QB1 TJ Finley!

tgrogan21

I’m super stoked that TJ came in and delivered for sure, happy for him and for us. Having said that, I can’t help but feel there’s a reason he’s not starting AGAINST us next week for LSU and that reason isn’t good. Although he was a freshman last year he still had lots of issues and he felt the need to transfer. So yeah the “so did Cam” thing could be said but Cam’s transfer was not performance based. I think all the love TJ is getting will turn to something else once he gets enough reps and his weaknesses come back up. I’m not defending the change at all, I would absolutely start TJ next week and go from there, I just don’t think he’s been sitting on the bench waiting to come in and be Cam 2.0. I agree with others and would love to see what we’ve got with DD. I think he’s the future if we handle it smart.  

1 minute ago, Hank2020 said:

He was no better than Bo in efficiency ( this is the stat we have been using for months now to show Bo’s need to progress ( which I agreed with BtW). He missed badly some deep balls (diving WR could not touch). He looked frantic in the pocket ( not calm). Yes I did watch the game, just didn’t have my TJ glasses on. Yes he did make some great non scripted plays and yes some of his passes were carachavle thank goodness. I to completely agreed with the change and definitely agree that he should be our starter next week. I also believe whoever starts should have a very short rope tied to them,

He didn't look frantic at all and he didn't miss any throws badly the one the guy dove for hit his hand, the thing that made that pass difficult was the angle of the pass. If nothing else you have the pass that won the game was the exact same pass that Bo missed twice earlier. But yeah he was no better

1 hour ago, AU9377 said:

This roster was not in need of flipping.  If that was the case, we would have been slaughtered at PSU last week, especially with the horrendous play calls.  In 2019 (we played no ooc teams in 2020) we played Oregon, Kent State, Tulane and Samford, winning all 4 games.  Ga State is not remarkably better than any of those teams.

I hope TJ sets the world on fire.  However, the last time I saw a game that he started was a beat down in Auburn.  He will have to play much better because, as he should know, LSU is not Ga State.

bo is a five star athlete and a three star qb and until he improves nothing will change my mind. teams have him figured out and it was beginning to hurt our running game.

2 minutes ago, NoALtiger said:

. I think all the love TJ is getting will turn to something else once he gets enough reps and his weaknesses come back up.  

Everyone will start screaming for DD if Finley struggles at LSU.

And rightfully so. People should want a QB that can throw the same way you want a kicker that can kick, a wr that can catch, a linebacker that can tackle. They all do much more but that central function needs to be sound.

I don't see why you are all so sad, I mean actually I do but you shouldn't be. This means now every position on the team is performance based. There's no more entitlement and just because. You either do the job or we'll find somebody who can. That's fantastic! The best players will play. I'm ecstatic

• Like 4

2 hours ago, AUDevil said:

Jay Tate was talking on the Brain Drain that he’s not yet a good practice player so he hasn’t built up trust with the staff yet.  They recognize he’s a gamer, but not doing all the little things in practice to establish confidence.

Also, I think there’s a good chance Bo starts in BR…don’t know that we want to throw Finley into that environment, with all the personal emotion and history.  Could be a disaster that hinders his development.  I think Bo totally loses the job some time in the Georgia game.

I'm not arguing to play DD right now.  Just saying I think he's our best QB over the long term.

As for Finley, if there's one place I would start him on the road, its LSU.  Motivated and played games there before (yes he was the home team).  He has already played at Auburn and at A&M as a starter.  Its not new to him.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, cole256 said:

And rightfully so. People should want a QB that can throw

Sure. 

4 minutes ago, cole256 said:

I don't see why you are all so sad,

I don't see anyone that's sad, just stating some observations wrt Finley's play. Critiquing a QBs play isn't emotions and can be independent of Bo

6 minutes ago, cole256 said:

And rightfully so. People should want a QB that can throw the same way you want a kicker that can kick, a wr that can catch, a linebacker that can tackle. They all do much more but that central function needs to be sound.

I don't see why you are all so sad, I mean actually I do but you shouldn't be. This means now every position on the team is performance based. There's no more entitlement and just because. You either do the job or we'll find somebody who can. That's fantastic! The best players will play. I'm ecstatic

so tell me why we are sad?

14 hours ago, Barnacle said:

We have a long way to go. I'll be curious to see if we end up playing Davis at some point. I'm afraid TJ's lack of mobility will become a liability behind this line. 

Coincidentally his mobility is what won the game. He has lost weight since he played at LSU 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Brad_ATX said:

I'm not arguing to play DD right now.  Just saying I think he's our best QB over the long term.

As for Finley, if there's one place I would start him on the road, its LSU.  Motivated and played games there before (yes he was the home team).  He has already played at Auburn and at A&M as a starter.  Its not new to him.

I think Finley will eventually be a really really good QB, hopefully it's this year. I think he's the best QB from a pure talent standpoint on our roster.

I don't think DD will ever play meaningful minutes for Auburn. 

1 minute ago, cole256 said:

Don't start, I'll go tell the mods!

