Why do other teams have success against our offense?

tigerman1186

I'm not hear to point fingers at any player or position, but asking this question....does our current offense scheme scare other teams on our schedule???? It seems we struggle to for any type of big play and in the red zone, while others don't seem to....yesterday, Houston coming out in the 4th quarter had the ball inside their 10 yard line for a 3rd and very long, and they completed a pass for the 1st...I couldn't see us do that in years....just wonder what others think???

• WarTiger changed the title to Why do other teams have success against our offense?

They were able to do because their QB had an Oline giving him tons of time to throw and then the QB made an accurate throw.  We have the ability to do neither currently.  Auburn's scheme would likely scare our opponents if we had the Oline and QB to execute it.  As of right now we don't and teams can just load the box against us to stop the run and make us one dimensional.  Further, some teams like UH that run an air raid scheme are a little special in that, they can run if they need to depending on the team but they really don't have to run.

Edited by Didba
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

The scheme is good, but it's not where Harsin wants it. He does not have his full playbook implemented because at least half was Bobo, and they had to adapt to what Bo/TJ and the other players were capable of. We didn't have Brett Rypien or Kalil Shakir on our roster. I'm expecting they will keep installing and we'll eventually get to a full Boise offense, maybe by the end of spring.

Main problem I see is our lack of ability to stretch the field. Can't make long passes, etc. That causes teams to cheat on us and puts more strain on an already average to below average line. We actually have some guys that can get separation, but they get overthrown every time. Hence why Geriner and the QB(s) we get from the portal are so huge. They must be able to hit a deep ball and the crossing routes over the middle

• Like 1

3 hours ago, au302 said:

The scheme is good, but it's not where Harsin wants it. He does not have his full playbook implemented because at least half was Bobo, and they had to adapt to what Bo/TJ and the other players were capable of. We didn't have Brett Rypien or Kalil Shakir on our roster. I'm expecting they will keep installing and we'll eventually get to a full Boise offense, maybe by the end of spring.

Main problem I see is our lack of ability to stretch the field. Can't make long passes, etc. That causes teams to cheat on us and puts more strain on an already average to below average line. We actually have some guys that can get separation, but they get overthrown every time. Hence why Geriner and the QB(s) we get from the portal are so huge. They must be able to hit a deep ball and the crossing routes over the middle

I guess I just don’t understand. When our deep routes come open ( the ones we miss), it’s not like they are not covering us deep and shutting down the short and intermediate routes. It is true that more in the box, means single coverage but many teams use that.

• Like 1

find answer by urself: Look at the AU B-ball: lots of talented coach and players.  Luckily enough we have some ball to watch.   Who hired CSP?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Sizzle said:

Mediocre OL and inaccurate QB’s. The OL mainly the problem though. Don’t know how many times it has to be said, the OL is the main problem

Pin this to the top of the forum. This 100%

Everything starts in the trenches. A talented OL make good QB's look great.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I posted this in another thread but here’s your answer

2021-1 3* guard 1 3 * tackle 
2020-2 3* guards 2 3* tackles and 1 3* transfer
2019-1 4* guard and 2 3* guards

2018-1 3* guard 1 3* tackle

this is the last 4 classes. ALL FOUR CLASSES ARE AT THE FAULT OF GUS. If you think anything else you’re an idiot 

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, woodford said:

Pin this to the top of the forum. This 100%

Everything starts in the trenches. A talented OL make good QB's look great.

To expand on that. RB’s have holes to run thru. WR’s have time to run routes/get open. Play callers look like they called a great play. EVERYBODY GETS BETTER WITH A TALENTED OLINE!!

• Love 2

27 minutes ago, TXaubie said:

To expand on that. RB’s have holes to run thru. WR’s have time to run routes/get open. Play callers look like they called a great play. EVERYBODY GETS BETTER WITH A TALENTED OLINE!!

Not sure how much accuracy that brings to an inaccurate QB. He doesn’t seem to be staring at the rushers, just missing his targets.

• Thanks 1

We have an OL that is not very good.  We don’t have a QB that cannot get the ball to an open receiver so we can’t stretch the field. They gang up on the run because they know our RBs are all we have that can beat them.  It ain’t hard to figure out.  

