Auburn Hockey 🏒

AUBwins

Evidently we beat Alabama today 7-1 in the Iron Bowl of Hockey lol

Full game replay.  I subscribed to the channel as they seem to show live games throughout the season. 

• Like 3

On 1/22/2022 at 10:07 PM, augolf1716 said:

Who the heck is the coach for Auburn?

Funny you should ask.  Just changed coaches. I love the jerseys.  Really need to pay more attention to this team.  I didn't realize the history. I like the pic of the orange jerseys with the ballet legs on the boards beneath them lol.  

https://www.auhockey.club/post/marcel-richard-resigns-as-head-coach-of-the-auburn-tigers-hockey-club-sec-sechc

Marcel Richard resigns as Head Coach of the Auburn Tigers Hockey Club

Assistant Coach Ryan Rutz will take over as Head Coach of the team.
c1113f_af0297473c16404ba9eff4f66949884b~mv2.webp
Coach Richard rallying his players during a difficult matchup against the UGA Ice Dawgs in this year’s Border War. Image via Matt Austin, 2021.

After eight seasons serving as the Head Coach of the Auburn Ice Hockey Club, Marcel Richard has decided to resign from his position effective immediately. His resignation has been accepted by the team and he will be replaced by former Assistant Coach Ryan Rutz entering the spring semester.

Richard leaves behind a considerable legacy in Auburn. As the longest tenured coach in program history, he amassed more wins that any bench boss ever had on the Plains and led the Tigers to many firsts, including the team’s first ever SECHC Tournament appearance, first SECHC Tournament win, and first win over Alabama’s D-II ACHA program.

Prior to Richard’s arrival, Auburn had issues maintaining a full roster and was regularly at the bottom of the conference standings. Now, after a long and successful span leading the team, he feels comfortable handing things off to Assistant Coach Ryan Rutz and this current group of players.

c1113f_7040fc9e7b724bfe99884472c1d3d1d5~mv2.webp
Richard behind the bench during Auburn’s 22-3 victory over Florida State in the Macon Veterans Memorial Cup. Image via Ben Dodds, 2021.

“I believe Auburn is a top three team (in this conference),” said Richard. "We can beat teams that used to think we were an easy team to beat in the past. Other coaches and referees have noticed that we are now playing great hockey. I feel like the team is in a good spot and that Ryan can handle it moving forward.”

When asked about why he chose now to leave the game, the former Head Coach said: “We had a long break and I had some flu or something. I really took some time to think about where I am directing my time. I have family coming to visit and have missed out on so much due to my coaching commitments. (With letting Rutz take over), it's kind of like parenting and then letting your kid go make their own decisions."

As the program’s second-ever head coach, Richard helped mold much of the last decade of Auburn Hockey. When asked what his proudest moment over that time was, he responded: “Seeing the kids come in that are shy and inexperienced, to seeing them turn into leaders and confident. (Them) getting into grad school or jobs is the end goal. Auburn and hockey helps them get there."

When Richard retired from his pro hockey career in the Central Hockey League and began coaching high school games in Columbus, Ga., he never would have guessed he’d spend so many years determining the direction of a fledgling club program at his wife’s alma mater. However, doing so is well within the parameters of why he coaches at all. As he said himself, “(I’m just) trying to give back to the sport that gave me so much."

c1113f_49cf2c6a435c464a9052ecfff8c43d54~mv2.webp
Richard has coached eight classes of Auburn players, seeing the team through plenty of historic highs and painful lows.

Richard’s players had nothing but kind words for their coach as he departs to spend more time with his family. Said defenseman Jacob “JJ” Blanding: “He’s (Richard) a great guy who prioritized the overall character of his players over just the on-ice product. Marcel’s influence on Auburn Hockey is something I hope we never take for granted. We’ll miss having him on the bench and wish him the best of luck moving forward. War Damn Eagle to you, coach."

Team captain Blake Robison echoed Blanding’s sentiments, saying the following: “Coach Marcel gave lots of his time and energy to Auburn Hockey during a period when not a lot of other people were willing to do so. The program is not where it’s at today without him, and we want to thank him for that. Marcel always treated his players with respect and honesty, and I think that’s why everybody always wanted to play hard for him. We wish him and his family all the best and hope they know they’ll always be a part of the Auburn family."

With over 100 games as the head man behind the Auburn bench, Richard’s legacy is etched into every fiber of the program. His work will remain a foundational part of hockey at the school and in the greater Auburn-Opelika area for a while to come.

