Simple Question

oracle79

You're down by 15 late in the game. You score. Now you're down by 9. So you need 2 scores to win right? You kick the xp and now you need 1 score to tie right? You go for 2 and make it, now you need 1 score to tie with xp or win with 2 pt right? You go for 2 and don't succeed, and now you still need 2 scores to win right? WHY IN THE HELL WOULD YOU GO FOR 2 POINTS? YOU DON'T CONVERT AND YOU BASICALLY HAVE JUST LOST THE DAMN GAME! 

Tell me I'm missing something here?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Love 1

This was the worst thing out of a lot of bad things .  Auburn would have still had a chance late if not for this.  100% a Harsin call too.  That and the fake punt were not great.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, oracle79 said:

You're down by 15 late in the game. You score. Now you're down by 9. So you need 2 scores to win right? You kick the xp and now you need 1 score to tie right? You go for 2 and make it, now you need 1 score to tie with xp or win with 2 pt right? You go for 2 and don't succeed, and now you still need 2 scores to win right? WHY IN THE HELL WOULD YOU GO FOR 2 POINTS? YOU DON'T CONVERT AND YOU BASICALLY HAVE JUST LOST THE DAMN GAME! 

Don't roll out the QB who has an ankle injury. Seems pretty damn obvious to me.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

This was the worst thing out of a lot of bad things .  Auburn would have still had a chance late if not for this.  100% a Harsin call too.  That and the fake punt were not great.

This.  It's some of the little things like this that he's doing or not doing that's starting to become noticeable and concerning.  His sideline demeanor has me concerned also.  We shall see I suppose.

This is less of an issue than I think people are making it into. Yes, conventional wisdom is you put off the 2 point try until your second touchdown. 

But remember, we had all 3 timeouts and 3:30+ to go. I think the thought was to go for it now and see how many possessions we'd need down the road. If we GOT the two, we could have kicked it deep. If we didn't (which is what happened) we knew we needed two more possessions. It made the onside kick decision for us, basically. 

Not saying I necessarily agree with it, but there's some logic to it. 

Edited by AUght2win
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

This is less of an issue than I think people are making it into. Yes, conventional wisdom is you put off the 2 point try until your second touchdown. 

But remember, we had all 3 timeouts and 3:30+ to go. I think the thought was to go for it now and see how many possessions we'd need down the road. If we GOT the two, we could have kicked it deep. If we didn't (which is what happened) we knew we needed two more possessions. It made the onside kick decision for us, basically. 

Not saying I necessarily agree with it, but there's some logic to it. 

The timeouts and time left are exactly why you kick the extra point.

Missing the 2 pt conversion forced our hand into an onside kick.  Take the point and we can then kick the ball deep and potentially get field position for a final drive.

Instead we were forced to piss away time outs while conceding about 30-40 yards of the field to MSU.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

The fake punt bothered me more.  We were in a one score game with plenty of time left.  Could have pinned them deep.  Instead we gave MSU a short field that they scored on to go up 15.

• Like 2

This was 100% lack of faith in the defense. He knew he would need to go for two at some point, and that there would be only onsides kicks from now on. Why wait to run the two? The only reason not to go for two is so you could kick it deep and make it a "one score game." But that assumes your defense can make a stop. But lets say you so make the stop. And then score. Now, if you miss, because you kicked it deep instead of onsides before, you have less time to work with. Almost certainly not enough. 

I liked the call.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Dislike 2

Go for it now or go for it later…it’s the same amount of points. Missing it early at least let’s you know what you’re up against with more time on the clock. 

Waiting doesn’t make the 2 pt conversion easier.

Edited by AUDevil
  • Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Facepalm 1

44 minutes ago, oracle79 said:

You need a 2pt conversion no matter what, right?

It doesn't matter which TD he does it on. If any miss he'll need another score. This way you have more time to plan

• Facepalm 1

You are 9 points down:

* Kick the XP and you're 8 pts down, 1 possession needed to tie, you can kick deep on the KO.

* Go for 2 but unsuccessful and you're 9 pts down, 2 possessions now needed, you have to go for an onside kick to get the extra possession.

Kicking the XP is the right decision.

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

Go for it now or go for it later…it’s the same amount of points. Missing it early at least let’s you know what you’re up against with more time on the clock. 

Right. It sound logic. It's not "analytics" which has been really bastardized by many ppl

1 minute ago, IronMan70 said:

But if you kick the XP, you don't have to go for an onside kick to get another possession, you can kick the ball deep. That makes a huge difference. 

So you take the XP, then score a TD and miss the 2pt conversion with no time left and lose the game.

You don't want time on the clock to understand what you're facing??

Edited by W.E.D
  • Like 2
  • Facepalm 1

Just now, tigers23 said:

Analytics is a losing way to play football

Lol my above point proven

Edited by W.E.D

14 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

The timeouts and time left are exactly why you kick the extra point.

Missing the 2 pt conversion forced our hand into an onside kick.  Take the point and we can then kick the ball deep and potentially get field position for a final drive.

Instead we were forced to piss away time outs while conceding about 30-40 yards of the field to MSU.

I think I disagree in this specific circumstance. The two point conversion has to happen sooner or later. With that much time left, it's more advantageous to go ahead so you'll know how to play the final 3:30. Now if it's 50 seconds left with no timeouts, yes you kick to preserve hope. But with 3:30 and all timeouts, you have hope even if you don't get it.

Then again, it would have been fine to kick, and I might have were I CBH. I'm just saying I see the logic with that much time left and all your timeouts. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

6 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

You need a 2pt conversion no matter what, right?

It doesn't matter which TD he does it on. If any miss he'll need another score. This way you have more time to plan

But if you kick the XP, you don't have to go for an onside kick to get another possession. You can kick the ball deep with 3:30 to go and 3 TOs. That makes a huge difference. 

Just now, IronMan70 said:

But if you kick the XP, you don't have to go for an onside kick to get another possession. You can kick the ball deep with 3:30 to go and 3 TOs. That makes a huge difference. 

But that's the point. 

Think of it like this. The two point try exists in a vacuum. We either are, or aren't, going to convert, regardless of when it's attempted. 

Wouldn't you rather know sooner, so you can play the final 3:30 strategically?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

So you take the XP, then score a TD and miss the 2pt conversion with no time left and lose the game.

You don't want time on the clock to understand what you're facing??

Down two scores with 3:37 left on the clock means game over. That's what you're facing. One xp plus a two point conversion at the end of the game is easier than two successful onside kicks.