• Like 1

14 hours ago, bigbird said:

As it's been said, it's the OL.  We can't create any balance on O because of it.  Running inside is a joke, running outside is hit or miss, play action doesn't work because we aren't a threat to consistently run the ball, any designed drop backs more than 3 step result in busted assignments, intense pressure, or a sack. If we do manage to get time to throw, our QBs rush most of the passes and are highly erratic and inaccurate. 

All this.

Should be required reading for everyone prior to them posting.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, JMassie11 said:

I posted this in another thread but here’s your answer

2021-1 3* guard 1 3 * tackle 
2020-2 3* guards 2 3* tackles and 1 3* transfer
2019-1 4* guard and 2 3* guards

2018-1 3* guard 1 3* tackle

this is the last 4 classes. ALL FOUR CLASSES ARE AT THE FAULT OF GUS. If you think anything else you’re an idiot 

And what so far has been done to fix this problem. If the offensive line is the number 1 problem then treat it as such. Perhaps in the end we will turn out some miracle last minute portal finds. But go ahead and add 2022 to your list and tell me how year one under Harsin has improved the situation. No excuses. We all no the line is the number one problem with this team. We know Gus is responsible for that. The question is when does Harsin start to share the responsibility for the lack of talent here if the situation doesn't change. I'm not expecting a year one miracle from Harsin with recruiting but damn this has been an underwhelming recruiting area when we popping off so much talent on the other side of the ball. At some point what he does to to recruit this area will become Harsins metric for evaluation and the whole blame Gus will no longer hold water. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, shabby said:

And what so far has been done to fix this problem. If the offensive line is the number 1 problem then treat it as such. Perhaps in the end we will turn out some miracle last minute portal finds. But go ahead and add 2022 to your list and tell me how year one under Harsin has improved the situation. No excuses. We all no the line is the number one problem with this team. We know Gus is responsible for that. The question is when does Harsin start to share the responsibility for the lack of talent here if the situation doesn't change. I'm not expecting a year one miracle from Harsin with recruiting but damn this has been an underwhelming recruiting area when we popping off so much talent on the other side of the ball. At some point what he does to to recruit this area will become Harsins metric for evaluation and the whole blame Gus will no longer hold water. 

Umm last I checked February is still apart of signing day, we are trending in the right direction for some OL that will sign in February and yes the portal will also help. So to answer your question it ain't over yet Harsin is working on getting those players. 🤷 

Edited by autiger88
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, shabby said:

Well since you’re obviously not up to speed what exactly will bringing in a bunch of Freshman do to help us on the line next year? But since you asked we have one actual OT not a project already signed in the early period. As others have stated we will likely sign another HS kid and fill the rest with the portal. Common sense SHOULD tell you that in order to be successful next season we need the immediate help. Now if for some odd reason the class looks the same in 2 months you have a valid argument. Until then you don’t 

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, autiger88 said:

Umm last I checked February is still apart of signing day, we are trending in the right direction for some OL that will sign in February and yes the portal will also help. So to answer your question it ain't over yet Harsin is working on getting those players. 🤷 

I said the very same thing. Let's see if he pulls some recruits out of the portal. 

41 minutes ago, JMassie11 said:

Well since you’re obviously not up to speed what exactly will bringing in a bunch of Freshman do to help us on the line next year? But since you asked we have one actual OT not a project already signed in the early period. As others have stated we will likely sign another HS kid and fill the rest with the portal. Common sense SHOULD tell you that in order to be successful next season we need the immediate help. Now if for some odd reason the class looks the same in 2 months you have a valid argument. Until then you don’t 

That's exactly what I said. When the cycle of recruiting is done let's see what he pulls from the portal. 

Because the offensive scheme is not dynamic at all. It's very vanilla and in line with what Bobo has done for years so presumably that and the fact that there is so much film out there regarding bobo's tendencies with such a scheme that makes it easier to coach against. Sure, a top flight tall wr and a bigger stronger o line would help, some. 

Edited by ThurstontheWelshCorgi

1 hour ago, ThurstontheWelshCorgi said:

Sure, a top flight tall wr and a bigger stronger o line would help, some. 

