QB1 TJ Finley!

tgrogan21

17 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

Also, I think there’s a good chance Bo starts in BR…don’t know that we want to throw Finley into that environment, with all the personal emotion and history.  Could be a disaster that hinders his development.

Kinda with you here. One of the most impressive things in the Penn State game was Bo never looked bothered by the crowd. Very poised. We don't know about TJ in that environment.  However, being that he used to play in Tiger Stadium often, maybe it doesn't bother him due to being comfortable there.  🤔 

All I know is the majority of our losses in Death Valley are due to blitzkriegs at the beginning before we settle in.  We get behind too far too early.  So I just hope we get the guy in there that avoids that.  I honestly think both QBs will play well there Saturday night, but who will elevate the team better?  If Finley brings out the best in our receiving corp like Canion, and Capers, then that opens up our passing game.  But where did Robertson go? He excelled with Bo. I like the velocity and spin on the ball with TJ and he made it happen when game was on the line.  That was great to see.   

I think we need to go with the better downfield arm, which seems like Finley. Need to focus on freeing up the RBs as priority 1.

9 hours ago, AUreo said:

DDavis is not getting a fair shot.

Guy is 4th on the DC behind Grant Loy.

Not sure why anyone thinks he's not getting a fair shake. He's a Tr Fr that isn't ready. The vast majority aren't 

Edited by W.E.D
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, au302 said:

It's gonna be interesting. Harsin will probably bring in some transfer from the west coast that is a solid pocket passer QB, most likely a tested veteran. 4 man competition. I do think Holden will have a shot if TJ doesn't become the man this year. Hopefully DD gets his chance, but I wouldn't count on it

This! Think Zach Wilson, Max Hall, Tanner Mangum, Brett Rypien, type of QB etc. I would love to get a BYU QB. These guys are talented, smart, mature, and disciplined. If you go way back, BYU produced Steve Young and Ty Detmer among others.

Edited by AUreo
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, slyinsocal said:

Today’s game was won because someone was smart enough to find Finley in the transfer portal, evaluate him, get him on the roster, coach him up, AND have the guts to actually put him in with the game on the line.

But no. Let’s throw our hands up, scream at the sky, and jump off a cliff. It takes time to install a culture, and careful, smart decisions to flip over a roster.

Be patient.

This roster was not in need of flipping.  If that was the case, we would have been slaughtered at PSU last week, especially with the horrendous play calls.  In 2019 (we played no ooc teams in 2020) we played Oregon, Kent State, Tulane and Samford, winning all 4 games.  Ga State is not remarkably better than any of those teams.

I hope TJ sets the world on fire.  However, the last time I saw a game that he started was a beat down in Auburn.  He will have to play much better because, as he should know, LSU is not Ga State.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, AU9377 said:

This roster was not in need of flipping.  If that was the case, we would have been slaughtered at PSU last week, especially with the horrendous play calls.  In 2019 (we played no ooc teams in 2020) we played Oregon, Kent State, Tulane and Samford, winning all 4 games.  Ga State is not remarkably better than any of those teams.

I hope TJ sets the world on fire.  However, the last time I saw a game that he started was a beat down in Auburn.  He will have to play much better because, as he should know, LSU is not Ga State.

Well, Bo has had years.  It is past time to give someone else a chance.  

10 hours ago, Tiger Refuge said:

Please stop trying to minimize Finley’s win today.

He won.

Bo didn’t. 

That is 100% fact.

Stop it.

Nobody is minimizing anything, but the message board savior complex that many seem to have when they act as though he went out and set the world on fire is just silly.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, au302 said:

I do think Holden will have a shot

No. Just no.

Everyone needs to stop trying to hype every incoming freshman QB. Let kids develop. 99% aren't ready to play. Holden is in that 99%

TJ definitely has earned the start, but anything other than a wait and see attitude is overshooting it. Hopefully, TJ gets better and better every week, but this hyperbole of him being a THE MAN is a little ridiculous. Yes, he showed that he can lead the team. Yes, he made some good throws. Yes, he missed wide open receivers. Yes, the longest play on that drive was a gift given by SEC refs.

As for the team playing harder when he came in...how long does that last? He throws a pick or two, are they going to stop playing hard? If that's what your teammates do, you don't have much of a team, PERIOD. I'm sorry, but this team is not fixed by just changing out the quarterback. It's a step in the right direction I hope.

Edited by boisnumber1
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, AU9377 said:

Nobody is minimizing anything, but the message board savior complex that many seem to have when they act as though he went out and set the world on fire is just silly.

Can you show me where anyone said Finley “set the world on fire”? Serious question.

And the savior complex is just as bad as the “yeah, but…” complex. 

Edited by Tiger Refuge
Bad spelling

11 hours ago, cole256 said:

You said get much more accurate, which for a QB is much better. You haven't seen no be an accurate QB I'm assuming you are saying you haven't seen tj be one and that's why you expect him to be bad

I didn't say that about bo.  

14 hours ago, cole256 said:

I'm just glad we were able to see, what opportunity can really do. If I would've said this could happen I'd been a hater, dumb, or whatever. All I ever said was if you give everybody the same opportunity....who knows what can happen?

