Things I Think I Saw....AU vs aTm......

JMR

I'm afraid our lack of talent along the OL  will cause the likes of Bigsby and Hunter to say adios before their eligibility is up. It will also cause game changers on offense to look elsewhere.

• Sad 1

11 hours ago, japantiger said:

There were three things that stuck out to me in the game:

• Game planning was different than the last several games.  Nix only ran 2 times that I can remember on designed runs.  Not sure if they saw something A&M was doing to shut him down; or they just thought not using Nix's legs was the way to go for this game.  It didn't make sense...especially given that the overall running game struggled.  Nix should have had his ~10 run like in the last games; outside, draws, etc.  I think he had one good gain on a draw and one 1 yard gain trying to get outside.  Either way; what had been a big part of a resurgent offense was not used.
  • Tendancies?  It just looked like A&M was everywhere when they needed to be on defense.  Either they have the best LB and outside rushers at identifying screens; or they new Auburn was going the screen the 3 times they tried it and just smothered the receiver and the QB.  They hit Hunter as soon as he got the ball everytime he was in the game...I have to believe they saw something(s) in their prep and Elko's defense was there waiting for plays.
  • A&M has had an issue with keeping containment when pressuring the QB.  They did not this week.  They never allowed Nix outside and the LB's and edge rushers did an outstanding job of keeping Auburn bottled up.  Wherever he went, folks were there to bottle him up.  They just generally got pressure and push and didn't give much room to roam.  I thought Nix did reasonably well not bailing on the pocket; but no matter what; they just didn't get folks open.  The sack on the 1st possession was a cover sack.  

The stadium was LOUD.  There was not much orange there.  109k making noise had a lot to do with what was happening.  A&M was better prepared and had Nix's formula.  Getting pressure on him early and not letting him get rolling was key.  When he gets rolling he can be tough as we have seen the last few weeks.  He never had that chance this week.  

Don't think for a second State, USCe and bama won't try to do the same thing to Auburn's offense.

• Like 1

Maybe I’m old school but when their D line is whipping your O line I don’t think there a whole lot you can do offensively to overcome that.  

• Like 1

Thanks @JMR

There's no doubt that Elko had a great plan and had his boys ready to execute it. 

I thought we went away from running the ball out of 12 or 13 personnel too early. Another gripe of mine is using the conventional drop back passing game in the redzone. We're not good at executing it. We're best when we run the ball in the redzone or at least show the threat. Mix in the play-action quick hitters, bootlegs, or RPOs, but please no more straight drop backs.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, ValleyTiger said:

Thanks @JMR

There's no doubt that Elko had a great plan and had his boys ready to execute it. 

I thought we went away from running the ball out of 12 or 13 personnel too early. Another gripe of mine is using the conventional drop back passing game in the redzone. We're not good at executing it. We're best when we run the ball in the redzone or at least show the threat. Mix in the play-action quick hitters, bootlegs, or RPOs, but please no more straight drop backs.

KInd of agree with this assessment, but mainly bc I still go back to my opinion that Bo just doesn't think like a pocket passer going through his progressions, and understanding the defense enough, especially in the RZ, like you mentioned.

I also think, though, that really good defenses like TaM, are forcing us to use the drop back plays ,bc they KNOW our strength is running the ball when we can, and the RPO where Bo fakes and runs it outside. TaM had a spy, especially in the RZ, and Bobo could see that they could not execute the RPOs successfully, so we were forced to run either play action or pocket throws. The problem with that is we don't have a #1 WR or a goto guy. Our best options, as you can see by the number of catches has been our TEs. But in the RZ the D knows that too.

Lastly, I hope Bobo realizes that Bo cannot throw the fade pass with any touch or accuracy. 

• Like 1

On 11/8/2021 at 6:58 PM, japantiger said:

We lost to GA and TAMU; the #1 and #2 defenses in the nation.  Their defensive talent was better than our offensive talent.  It's not much more complicated. 

I think we went backwards on scheming for the game (Nix not running, etc.); but this exposed the overall gap in OL talent, Receiver talent and yes, QB.  I didn't really have a beef with not putting the #2 QB in.  Not sure Finley could have been more effective against that kind of pressure and lack of separation.  There is a limit to how much any coaching group will be able to do with this talent.  