WRONG, a bigger stronger OLine and a top flight tall WR would HELP A LOT!

A bigger stronger OLine - Would make our run game work, we have great talented backs, a few holes created by a big strong OLine and they would be awesome. 

A bigger stronger OLine - Would give our QB time in the pocket, combined with play action because the run game is working, and the QB settles down, doesn't have happy feet and makes better more accurate throws. 

A bigger stronger OLine - Which, from above, with the QB having time in the pocket, now the receivers also have time to get open and run good routes. Which makes for open receivers and a QB that is settled in the pocket without happy feet will find some of them. 

A top flight tall WR - With a big strong OLine, this is just icing on the cake. Giving the QB time in the pocket to throw good "jump balls" which this guy is going to come down with. Think red zone fade passes that actually score TD's!! 

HA, with a Big Strong OLine and a top flight tall WR we would be very close to playoff bound! I would say that's better than "help some."

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, gabo4au said:

WRONG, a bigger stronger OLine and a top flight tall WR would HELP A LOT!

A bigger stronger OLine - Would make our run game work, we have great talented backs, a few holes created by a big strong OLine and they would be awesome. 

A bigger stronger OLine - Would give our QB time in the pocket, combined with play action because the run game is working, and the QB settles down, doesn't have happy feet and makes better more accurate throws. 

A bigger stronger OLine - Which, from above, with the QB having time in the pocket, now the receivers also have time to get open and run good routes. Which makes for open receivers and a QB that is settled in the pocket without happy feet will find some of them. 

A top flight tall WR - With a big strong OLine, this is just icing on the cake. Giving the QB time in the pocket to throw good "jump balls" which this guy is going to come down with. Think red zone fade passes that actually score TD's!! 

HA, with a Big Strong OLine and a top flight tall WR we would be very close to playoff bound! I would say that's better than "help some."

It would help a lot if we had a different offensive scheme IMO -- I harken back to when bilema was at Arkansas and he went balls to the wall recruiting the biggest nastiest linemen he could and they couldn't do squat.. Now they didn't have a top receiver and there scheme was worse than ours, sure but I don't foresee us ever getting the chance to build this amazing oline and wr corp at auburn in the next two years. We have to compensate with a highly dynamic offensive coordinator and I don't know who or what that looks like right now.

Cause we are trying to fit a square peg in a round hole. Gus recruited gadget players and Harsin is having them run a “pro style “ system. It’ll take a few recruiting cycles to get the players he needs.

Look at Rich Rod trying to convert Michigan to a spread offense…. That didn’t work out. Then look how long it took to convert back to a good pro style offense. 

Edited by sevenlee36
  • Thanks 1

QB play has to at least be average.  Our OL has played well at times and at other times they have looked completely overwhelmed.  To be fair, the current staff has not attempted to scheme around any of our weaknesses.  Watching our offense the past couple months has felt like watching someone playing a video game and insisting on throwing the long ball knowing it will connect at some point.

The offensive system is fine.

It works very well in college and it works well in the NFL.

It is heavily influenced by the following coaches: Chris Peterson, Dirk Koetter, Jeff Tedford, Paul Hackett, and numerous others.

It has its roots in Bill Walsh’s West Coast offense.

If you read up on it, it is not a system where it focuses on one specific thing such as run heavy, spread, air raid, etc. (although it does have an identity based on the current players), but allows the offense to attack based on what the defense presents.

Once the players are in place and they have adequate time in the system, the offense will be very difficult to stop.

That is one reason why (in my opinion) Bono’s system did not mesh well- he was too archaic in his approach.

Here is a great article on the system:

http://smartfootball.com/gameplanning/breaking-down-boise-how-the-broncos-use-leverage-numbers-and-grass-to-gash-the-opposition#sthash.wbR62EXI.dpbs

Edited by TJRanger175

13 hours ago, weagl1 said:

We have an OL that is not very good.  We don’t have a QB that cannot get the ball to an open receiver so we can’t stretch the field. They gang up on the run because they know our RBs are all we have that can beat them.  It ain’t hard to figure out.  

Spot on