From the staff, fans, and players, thank you Coach, and War Eagle.

• Thanks 1
  • Love 1

10 minutes ago, SaturdayGT said:

Sheesh,...I love hockey!...Had no clue Auburn had a team! lol

I know, right?  Not only that but all the other SEC schools involved lol

• Like 2

On 1/25/2022 at 1:53 PM, SaturdayGT said:

Sheesh,...I love hockey!...Had no clue Auburn had a team! lol

Same here. I had no idea!

• 2 weeks later...

UAT won the last one 6-3.  Exhibition game though so it doesn’t hurt the playoffs.  

The SECHC Playoffs are the first weekend of March at the Huntsville Ice Sports Complex.  Should be an AUsome weekend of hockey!  I’m stuck at work but my son hopes to see y’all there.  

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

Apparently, the team is in some sort of club hockey national tournament this weekend. It's a new one and college club hockey is hard to follow with all the different leagues and divisions popping up, but good luck and War Eagle.

It's good to see this become a success after getting it started in 2010 as a senior, but never getting a chance to play before graduating.

• Like 1

They have a live stream but requires a subscription that's a bit pricey, at least for me. Referenced in the tweet thread.

That was yesterday. Playing Tampa right now. 

Hockey is a recognized NCAA sport. This is non-NCAA club hockey. Not that it is uninteresting, and it can certainly be fun to watch.

How long has Auburn had a club hockey team? I certainly never heard of it in the past.

Not certain but I do believe they have been around a lot longer than we think. I do think this tournament and organization is new this year.  They found a heck of a lot of club teams. Although SEC is represented by several schools.  I am sure has to do with Title IX or something but they could essentially start playing.  

On 1/25/2022 at 12:51 PM, AUBwins said:

I like the pic of the orange jerseys with the ballet legs on the boards beneath them lol.  

A slight shift left or right by a couple of guys would have been a hilarious pic. 

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, AUBwins said:

Not certain but I do believe they have been around a lot longer than we think. I do think this tournament and organization is new this year.  They found a heck of a lot of club teams. Although SEC is represented by several schools.  I am sure has to do with Title IX or something but they could essentially start playing.  

I've been gone from Birmingham since '14 but I do remember seeing them playing at the Pelham Ice Rink at Oak Mtn. sometime before that. I was surprised at the time myself that we had a team. My dad took me to watch the Birmingham Bulls a few times as a kid back during the old WHA (I think that was the league) days. Never watched much hockey but I could watch Auburn in a paint drying contest if it was an SEC event. 

• Like 2

I grew up in Huntsville and used to watch UAH win national championships.  I think I went to a Bulls game once.  Hockey is a fun sport to watch in person. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

Totally agree and the wife really loves it in person

And minor league hockey let's them fight until somebody falls 😆  and there is always a fight

Auburn finishes Round Robin at 2-1. I assume they lost against Tampa since they didn't post the final.  They were losing 3-1 to start 3rd.

Edited by AUBwins

On 3/11/2023 at 9:08 PM, AUBwins said:

Oh yeah club hockey has been around a long time and Auburn has had a few teams at different times dating back to the 80s at least.

College club hockey in general though isn't the easiest to follow or have very accurate rankings due to the leagues and divisions. This was a division 2 club tournament, but not ACHA division 2, which traditionally has been where the better club teams participate.

For reference, some of the recent schools to make the jump from club to NCAA D1 (like Lindenwood and Penn St) dominated ACHA D1 for multiple years.

Edited by WDEKC
  • Thanks 1

On 3/11/2023 at 8:42 PM, AURex said:

Hockey is a recognized NCAA sport. This is non-NCAA club hockey. Not that it is uninteresting, and it can certainly be fun to watch.

How long has Auburn had a club hockey team? I certainly never heard of it in the past.

This recent iteration formed as an official Auburn club in winter 2009/spring 2010 and started playing games in the 2010/11 season.

Edited by WDEKC

6 hours ago, WDEKC said:

This was a division 2 club tournament, but not ACHA division 2, which traditionally has been where the better club teams participate.

Kentucky made it to the ACHA tournament.  They just raised a bunch of funds to get to go.  Really wish SEC would just make it a recognized sport 😆 Hockey is more popular in South than people think. 

3 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

Great looking uniforms....of course

Love how we mimic the Auburn helmet like Michigan and Notre Dame do in D1 hockey. 

• Like 1