A&M's OL  (and their WR group) has gotten consistently better this year; they started poorly; their OL is starting 2 freshmen and they are playing better than the 5th year TN transfer on their line (the one that committed the two holding penalties against Auburn).  Their Freshman OL talent is better than ours and better than the transfer they brought in.  We need better talent; and that takes time.  Recruiting is everything.

I think TJ could/would have improved the running game for us. But the main thing is CBH needs to be quick with the hook and let Bo sit a series and understand he has to follow the plan that Bobo sets. We saw how much better Bo played after being pulled earlier in the year. If there is no accountability then players are not going to follow the plan. Same goes for every position. Sitting players after a mistake should be the norm. I promise it will get their attention. 

• Like 1

On 11/10/2021 at 9:13 AM, steeleagle said:

KInd of agree with this assessment, but mainly bc I still go back to my opinion that Bo just doesn't think like a pocket passer going through his progressions, and understanding the defense enough, especially in the RZ, like you mentioned.

I also think, though, that really good defenses like TaM, are forcing us to use the drop back plays ,bc they KNOW our strength is running the ball when we can, and the RPO where Bo fakes and runs it outside. TaM had a spy, especially in the RZ, and Bobo could see that they could not execute the RPOs successfully, so we were forced to run either play action or pocket throws. The problem with that is we don't have a #1 WR or a goto guy. Our best options, as you can see by the number of catches has been our TEs. But in the RZ the D knows that too.

Lastly, I hope Bobo realizes that Bo cannot throw the fade pass with any touch or accuracy. 

You're right aTm wasn't letting Bo get loose on the perimeter running. Those aren't the type of RPOs I'm pining for.

There's a ton more diversity to the RPO game than what we've shown. It's a simpler read for the QB whether it's a pre-snap design based on a defender's leverage or numbers OR a post snap decision reading the conflict defender's movement. Bo is good on those and with the quicker decision necessary closer to the goal line that's why I'd rather see those. 

You're right to an extent about the fade. The pass catchers have plenty of culpability in why they aren't successful, too. Either way, I don't like the fades to the endzone anyway.

13 hours ago, Eagle Eye 7 said:

I think TJ could/would have improved the running game for us. But the main thing is CBH needs to be quick with the hook and let Bo sit a series and understand he has to follow the plan that Bobo sets. We saw how much better Bo played after being pulled earlier in the year. If there is no accountability then players are not going to follow the plan. Same goes for every position. Sitting players after a mistake should be the norm. I promise it will get their attention. 

That's possible (improve the running game).  Either way; I see no harm in letting him set a series or two even if the offense doesn't get better with TJ in.  Sitting out and watching with a different set of eyes can be a good thing.  

• Like 2

On 11/8/2021 at 8:23 AM, homersapien said:

Our poor run blocking really stood out to me, especially compared to TAM's run blocking.

It seems that the first contact on our backs is usually right at the line of scrimmage.  There's rarely even a small crease. Our backs have to work extremely hard to get any positive yardage on their carries, while TAM backs had enough of a crease or hole to get at least 4 yards before contact.

And if our running game struggles, the entire offense struggles.

Late post here.. been out of town. AGREED!! what I see and each back is different is that with TB there are times when he starts the hip/hop step at the LOS 

and tries to break wide, put the pursuit is already in position to make the play, instead of just hitting straight north/south for 7 to 8 yards. Instead ending up with

1/2 or maybe 3 yards. All 3 have had this tendency..

Thank you sir. Your threads here, are quite refreshing, instead of the continual cut-and-paste articles, from sites we already have access to. I think there are about 10-12 on the page right now. 

Edited by Farmer Brown
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Farmer Brown said:

Thank you sir. Your threads here, are quite refreshing, instead of the continual cut-and-paste articles, from sites we already have access to. I think there are about 10-12 on the page right now. 

I take that back. There are 15. 

On 11/8/2021 at 8:42 AM, bigbird said:

Completely.

Heck if we just go up 6-3 instead of missing the fg, we put all the pressure in the world on TAMU. That alone changes the calls and outcome.

That was a huge miss.  I think it changed our play calling after A&M made there’s and caused our O to press more than necessary.