QB1 TJ Finley!

tgrogan21

19 minutes ago, SRBautigerfan said:

I don't understand anything you said after that.  Finley delivered.  Wasn't perfect but he delivered.  Nix looked terrible.  Maybe Finley flops at LSU and Nix comes in to bail him out, who knows, but he delivered, saved the day and deserves the start.

the DE crashed inside was picked up by #8. the instant he flashed in front of him, Finley literally turned and ran backward to "escape"? then turned back around, ran up and threw

even on the move, most of his passes were at least catchable. the same cannot be said of Bo. Finley is QB1 until he plays himself out of the position

Edited by EastAl_Tiger
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Randman5000 said:

Bo didn't have any....

He also didn’t have guys jumping and contorting to catch the ball to keep the drives alive either. It’s all relative. 

I hope TJ does great. But what we saw today does not insure that. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, DAG said:

The back up won us the game today

True. And it was the right move. And once Finley starts struggling everyone will be calling for Davis.

Circle of Fandom...

• Thanks 1

Just now, JBiGGiE said:

True. And it was the right move. And once Finley starts struggling everyone will be calling for Davis.

Circle of Fandom...

DD actually has tremendous upside that makes sense. Bo has been here for 3 years. He has had ample of opportunity. People need to let it go.

• Like 1

Don’t care what anyone says. I applaud the coaching staff for making the tough call to yank a destiny ordained, 3 year starter legacy QB from a game. A homecoming game at that.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, CCTAU said:

He also didn’t have guys jumping and contorting to catch the ball to keep the drives alive either. It’s all relative. 

yep....I get that TJ will get the start.  I get that.....

But I'm hoping it's a pretty quick hook and we go back to Bo because I don't want the LSU game to get too out of hand and I think we can win with Bo who will then become the starter again.

I just don't think TJ is going to be accurate.  What I saw in the game today were some pretty bad misses. To open guys.  Now I know the response is that Bo is known for having accuracy issues......True, but I still think he has the chance to be much more accurate than TJ

My guess is that Harsin feels this, but the outcry to not give TJ a chance against LSU would be too great.  So we are going to see him.  I hope I'm wrong but I don't think the results will

be good.

• Haha 5
  • Facepalm 1

I don’t know if Finley works out in the long run. But he has some advantages. Big, tall, and strong enough to play through the chaos in the pocket. Keeps his eyes downfield. AND, all of a sudden, the short and intermediate. passing game. actually looked competent with some rhythm for the first time. Throws on time and WAY more on target. If he dials it down some on the long throws, we may have something. I think he can. At the least the long throws had a snowball’s chance compared to what we’d seen to this point.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DAG said:

based on what?

just based on watching TJ throw today......he had some really bad misses when he had a clean pocket and 3 open guys(on different plays) streaking down the field.  He overthrew all of them i believe.  Even the 20+ yard pass that hit the ground to the TE that they somehow gave us to take it to the 11 was not a good ball in that situation....and that was actually one of his better throws relative to the others.

As I said I don't think Nix is accurate either, and that is something he struggles with.  It does look like finley has a much bigger arm(which we knew) but I don't think he has any control over where it's going.  

But that's why they play the game so we can see.  I just hope CBH doesn't wait until like 21-0 or 24-3 to make the switch back to Bo.

19 minutes ago, CCTAU said:

Yeah he did... He had a Johnson diving and Shenker..

No one knows how TJ will work out. But we all should know about Bo by now. He's not getting it done in his third year. 

It's just like Harsin. He may or may not work out. But if he doesn't, it does NOT mean we should have kept Gus. If TJ doesn't work, it doesn't mean it was dumb to try something else. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Randman5000 said:

Yeah he did... He had a Johnson diving and Shenker..

Did Bo have a guy jumping up in the end zone catching the ball? Did he have a Canion catching a ball on the sideline by twisting back and making a play. There are other examples also. I’m not saying Bo was better, I’m saying there’s not much difference between the two, except the height. 

