McElroy and Cubelic in the Morning - Auburn Film Study

Howard Roark

Heard most of this live….You are right; plenty of things to work on, but a lot of reasons for optimism. Both of these guys are good analysts.

• Like 1

Excellent analysis.

Couldn't stand McElroy when he was a player at Alabama, but he is one of the best I've heard at what he does now. My opinion of the guy has certainly evolved.

• Like 8

Saw McElroy and Patrick Nix speak at a Christian Men’s Conference and they were both really cool guys.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, Eagle-1 said:

Excellent analysis.

Couldn't stand McElroy when he was a player at Alabama, but he is one of the best I've heard at what he does now. My opinion of the guy has certainly evolved.

when he shot us that bird in the cam back iron bowl i screamed at him to choke on it. he thought it was poor sportsmanship for cam to act hurt and then jump up laughing. but no one talks about the take the money song and play money thrown at auburn that day. it took me a long time to forgive him he did apologize abd said it was in bad taste and his emotions caught up with him. funny i dislike bill curry but he was a great commentator and easy to understand.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

when he shot us that bird in the cam back iron bowl i screamed at him to choke on it. he thought it was poor sportsmanship for cam to act hurt and then jump up laughing. but no one talks about the take the money song and play money thrown at auburn that day. it took me a long time to forgive him he did apologize abd said it was in bad taste and his emotions caught up with him. funny i dislike bill curry but he was a great commentator and easy to understand.

I have always like Curry. He spoke at my high school sports banquet back about 1980. Always thought he had far too much class for Tuscaloosa. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

T'Sharvan Bell set him straight. ;)

Ok, but can someone give me a TL;DW?

Edited by AUwent
  • Like 4

On 8/20/2021 at 4:53 PM, aubiefifty said:

when he shot us that bird in the cam back iron bowl i screamed at him to choke on it. he thought it was poor sportsmanship for cam to act hurt and then jump up laughing.

I’ve never ever understood how some of our fans discerned that was a bird to our fans. HE WAS IN BAMMER’S STADIUM. The Auburn fans were in the upper deck well adjacent to the bammers in the end zone. So he flipped off his own fans??

SMDH

58 minutes ago, Viper said:

I’ve never ever understood how some of our fans discerned that was a bird to our fans. HE WAS IN BAMMER’S STADIUM. The Auburn fans were in the upper deck well adjacent to the bammers in the end zone. So he flipped off his own fans??

SMDH

Pretty sure it was the 2009 iron bowl he shot our fans the bird. Was in Auburn. Honestly, who really cares at this point. 

Edited by twilli13

Can’t blame old Mc for much after Tbell slapped him silly. 

• Like 2
  • Love 2

18 hours ago, twilli13 said:

Pretty sure it was the 2009 iron bowl he shot our fans the bird. Was in Auburn. Honestly, who really cares at this point. 

It was definitely the 2010 Iron Bowl in Tuscaloser...

mcelroy-flips-bird-to-au-ironbowl-75.jpg

4 hours ago, Viper said:

It was definitely the 2010 Iron Bowl in Tuscaloser...

mcelroy-flips-bird-to-au-ironbowl-75.jpg

Lol. Man. My memory has apparently become s*** upon hitting 40. I have distinct image in my mind of Mcelroy doing it in the 2009 iron bowl but with both hands turned up more, a more obvious flip off to the student section. Maybe I'm mixing it up with another rival QB...Jesse Palmer, some other tool like that. Hell I dunno what to believe at this point. 

Edited by twilli13

18 hours ago, twilli13 said:

Lol. Man. My memory has apparently become s*** upon hitting 40. I have distinct image in my mind of Mcelroy doing it in the 2009 iron bowl but with both hands turned up more, a more obvious flip off to the student section. Maybe I'm mixing it up with another rival QB...Jesse Palmer, some other tool like that. Hell I dunno what to believe at this point. 

I can’t imagine a QB flipping off an opposing student section. Talk about creating your own death sentence. It would follow him the rest of his life. Not even JF, the villian himself, went anywhere close to that far.

Was 2010 and wasn’t a flip off to anyone. 

Edited by Viper
  • Thanks 1

On 8/20/2021 at 5:53 PM, aubiefifty said:

Yeah, well McElroy probably doesn't remember that after T'Sharvan's hit.

• Love 1
  • Haha 2

33 minutes ago, meh130 said:

Yeah, well McElroy probably doesn't remember that after T'Sharvan's hit.

i like greg now but boy i did not when he played. he got his ass beat and all he could do is shoot birds........lol

19 hours ago, Viper said:

I can’t imagine a QB flipping off an opposing student section. Talk about creating your own death sentence. It would follow him the rest of his life. Not even JF, the villian himself, went anywhere close to that far.

Thank you for all of this. This is the stuff that makes us forfeit any claim to being the better side of the rivalry. 

There's so much legitimate material to focus on- 'Son of a Preacher Man', Updyke, the terrible names they give their children- and yet we have to invent stuff about one of the classier dudes to emerge from that side. 

• Thanks 1

Just finished listening to the podcast and there was a lot of good info. Some of it makes me think that we are in an uphill climb this year (which we totally are), and other parts give me hope that we can string together a nice season to build on. 

On 8/23/2021 at 12:56 PM, Viper said:

Are you indicating that's beyond the realm of possibility? Is say it's possible. I may have remembered wrong in this instance, but its definitely possible. 

fingerstotheworld.0.jpeg

flip_birds1.jpg

12 hours ago, twilli13 said:

Are you indicating that's beyond the realm of possibility? Is say it's possible. I may have remembered wrong in this instance, but its definitely possible. 

fingerstotheworld.0.jpeg

flip_birds1.jpg

It appears the Sooner is at the Red River shootout, which is a neutral site. It appears the Gator is at home against Tennessee after the game.

Far far away from a bammer QB flipping off the AU Student section during the game.

40 minutes ago, Viper said:

It appears the Sooner is at the Red River shootout, which is a neutral site. It appears the Gator is at home against Tennessee after the game.

Far far away from a bammer QB flipping off the AU Student section during the game.

I think that's a Rocky Top crowd in the top photo. Oklahoma played at Tennessee a few years back (Sooners won in OT, I think), and that orange in the crowd looks to be more Creamsicle than burnt orange.

So, Vol fans appear to be obnoxious...and in other news, water is wet. 😏

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Viper said:

I respectfully disagree with that statement (the 'Far far away from a bammer QB flipping off the AU Student section during the game' part). Clearly, we aren't on the same page here. Good day to you sir. 😀

On 8/20/2021 at 4:53 PM, aubiefifty said:

He did not shoot a bird, dude. He had a horn sign while holding his mouthpiece in his hand.

10 minutes ago, Swamp Eagle said:

He did not shoot a bird, dude. He had a horn sign while holding his mouthpiece in his hand.

i have seen it a million times. he was mad and faced the auburn bench. show me something that clearly shows it and i will believe you because minds do play tricks. besides i thought gregs emotions caught up with him. link?