The Supreme Court is On a Religious Crusade

CoffeeTiger

And that case doesn't sound very tough to me. 

From your source:

".....But because the town does not have a high school, they contend the state should pay for their daughter's tuition at Bangor Christian, a school that advertises itself as "biblically based," with religion "integrated through all content areas."

Amy Carson explains that "they have Bible class every morning. It's the first class of the day and Thursday is chapel day. Those are not things that are optional for the kids to choose ... If you send your kids there, that's what they learn."

...."Bindas, the lawyer for the families, does not deny that the schools at the center of this case are religious. "This case is about whether the U.S. Constitution allows a state to bar a parent's choice of school simply because the school is religious," he contends. "We believe that parents should be free and trusted to choose the schools that are best for their kids."

Nonsense.  Any parent in this country can send their child to any school they want. 

What this case is about is should the state government (by taxing all the people of that state) fund a clearly sectarian, religious-based education. This has been historically determined to violate the establishment clause  of the Constitution.

If these parents want taxpayer funding they should simply drop the compulsory religious indoctrination from their curriculum.

And just as Coffee alluded, had this been about the taxpayers supporting a Muslim madrassa, the case would be a non-starter.  We'll see if the SCOTUS demonstrates an impartial interpretation of the law.  I have my doubts.

Edited by homersapien
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, homersapien said:

And that case doesn't sound very tough to me. 

From your source:

".....But because the town does not have a high school, they contend the state should pay for their daughter's tuition at Bangor Christian, a school that advertises itself as "biblically based," with religion "integrated through all content areas."

Amy Carson explains that "they have Bible class every morning. It's the first class of the day and Thursday is chapel day. Those are not things that are optional for the kids to choose ... If you send your kids there, that's what they learn."

...."Bindas, the lawyer for the families, does not deny that the schools at the center of this case are religious. "This case is about whether the U.S. Constitution allows a state to bar a parent's choice of school simply because the school is religious," he contends. "We believe that parents should be free and trusted to choose the schools that are best for their kids."

Nonsense.  Any parent in this country can send their child to any school they want. 

What this case is about is should the state government (by taxing all the people of that state) fund a clearly sectarian, religious-based education. This has been historically determined to violate the establishment clause  of the Constitution.

If these parents want taxpayer funding they should simply drop the compulsory religious indoctrination from their curriculum.

And just as Coffee alluded, had this been about the taxpayers supporting a Muslim madrassa, the case would be a non-starter.  We'll see if the SCOTUS demonstrates an impartial interpretation of the law.  I have my doubts.

“These parents” have not asked for any taxpayer support until no public schools available. Understand “ what Coffee alluded to and answered him. I appreciate your opinion.

Edited by SaltyTiger

15 hours ago, SaltyTiger said:

“These parents” have not asked for any taxpayer support until no public schools available. Understand “ what Coffee alluded to and answered him. I appreciate your opinion.

And I don't think constitutionally or ethically the government should provide the funds for religious education no matter the situation. Maybe provide money to assist in transportation to a public school farther out, or provide assistance to help with home schooling.  

I appreciate that you'd support government funded Islamic education for American children as long as that was the only school in their area, but I don't think that's a constitutional reason to do so. 

If you live out in the wilderness then you should expect to have some inconveniences and harder access to some services and situations than what you would if you lived in a higher populated area. 

Edited by CoffeeTiger
  • Like 1