You might get in trouble for posting too much

Edited by W.E.D

18 minutes ago, NoALtiger said:

I’m super stoked that TJ came in and delivered for sure, happy for him and for us. Having said that, I can’t help but feel there’s a reason he’s not starting AGAINST us next week for LSU and that reason isn’t good. Although he was a freshman last year he still had lots of issues and he felt the need to transfer. So yeah the “so did Cam” thing could be said but Cam’s transfer was not performance based. I think all the love TJ is getting will turn to something else once he gets enough reps and his weaknesses come back up. I’m not defending the change at all, I would absolutely start TJ next week and go from there, I just don’t think he’s been sitting on the bench waiting to come in and be Cam 2.0. I agree with others and would love to see what we’ve got with DD. I think he’s the future if we handle it smart.  

So let me give you two recent examples of guys who didn't play at earlier schools based on "performance":

Joe Burrow & Justin Fields

Sometimes coaches on a staff miss in their evaluations or simply make the wrong decision.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, W.E.D said:

Sure. 

I don't see anyone that's sad, just stating some observations wrt Finley's play. Critiquing a QBs play isn't emotions and can be independent of Bo

Well coincidentally the people who were super aggressive to the people that have critique to Bo are the same people who can't give any kudos to Finley....and are agitated wanting to fight today......

1 minute ago, W.E.D said:

I think Finley will eventually be a really really good QB, hopefully it's this year. I think he's the best QB from a pure talent standpoint on our roster.

I don't think DD will ever play meaningful minutes for Auburn. 

Oh Finley has all the tools in the world.  As I've said, there's a reason Texas, PSU, and Bama were all after him in the portal.

2 minutes ago, AuburnTiger4Life said:

Coincidentally his mobility is what won the game. He has lost weight since he played at LSU 

He's definitely not as nimble as Nix, but I think his immobility is a but over stated. He's not a statue

Just now, cole256 said:

Don't start, I'll go tell the mods!

you hunt down people you think you can belittle and it is a bad look. your look at me i am so much smarter is a drag. especially when you treat others bad in your snarky little comments. and trust me i do not have to tell the mods sh*t. they pay close attention to you. you have had to back up twice that i know of on here because you keep wanting to pick fights. you are not there yet but you have gotten a little better. and for the record i saw through your tj post to me which by the way you never finished because i did not give you the answer you wanted. you think you are the football whisperer but i think you are a jackass.

• Like 1

I do think TJ will be yanked if he doesn’t perform well(if he starts)

Bo should be ready to go.

Maybe Bo will elevate his play because of the benching.  
I don’t think one is significantly better than the other.
It’s all up in the air at this point.

It really looks like we will struggle the rest of the year no matter who the QB is.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Well coincidentally the people who were super aggressive to the people that have critique to Bo are the same people who can't give any kudos to Finley....and are agitated wanting to fight today......

and again you would be wrong. you start most of the crap and i see it every single day or very close. but keep on living in that dream world.

Just now, aubiefifty said:

you hunt down people you think you can belittle and it is a bad look. your look at me i am so much smarter is a drag. especially when you treat others bad in your snarky little comments. and trust me i do not have to tell the mods sh*t. they pay close attention to you. you have had to back up twice that i know of on here because you keep wanting to pick fights. you are not there yet but you have gotten a little better. and for the record i saw through your tj post to me which by the way you never finished because i did not give you the answer you wanted. you think you are the football whisperer but i think you are a jackass.

You are hurt it's ok. As far as your back up stuff, that's like your third time mentioning it and I have no idea what you are talking about. I'm just saying that so if you feel the need to say it again you don't have to. I don't know wtf you are saying. 

It's funny you are never around when I'm getting belittled but you are always hurt when I'm right. That makes me smile

Just now, aubiefifty said:

and again you would be wrong. you start most of the crap and i see it every single day or very close. but keep on living in that dream world.

You have any proof of me being wrong? You don't? Oh ok. You are angry about something though. I wonder

8 minutes ago, AuburnTiger4Life said:

Still didn't engender a ton of confidence. That's a sack against better competition. But it wasn't here, and he made a great play out of it. I'm still wait and see on TJ. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Hank2020 said:

He was no better than Bo in efficiency ( this is the stat we have been using for months now to show Bo’s need to progress ( which I agreed with BtW). He missed badly some deep balls (diving WR could not touch). He looked frantic in the pocket ( not calm). Yes I did watch the game, just didn’t have my TJ glasses on. Yes he did make some great non scripted plays and yes some of his passes were carachavle thank goodness. I to completely agreed with the change and definitely agree that he should be our starter next week. I also believe whoever starts should have a very short rope tied to them,

I think you and Cole both said things that were correct..he Cole, does have a much better arm; but yes Hank he only netted 56% on his passes, etc.....while I think Finley should get the nod this next week; frankly I don't think it will matter if we keep scheming this way and trying to throw as much as we are. 

We threw 43 damn times...and all backs combined only ran 35 times...are you friggin kidding me?  Niether QB is a high %age passer.  They have not been (in high school) and will not suddenly become one next week; or next month or in November.  They are below avg accurate passers.  56% puts them outside the top 80 D1 QB's in comp %.  That is what Bo's 3 years say and Finley's 1+ year says. 

Our problem is we fundamentally are not scheming and playing to the talent we have.  Tank and Jarquez had a combined 28 carries....holy hell; they should have 28 carries each.  Throw in Shivers...we can run the ball...RUN THE DAMN BALL 1st and foremost...throw 20 times a game at most...