Looking back

Tigerpro2a

So just wanted to get opinions on this. IF we could go back to when Harsin was first hired and was filling his staff and we were told that it was down to two guys for the OC, Mike Bobo and Austin Davis, who would you have wanted of the two. Take this years results out of it the best you can. 

I personally would have said Bobo because I think he fit the bill for exactly what we needed which was a proven QB developer and a proven recruiter in the SE. 

I am getting more excited by the minute as I learn more about Davis though. I like the idea of a young up and coming guy that we can mold into our own machine. 

Davis in a heartbeat because Bobo was way past his prime and not one teams fans have ever been excited about him being OC. New blood would have been better IMO.

• Like 1

I wasn't a fan of the Bobo hire.

If he hired a random guy from the NFL, I'd probably question that heavily too as you're going from G5 school to SEC with a really green OC. I think there are still risks this year with Davis, bur I really like the upside 

• Like 2

Well the issue with Davis for me would be.. Is he really an oc or just an oc in name only and more of a qb development coach which is what it sounds like he is. Personally, I despise Bobo as an oc but I would respect him more for having his own offense and calling his own plays. If Davis had an actual offensive scheme and was going to implement I would choose him just for the sake of something fresh and new.

Edited by ThurstontheWelshCorgi
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, ThurstontheWelshCorgi said:

Well the issue with Davis for me would be.. Is he really an oc or just an oc in name only and more of a qb development coach which is what it sounds like he is. Personally, I despise Bobo as an oc but I would respect him more for having his own offense and calling his own plays. If Davis had an actual offensive scheme and was going to implement I would choose him just for the sake of something fresh and new.

Why would that be an issue either way. I’m assuming whatever Harsin has planned, Davis understands.

Just now, Hank2020 said:

Why would that be an issue either way. I’m assuming whatever Harsin has planned, Davis understands.

It would also make sense that if he is not playcalling now will probably grow into that role. Not sure why else he would come.

2 minutes ago, Hank2020 said:

Because if he is not calling plays or implementing an offense he is borderline irrelevant and the discussion should be between Harsin or Bobo.

Now if we are talking about developing qb's which sounds like what he will be doing than it would be relevant to discuss that aspect.

Edited by ThurstontheWelshCorgi

Davis wasn’t looking for a job last year, he went from assistant QB coach to THE QB coach in Seattle.  Harsin needed a year to understand how passionate Auburn fans are about football, so Bobo was what we needed and now Davis is what we need.  It’s just the way it turned out.  Looking forward to next year.

I understand what Harsin was trying to do by hiring Bobo. Coach thought he was getting a guy who could recruit the south while the Boise guys were getting the lay of the land. Looking back with everything being equal, I think he probably makes a similar call for those same reasons. But the recruiting on the O side didn't quite turn out that way and then there were some of the questionable play calls. So on to the present, it looks like we are getting a very good coach in Davis, especially with QBs. I'm looking forward to seeing how the Harsin-Davis partnership works out for the offense.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, I_M4_AU said:

Davis wasn’t looking for a job last year, he went from assistant QB coach to THE QB coach in Seattle.  Harsin needed a year to understand how passionate Auburn fans are about football, so Bobo was what we needed and now Davis is what we need.  It’s just the way it turned out.  Looking forward to next year.

Of course Davis wasn't looking last year....I am just bringing up a fun hypothetical bc I was curious to see how many people would say now that the season has transpired that they hated the Bobo hire from the start. I agree Bobo was what we needed at the time and I would have chosen him personally, but now I am happy with Davis' potential.

• Like 2

Zero proof and you’ll never get anyone to admit it but there were certain hires I feel were “highly suggested” mainly for recruiting purposes. Neither of those hires on now on the staff.

1 hour ago, Tigerpro2a said:

Of course Davis wasn't looking last year....I am just bringing up a fun hypothetical bc I was curious to see how many people would say now that the season has transpired that they hated the Bobo hire from the start. I agree Bobo was what we needed at the time and I would have chosen him personally, but now I am happy with Davis' potential.

We’re on the same page.  I am excited to see Davis get a chance and eager to see what he can do, more in the QB development part than the play calling.  Bobo did not excite me in the QB development side of his resume. A young guy can relate to HS/College kids better especially with Davis’ background.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, woodford said:

I liked Bobo for the recruiting and QB work. Was never excited about the offense. 

I like Bobo the person just fine. 

Agree. He’s fine as a person, but living in GA as I do, they did not like or appreciate him all the years he was OC for Richt. I just don’t think he is very innovative as a play caller. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, IronMan70 said:

I understand what Harsin was trying to do by hiring Bobo. Coach thought he was getting a guy who could recruit the south while the Boise guys were getting the lay of the land. Looking back with everything being equal, I think he probably makes a similar call for those same reasons. But the recruiting on the O side didn't quite turn out that way and then there were some of the questionable play calls. So on to the present, it looks like we are getting a very good coach in Davis, especially with QBs. I'm looking forward to seeing how the Harsin-Davis partnership works out for the offense.  

Whether Bobo was truly CBH's hire or not, we will never know, but I think he was mainly hired for familiarity with the SEC and recruiting. I think CBH saw pretty quickly that he wasn't worth keeping around for either of these reasons. I like the new hire. I think AD is a HC in the making.

• Like 2

Most of the fans here were NOT Bobo fans.I did not know nearly enough, but at the time I was okay with it because I thought he would make a huge difference in recruiting, the QB play would be better (which it was) and the offense would not stagnate with CBH in control. I do think this was CBH hire but I believe it was also strongly recommended. I also believe it was clear they did not gel and now CBH understands he just needs to do it his way.

• Like 6

10 hours ago, Old fan 47 said:

Agree. He’s fine as a person, but living in GA as I do, they did not like or appreciate him all the years he was OC for Richt. I just don’t think he is very innovative as a play caller. 

I think he had some some innovative stuff, just more "traditionally" innovative. Nothing that would set the world on fire, but some new spins on the classics so to speak (unless that was all Harsin.

2 hours ago, DAG said:

Most of the fans here were NOT Bobo fans.I did not know nearly enough, but at the time I was okay with it because I thought he would make a huge difference in recruiting, the QB play would be better (which it was) and the offense would not stagnate with CBH in control. I do think this was CBH hire but I believe it was also strongly recommended. I also believe it was clear they did not gel and now CBH understands he just needs to do it his way.

THIS. I actually thought the Bobo was a great hire with all things considered because we had a 2 year incumbent starter at QB that had only regressed to that point and we needed a proven QB guy and I think Bobo did make a LOT of progress with Bo in a single season. I am also glad he is gone after this year. The two feelings are definitely not mutually exclusive. 

• Like 1

Bobo because I’ve never heard of Davis until his name popped up for the opening. I admit I don’t keep up with who the QB coach is on every NFL team. I was optimistic on the Bobo hire because of his QB history and recruiting, was optimistic since Harsin is an O guy. Didn’t work obviously. 

I thought Bobo was a solid hire because of his track record at UGA. I  am excited about Davis because of the fresh approach he brings. But there’s a distinct trend to OCs as a whole. They look a lot smarter with a Cam Newton/Nick Marshall type playing QB and Greg Robinson/Braden Smith types on the o line.