If the team plays better for TJ, then play TJ. If not, play the guy that has the best week of practice. 

4 minutes ago, Auburninbham said:

just based on watching TJ throw today......he had some really bad misses when he had a clean pocket and 3 open guys(on different plays) streaking down the field.  He overthrew all of them i believe.  Even the 20+ yard pass that hit the ground to the TE that they somehow gave us to take it to the 11 was not a good ball in that situation....and that was actually one of his better throws relative to the others.

As I said I don't think Nix is accurate either, and that is something he struggles with.  It does look like finley has a much bigger arm(which we knew) but I don't think he has any control over where it's going.  

But that's why they play the game so we can see.  I just hope CBH doesn't wait until like 21-0 or 24-3 to make the switch back to Bo.

He also kept the play alive several times. Something Bo has been incapable of doing. He also was in his first game thrown in a situation for a comeback. Bo has had 3 years to start and prove his accuracy. I don't know why you need more time to see change. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Auburninbham said:

You still aren't explaining why when Bo does it you feel like he can get better

And that pass to the tight end is literally the most NFL throw that has been made. 

1 minute ago, CCTAU said:

Did Bo have a guy jumping up in the end zone catching the ball? Did he have a Canion catching a ball on the sideline by twisting back and making a play. There are other examples also. I’m not saying Bo was better, I’m saying there’s not much difference between the two, except the height. 

If the team plays better for TJ, then play TJ. If not, play the guy that has the best week of practice. 

Bo threw to him in the end zone but the pass was so bad he couldn't reach it after jumping

• Like 2

Just now, DAG said:

He also kept the play alive several times. Something Bo has been incapable of doing. He also was in his first game thrown in a situation for a comeback. Bo has had 3 years to start and prove his accuracy. I don't know why you need more time to see change. 

True. He did that on one drive and it was a thing of beauty. But in the previous drives, he missed open guys and struggled. He may turn out to be great, but tonight is not definitive proof of that. 
We’ll see what happens. 

1 minute ago, cbo said:

No one knows how TJ will work out. But we all should know about Bo by now. He's not getting it done in his third year. 

It's just like Harsin. He may or may not work out. But if he doesn't, it does NOT mean we should have kept Gus. If TJ doesn't work, it doesn't mean it was dumb to try something else. 

Agreed. Although I'm not expecting this to miraculously change who Nix is at QB, he needed to be sat if for no other reason than for him understand Harsin is willing to sit him.

Maybe TJ takes this job and runs with it. Maybe not, but if Nix does end up playing again, he's better off because of what happened today.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, cole256 said:

Bo threw to him in the end zone but the pass was so bad he couldn't reach it after jumping

You mean the pass that hit his hands?

Just now, CCTAU said:

True. He did that on one drive and it was a thing of beauty. But in the previous drives, he missed open guys and struggled. He may turn out to be great, but tonight is not definitive proof of that. 
We’ll see what happens. 

I never said he would be great. I never said today was definitive proof of it. I can say that Bo has been here for 3 years and he still has proven to make the same mistakes as T.J. who hasn't had nearly the same amount of experience and TJ at least showed some playmaking ability in his limited time. That is ultimately all I needed to see. 

2 hours ago, sevenlee36 said:

He had 1 drive for a TD. That’s great.

"1 drive."

One 98 yard drive with the game on the line converting multiple 3rd and longs and a miraculous 4th and 9. Give the guy his due. It's his job.

• Like 2

Just now, CCTAU said:

You mean the pass that hit his hands?

No that was capers, but that was a bad pass too but the play before that

1 minute ago, DAG said:

I never said he would be great. I never said today was definitive proof of it. I can say that Bo has been here for 3 years and he still has proven to make the same mistakes as T.J. who hasn't had nearly the same amount of experience and TJ at least showed some playmaking ability in his limited time. That is ultimately all I needed to see. 

Projecting much.

I never said anything about you saying TJ would be great. 
I just stated he may turn out to be great.