Auburn and Ex-Coaches

AUght2win

It's always bothered me how Auburn has basically ex-communicated all modern former head coaches outside Pat Dye. It makes sense to keep a former coach away from the program for maybe 4 or 5 years if he was let go. But not permanently unless he betrayed or scandalized the school (ex: Kiffin and Pruitt at Tennessee). 

I think things got messed up with Bowden's scandal followed by Tuberville's beef with Dye. Lots of hard feelings and pettiness. Add a Dye disciple running the AD for so long, and suddenly all other coaches were intentionally erased from memory or association.

Coaches are such huge aspects of a program's history. It's a special position. We've only had 8 of them in the last 70 years. They are synonymous with entire eras, and helped steer Auburn to where we are today.

I'm not saying everybody needs a statue. But each coach since Barfield has had either a perfect season, a national title, a national title appearance, or an SEC title. Even Barfield deserves more honor than he's given. And while it's too soon for Gus to return, he deserves recognition too. I hope he can come back in 2023 for the 10 year anniversary.

I just wish those guys could be recognized at games more, be in the building more, and be more celebrated by the program more. I don't know if anybody else feels similarly. 

• Like 4
  • Love 1

Gus will have his day at some point. Gene, too. 

With Tuberville, there are other ... issues. I will leave it at that, much to the delight of the board. 

• Like 5
  • Facepalm 1

3 minutes ago, cbo said:

With Tuberville, there are other ... issues. I will leave it at that, much to the delight of the board. 

As much as I hate politicians (of all shapes and sizes and affiliations) I’ll always love Tubs. He had the vision that football was changing and Auburn needed to get on board with the new offenses. 

2004 Auburn Tigers still my favorite team of all time. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

A coach who extorts a $50 million contract out of AU or promises to leave for an opponent should be written off the "famed coaches" list.  He got what he wanted, but AU didn't.....for that $50 million contract.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Facepalm 2

Politics aside, I thought Tubs was fairly well received around Auburn. Didn't he maintain residence on Lake Martin?

Chiz stayed in town if I'm not mistaken as well. Also has been honored a couple times lately.

Gus will one day be remembered fondly, but some time will have to pass. Good man who brought some good memories, but it'll be a little while for both sides to come around. 

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, cbo said:

I agree....

• Like 1

Well, this happened last season for Chizik: 

I'm also pretty sure they did something this year for the 2010 team as well and Chizik was there.

EDIT: Found it: https://auburntigers.com/news/2021/12/6/football-we-over-me-2010-auburn-national-champs-reunite.aspx

Edited by mah0020
  • Like 3
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, AUght2win said:

I just wish those guys could be recognized at games more, be in the building more, and be more celebrated by the program more. I don't know if anybody else feels similarly. 

Recognized at some point down the road, sure.  Loitering in the building more, NO.

Former coaches don't need to be visible when a new staff's trying to do their jobs.  i.e.  Steve Spurrier down the hall from Jim McElwain at UF.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, AUght2win said:

It's always bothered me how Auburn has basically ex-communicated all modern former head coaches outside Pat Dye. It makes sense to keep a former coach away from the program for maybe 4 or 5 years if he was let go. But not permanently unless he betrayed or scandalized the school (ex: Kiffin and Pruitt at Tennessee). 

I think things got messed up with Bowden's scandal followed by Tuberville's beef with Dye. Lots of hard feelings and pettiness. Add a Dye disciple running the AD for so long, and suddenly all other coaches were intentionally erased from memory or association.

Coaches are such huge aspects of a program's history. It's a special position. We've only had 8 of them in the last 70 years. They are synonymous with entire eras, and helped steer Auburn to where we are today.

I'm not saying everybody needs a statue. But each coach since Barfield has had either a perfect season, a national title, a national title appearance, or an SEC title. Even Barfield deserves more honor than he's given. And while it's too soon for Gus to return, he deserves recognition too. I hope he can come back in 2023 for the 10 year anniversary.

In just one word, nope 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Gus is still coaching, so he’s a bit different. Chiz gets his due, Tubs sort of does. 
I have no bad feeling towards any of our ex coaches, personally I would love to see the retired guys honored more. We still compete against Gus but once he’s done , he should get the respect he deserves.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, augolf1716 said:

Auburn has done about as good as any other colleges in recognizing ex coaches. Think what bammer, uga UF, LSU have done and we're no different jmo

I would say better. Elected one senator. Another in Auburn enjoying life and family. No comment on one.

• Love 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, AUDevil said:

Gus was the only one that didn’t let the program go totally off the rails.  He’ll get welcomed back in 20 years.

Agree to disagree. Tubbs left it in better shape than Gus. But Gus left it in much better shape than Chiz.

• Like 1

I'll never forget going to Glendale w my children which was a direct result of Malzahn, Cam, and Fairley (no disrespect to Gene who is also a legendary AU coach in part for that season) and later to Pasadena which was just an incredible experience that exceeded Glendale even in a loss. I think he should be remembered as a legendary AU coach w time. I agree w the og poster on this topic.

Edited by ThurstontheWelshCorgi

27 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

My response, in just five letters: idgaf.

Are you just looking for people to agree with you? Or were you putting it out to gather the opinions of others?   AFAF

44 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

Agree to disagree. Tubbs left it in better shape than Gus. But Gus left it in much better shape than Barfield and Bowden.

FIFY

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, aubaseball said:

Are you just looking for people to agree with you? Or were you putting it out to gather the opinions of others?   AFAF

I wasn't particularly looking for non-insightful smart-ass remarks. "In just one word, nope" isn't contributing much to a conversation, is it?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Elephant Tipper said:

A coach who extorts a $50 million contract out of AU or promises to leave for an opponent should be written off the "famed coaches" list.  He got what he wanted, but AU didn't.....for that $50 million contract.

That's the business. Don't hate the player, hate the game. I wanted Gus gone a few years ago but have never resented him for getting paid. I resented how bad the Auburn reps let him dupe them. 

• Like 1