.

Just curious:

Does this mean anything to you?

1110|1000|0000|1000

7 minutes ago, CodeRocket said:

Just curious:

Does this mean anything to you?

1110|1000|0000|1000

Yes in computer terms . So what’s ur point

Edited by e808

7 minutes ago, e808 said:

Yes in computer terms . So what’s ur point

It is your screen name represented in binary notation. I used to work with hexadecimal, octal, and binary number systems and your screen name hexadecimal (e808) is equivalent to binary 1110|1000|0000|1000. No point really it just caught my attention.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, CodeRocket said:

It is your screen name represented in binary notation. I used to work with hexadecimal, octal, and binary number systems and your screen name hexadecimal (e808) is equivalent to binary 1110|1000|0000|1000. No point really it just caught my attention.

Oh ok cool. That didn’t dawn on me when the name was created. The 808 comes from Hawaii.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, e808 said:

If Auburn goes 6 and 6 that will be very disappointing. I believe this team has more talent then the last team that went 6 and 6. If memory serves me right that year was a mess. Especially at the QB position. I think we are better off than that.

Last year's team had 10 big games and won six. This year's team has nine big games, so make the minimal improvement from wining 60% to 67%  of the big games, toss in the three gimme games and we are at 9-3. That should be the very bottom of expectations.

Compared to a normal year, AU lost very little to graduation and transfers. Last year's coaching staff was in disarray and that shouldn't be the case this time. I'll be very disappointed if we do worse than 9-3.

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Dislike 1

13 hours ago, Mikey said:

Last year's team had 10 big games and won six. This year's team has nine big games, so make the minimal improvement from wining 60% to 67%  of the big games, toss in the three gimme games and we are at 9-3. That should be the very bottom of expectations.

Compared to a normal year, AU lost very little to graduation and transfers. Last year's coaching staff was in disarray and that shouldn't be the case this time. I'll be very disappointed if we do worse than 9-3.

While I think 9 would be a great season, I just don’t know that we only lose 3 between the following games: Arky, PSU, Miss, Bama, A&M, LSU, UGA. I mean given that this is a new year w new coaches, hopefully better, the schedule is just brutal. I think if we beat a hungry PSU team up there, then that could set the stage for a 8 and 4 season, but I just don’t think we beat Bama, UGA, A&M and choose Lsu or Miss. just my thoughts. 

19 hours ago, Old fan 47 said:

, but I just don’t think we beat Bama, UGA, A&M and choose Lsu or Miss. just my thoughts. 

If we lose to LSU or Ole' Miss, we'll be losing to a team we beat last year. If this year's AU team is better, and it should be, I would hope that doesn't happen. I'm hoping/expecting 10-2 myself. That only requires beating one of the three you've named. 9-3 should be the bottom.

• Like 1
  • Dislike 1

Still don’t know what to think. I know the talent is there, so they could easily snap back and win 9 games, but also worried about the new scheme. They go from an awful offense to a normal one. So weird. Regardless, I’m excited for a more normal season. 

23 minutes ago, Mikey said:

If we lose to LSU or Ole' Miss, we'll be losing to a team we beat last year. If this year's AU team is better, and it should be, I would hope that doesn't happen. I'm hoping/expecting 10-2 myself. That only requires beating one of the three you've named. 9-3 should be the bottom.

Is Auburn the only team that is allowed to improve? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, gr82be said:

No, but we've got more returning players than usual, and we shouldn't experience less improvement than the teams we beat last season.

One thing could throw a monkey wrench into this optimistic view and it's the virus situation. If we have to forfeit one or two games or key players have to be held out, then all bets are off. However, that's been fully discussed elsewhere.

• Like 1
  • Dislike 1

11 minutes ago, gr82be said:

Thank you. 

Most of us have been at this quite a long time and should understand by now that change is the only constant. Auburn fans in particular should be acutely aware of this. 

Edited by McLoofus
  • Like 1