I think we are joking ourselves if we think TJ is a huge leap forward than Bo based on this performance. He was 56% completion rate ( what we posted as negative evidence for Bo). He missed most (if not all) the long throws that we’re there for him. He looked frantic with the pass rush. We definitely would have lost the game if not for the change, but will be really rough playing in his first home if they start him.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Hank2020 said:

I think we are joking ourselves if we think TJ is a huge leap forward than Bo based on this performance. He was 56% completion rate ( what we posted as negative evidence for Bo). He missed most (if not all) the long throws that we’re there for him. He looked frantic with the pass rush. We definitely would have lost the game if not for the change, but will be really rough playing in his first home if they start him.

I agree with the above, with the exception of I don't know if Bo couldnt have driven us down

for a td in one of four more drives.  After all he was close in his earlier drives and just missed

some throws.  Maybe he makes them in one of the last 4 drives.  I say maybe because it's hard to say, but just because he wasn't playing well doesnt mean he couldnt have scored a td in the fourth qtr.

12 hours ago, cbo said:

No one knows how TJ will work out. But we all should know about Bo by now. He's not getting it done in his third year. 

It's just like Harsin. He may or may not work out. But if he doesn't, it does NOT mean we should have kept Gus. If TJ doesn't work, it doesn't mean it was dumb to try something else. 

If we had kept Gus we would NOT have seen a QB change in the 3rd Qtr and we would have lost the game.  The mere fact that there was a QB change at that point gives me hope Harsin is going to be a better in-game coach than our previous offensive staff.

Going forward; whether Harsin starts Bo or TJ against LSU it will make an interesting week for us fans. Either way, I would think Harsin will have to monitor the QB’s performance to keep the game on the right track.  LSU’s defense and crowd will be relentless and fired us to prove TJ made the wrong decision about transferring if he starts.   Is TJ up to that much pressure?  I’m hoping he will be, but Death Valley is a tough place to play.  This is where Harsin will have to be a good in-game coach.

I have more confidence in this staff than our previous one in this regard.  Beat LSU (Corndogs).

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Auburninbham said:

I agree with the above, with the exception of I don't know if Bo couldnt have driven us down

for a td in one of four more drives.  After all he was close in his earlier drives and just missed

some throws.  Maybe he makes them in one of the last 4 drives.  I say maybe because it's hard to say, but just because he wasn't playing well doesnt mean he couldnt have scored a td in the fourth qtr.

I honestly would have liked to have seen the botched review of the drop by Shenker been correctly called - and then we scored. Not to take away from the plays TJ made, but without that SEC ref help, do we score? My gut says probably, but I wish I knew. That was a huge gift.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Auburninbham said:

I didn't say that about bo.  

Ok. You can either explain your thoughts or not. Either way I don't care because it doesn't make any sense

3 minutes ago, boisnumber1 said:

I honestly would have liked to have seen the botched review of the drop by Shenker been correctly called - and then we scored. Not to take away from the plays TJ made, but without that SEC ref help, do we score? My gut says probably, but I wish I knew. That was a huge gift.

“botched review”? That was clearly a catch…..just my orange and blue opinion.

14 minutes ago, Hank2020 said:

Don't know if you watched the game or not but the arm talent is leaps ahead. TJ cam actually move and throw an accurate ball. And even his side's misses were not bad, they were right there. A cold QB who hasn't been playing and haven't had the reps....you would expect an inch or two off. Bo is sailing the ball where guys can't even make a play.

Lastly he was calm. His plays broke down and he still kept his head up and delivered the ball. The thing was it was just a half. But this half he was much better than Bo. This half

12 minutes ago, Auburninbham said:

There's no way in hell he makes any of those plays. No way

1 minute ago, SaltyTiger said:

“botched review”? That was clearly a catch…..just my orange and blue opinion.

That ball clearly hit the ground 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Tiger Refuge said:

Can you show me where anyone said Finley “set the world on fire”? Serious question.

And the savior complex is just as bad as the “yeah, but…” complex. 

It hurts some people because to be real they said it was laughable that anything like yesterday would happen. They said it was laughable to think there wasnt a huge gap between the two QB's

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Auburninbham said:

welcome to the board where often what you say will be over analyzed.

4 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Don't know if you watched the game or not but the arm talent is leaps ahead. TJ cam actually move and throw an accurate ball. And even his side's misses were not bad, they were right there. A cold QB who hasn't been playing and haven't had the reps....you would expect an inch or two off. Bo is sailing the ball where guys can't even make a play.

Lastly he was calm. His plays broke down and he still kept his head up and delivered the ball. The thing was it was just a half. But this half he was much better than Bo. This half

He was no better than Bo in efficiency ( this is the stat we have been using for months now to show Bo’s need to progress ( which I agreed with BtW). He missed badly some deep balls (diving WR could not touch). He looked frantic in the pocket ( not calm). Yes I did watch the game, just didn’t have my TJ glasses on. Yes he did make some great non scripted plays and yes some of his passes were carachavle thank goodness. I to completely agreed with the change and definitely agree that he should be our starter next week. I also believe whoever starts should have a very short rope tied to them,

Lots of praise for a guy performing against a terrible opponent. I thought we didn't like to do that?

He had some good throws and missed some wide open WRs. Hopefully that's just a timing thing. The Kobe miss on 3rd down especially bad. He didn't really do much until that last drive.

Everyone knew his arm was elite and that didn't disappoint. We saw that during the open sessions this fall.

I hope he gets all the reps with the 1s this week and Harsin commits to all the "changes" he had to do in game to find something that worked.

Hopefully he's our starter and lights LSU on fire.

• Like 1