Auburn and Ex-Coaches

AUght2win

1 hour ago, gctiger said:

I’m fairly certain that Tubbs has returned for a few games and been received very warmly.  

He was at the Bham Bowl game a few years back, he couldn't walk 5 feet without an autograph, selfie, or handshake. Got one of him with my then 7 YO son. 

• Like 3

Earlier this year, Tennessee was planning to bring in their head coaches from the past 15 years so that they could be celebrated. They ended up having to cancel the whole shindig because Tennessee couldn't find a plane that was large enough to accommodate so many of them.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, gctiger said:

I’m fairly certain that Tubbs has returned for a few games and been received very warmly.  

He has but I think that was mostly to watch his son Tucker who was a walk-on QB. He stayed out of the spotlight.

6 hours ago, woodford said:

As much as I hate politicians (of all shapes and sizes and affiliations) I’ll always love Tubs. He had the vision that football was changing and Auburn needed to get on board with the new offenses. 

2004 Auburn Tigers still my favorite team of all time. 

Same for me. The 2004 team is one of the best to ever play college football. Who cares about who overweight sportswriters give a trophy to. They were the national champs for anyone who saw them play. 

It's been so cool to see Jason (radio), Ronnie (radio) and Cadillac (coaching) - the big 3 of that team, all back in JHS every Saturday now. Pretty surreal, actually.

• Like 1

Crazy to think we've seen more US Presidents than Auburn coaches since 1950. It's a special position, and even for guys with less than stellar results like Barfield, they deserve to be remembered for their chapter in the story of Auburn football. 

2 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

Same for me. The 2004 team is one of the best to ever play college football. Who cares about who overweight sportswriters give a trophy to. They were the national champs for anyone who saw them play. 

It's been so cool to see Jason (radio), Ronnie (radio) and Cadillac (coaching) - the big 3 of that team, all back in JHS every Saturday now. Pretty surreal, actually.

You do know that was the BCS ? 

8 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

You do know the AP Poll was independent and Polls also factored into the BCS?

That happened once in BCS era.   And whether or not how you choose to look at it, the teams are still selected by a group of people.    At the present time it’s just a fewer number.   

For Auburn football it's a nice thought to make them all feel welcome. For me, and I know that wasn't the real question, it boils down to how each coach made me feel during their tenure. For Shug and Dye I think the stadium, field and statues definitely say all that can be said. Tubs comes in next. Gene has a NC so he gets forgiveness for 2012 because 53 years is a long time between championships. I appreciate the work the rest did but Barfield, Bowden and Gus all did things that made me glad they were gone. Because of that I just don't feel strongly about recognizing them. I enjoyed the heck out of the '93 and '13 seasons but we started taking on water two seasons after each of those years. As for Barfield, how do you not win with Cribbs, Brooks and Andrews in the backfield... unbelievable. 

Edited by gr82be
Brooks, not James 🙄
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

7 hours ago, Elephant Tipper said:

A coach who extorts a $50 million contract out of AU or promises to leave for an opponent should be written off the "famed coaches" list.  He got what he wanted, but AU didn't.....for that $50 million contract.

What about a school that is dumb enough to offer the contract?

• Like 2

Chizik was invited to the Iron Bowl this year with the championship team.  When introduced he held up the trophy a s the crowd went wild.  He was all smiles.  I think he feels at home.  Still lives in Auburn I believe too.  Most coaches come to Auburn to retire.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, AUght2win said:

That's the business. Don't hate the player, hate the game. I wanted Gus gone a few years ago but have never resented him for getting paid. I resented how bad the Auburn reps let him dupe them. 

You're putting words into my mouth.  I didn't say that I hate Gus, nor do I resent him being paid.  Gus did some very good things for AU, just not $50 million worth.  That I do resent.  He was 45-22 at the time he demanded his $50 million contract, that's a 67% win/loss average and a 1-4 bowl record which is even worse.  Who pays that kind of money for such a mediocre performance ?  That was just bad business sense.  Sexton with Malzahn's blessing extorted that money out of AU because there was a new AD and some spendthrift donors.  If your wife said, Honey, I'm leaving you for the neighbor unless you pony up the cash, even though I've been a bit of a whore with you.  Would you say, Sure honey, here's a bonus for you, just please don't leave me or would you say, Honey there's the door.  Cya !  lol  Gus should have been shown the door to Arkansas the day he demanded that raise OR we should have kept him but demoted him back to OC and hired a coach who had actually been a hc, not like the one-and-done season that Gus had at Arky State and then made Gus actually work to earn the money he was being paid.  Then, if he didn't perform, he would have ruined his own future as both a hc and OC and the onus wouldn't be on AU, instead it would have been square on his shoulders.  But now we have the reputation of being a payoff school which deserves zero respect.  Besides, where has that approach gotten us ?

Some times people just have to learn how to say NO to demands even if it means looking elsewhere when you weren't in the market to do so.  Hearing that word wakes the demanders from their own inflated praises in their heads.  AU has a bad profile now because of this hire and payoff scheme that's developed and it will attract the wrong talent.

On the other hand, I have very high hopes with Harsin.  He's been a very successful hc and I believe he knows how to say NO and move on.  He has common sense.  I look forward to many good seasons with Harsin.  My prediction is that we'll have Harsin's statue in place long before Gus'.

WDE !!!

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, AU9377 said:

What about a school that is dumb enough to offer the contract?

The donors and an inexperienced AD made the offer.  I agree with you.  Yes, you would think that successful businessmen would have declined to pay the ransom, but that rests with them.  Hopefully they got the message and won't be burned again.

WDE !!!

18 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

Chizik was invited to the Iron Bowl this year with the championship team.  When introduced he held up the trophy a s the crowd went wild.  He was all smiles.  I think he feels at home.  Still lives in Auburn I believe too.  Most coaches come to Auburn to retire.  

When the time comes, I think Gus ends up retiring in the Ozarks with a Double Bubble endorsement deal.

2 hours ago, AUght2win said:

That's the business. Don't hate the player, hate the game. I wanted Gus gone a few years ago but have never resented him for getting paid. I resented how bad the Auburn reps let him dupe them. 

I forgot to respond to this.  No one duped anyone.  The donors knew Gus' mediocre record just as well as anyone.  My guess is that they were hopeful that he could turn things around, based on his 2010 and 2013 season, but the stink just wouldn't fade away, then they had to do triage.

8 minutes ago, Elephant Tipper said:

based on his 2010 and 2013 season

There’s a guy here who still thinks he’s a good coach because of these two seasons to be fair 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Dislike 1

And no, I don’t think any of coaches outside of Pat (God rest his soul) and Gene should be remembered here. The rest of them left this place in shambles and I don’t think that should be celebrated. 

• Facepalm 2
  • Dislike 1

1 minute ago, ClaytonAU said:

And no, I don’t think any of coaches outside of Pat (God rest his soul) and Gene should be remembered here. The rest of them left this place in shambles and I don’t think that should be celebrated. 

Shug????

• Thanks 1
  • Love 1

1 minute ago, ClaytonAU said:

You actually believe that 2012 and last year were remotely similar?  From a football perspective, that is bizarre.

1 minute ago, AU9377 said:

You actually believe that 2012 and last year were remotely similar?  From a football perspective, that is bizarre.

What are you talking about 

11 hours ago, aubaseball said:

That happened once in BCS era.   And whether or not how you choose to look at it, the teams are still selected by a group of people.    At the present time it’s just a fewer number.   

is your point? You get more incoherent with each post.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ClaytonAU said:

You are having a heck of a week on this board.