Coach Harsin Quotes on First Practice

toddc

11 hours ago, AUloggerhead said:

Yes, 4 whole days.  And it's been 2 months since Mason left AU.  Ready to accept the facts & move on, or are we going to be continually subjected to you moaning & groaning about Mason leaving the way you're still butt-hurt about the previous head coach?  Let it go, man.  

I mentioned Mason because someone was bragging on how well the defense did against UAT. That was Mason's defense and he's no longer at AU.

I was ready for a change. What I hoped for was a change for the better, not the first losing season at Auburn in eight years.

1 minute ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Do u actually miss Double Bubbles play  calls?

I miss winning more games than we lose.

Just now, NWALA Tiger said:

That wasn't my question 

I get your the President of the hate Harsin club. But which is greater , your love of Gustav or your hate for Harsin

14 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

I get your the President of the hate Harsin club. But which is greater , your love of Gustav or your hate for Harsin

I don't love Gus and I don't hate Harsin. I do think Harsin won't be as successful at Auburn as Gus was.

18 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

That wasn't my question 

That was my answer.

Geez. First time catching up with this thread in a minute. Some on here would really benefit from totally disconnecting from AU football until Harsin is fired. Just don't watch and you won't be so angry and emotional

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mikey said:

I mentioned Mason because someone was bragging on how well the defense did against UAT. That was Mason's defense and he's no longer at AU.

I was ready for a change. What I hoped for was a change for the better, not the first losing season at Auburn in eight years.

Whatever you say, Mr. President.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Mikey said:

I do think Harsin won't be as successful at Auburn as Gus was.

You think Harsin will avg more than 4-5 losses a year? His entire tenure?

4 hours ago, bigbird said:

No Bird he doesn't think it, He wants it. He cant peck his keyboard any harder without breaking his fingers when it comes to Harsin.  

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Haha 3
  • Facepalm 1

8 hours ago, bigbird said:

All indications are that he will. He's already "averaging" 7 losses. I think he'll lose another 7 next year if he gets a lucky bounce or two. He could easily lose eight if the bounces go the other way.  How long will his tenure be at that rate? Two years?

3 hours ago, Hay Field 101 said:

No Bird he doesn't think it, He wants it. He cant peck his keyboard any harder without breaking his fingers when it comes to Harsin.  

Wanting and expecting are two different things. I want Harsin to finish 15-0 next season and win a national championship. I expect 4-8 or 5-7 at best.

3 minutes ago, Mikey said:

All indications are that he will. He's already "averaging" 7 losses. I think he'll lose another 7 next year if he gets a lucky bounce or two. He could easily lose eight if the bounces go the other way.  How long will his tenure be at that rate? Two years?

Wanting and expecting are two different things. I want Harsin to finish 15-0 next season and win a national championship. I expect 4-8 or 5-7 at best.

Harsin could have easily been 9-3. Auburn DID NOT get blown out of any games except Uga. You really expected him to do better with what Gus left? A bunch of soft players who jumped ship because, allegedly, they were being treated like dogs; meaning they had to actually push themselves? Stop the cap! 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Interesting. Thanks for the reply.

• Love 1
  • Haha 1

Because first and second seasons have always been such good predictors of long term success for Auburn football coaches. 

I must admit and have often argued that Auburn has rarely had to wait long for a new coach to produce. It's typically immediate or close to it. But the counter argument I received was always, "Yeah, but look what happened next."

Well, maybe we shouldn't get emotional about the Ws and Ls in 2021. I certainly didn't. Except the IB. That sucked. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, maryland tiger said:

Harsin could have easily been 9-3. Auburn DID NOT get blown out of any games except Uga. You really expected him to do better with what Gus left? A bunch of soft players who jumped ship because, allegedly, they were being treated like dogs; meaning they had to actually push themselves? Stop the cap! 

These days player retention is a big part of a head coach's job. AU didn't retain well.

If AU could have easily been 9-3, then all credit to Gus for leaving a loaded roster? My pre-season prediction was 10-2, but that was because I expected improved coaching, a thing that didn't happen.

Those "soft players" by and large left after last season was over. Harsin had them to work with for a full cycle. Now they are gone and little has been done to replace them.

247 Sports has a listing, similar to a recruiting ranking, that shows portal results. Four SEC teams are in the top 10. Auburn is 34th. We are ahead of Georgia, but that's because UGA didn't bring in a single player from the portal. Look on the right side of the page for the portal ranking.https://247sports.com/college/auburn/Season/2022-Football/TransferPortal/?institutionkey=24098

3 minutes ago, Mikey said:

These days player retention is a big part of a head coach's job. AU didn't retain well.

If AU could have easily been 9-3, then all credit to Gus for leaving a loaded roster? My pre-season prediction was 10-2, but that was because I expected improved coaching, a thing that didn't happen.

Those "soft players" by and large left after last season was over. Harsin had them to work with for a full cycle. Now they are gone and little has been done to replace them.

247 Sports has a listing, similar to a recruiting ranking, that shows portal results. Four SEC teams are in the top 10. Auburn is 34th. We are ahead of Georgia, but that's because UGA didn't bring in a single player from the portal. Look on the right side of the page for the portal ranking.https://247sports.com/college/auburn/Season/2022-Football/TransferPortal/?institutionkey=24098

And when was the last time Gus lost 3 games or less??? Gus kept 5 losses in his glove compartment. Gus was on his way to losing 5 games(or more) once again. Stop the cap! 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, maryland tiger said:

And when was the last time Gus lost 3 games or less??? Gus kept 5 losses in his glove compartment. Gus was on his way to losing 5 games(or more) once again. Stop the cap! 

My elementary arithmetic tells me that 4.5 losses per year is fewer than seven. Were you taught differently?

Gus's winning percentage at AU was 66% AU's all time wining percentage is 64%. While we all want better, Gus was right in line with Auburn's history.

To repeat for the Nth time, it was time for a change.  BUT Gus ran a clean program for eight years, had a big hand as OC in Auburn's only national championship since 1957 and was within 13 seconds of winning another as head coach. The man deserves respect from AU fans, not the constant ragging he gets.

48 minutes ago, maryland tiger said:

A bunch of soft players who jumped ship because, allegedly, they were being treated like dogs; meaning they had to actually push themselves? Stop the cap! 

Do you think all the players that left are soft?

42 minutes ago, Mikey said:

As much as it sucks to admit, we were two blatantly awful calls away in 2020 against Arky and OM from going 4-7. Fortunately for us the refs blew it, but to act like the roster left was good is nuts. Sure, there were some good individual pieces, and no, closing out with 5 losses is not acceptable. But the depth as a whole sucked and takes a few years to fix

12 hours ago, Mikey said:

In the realm of coaches changing jobs, announcing publicly after four days means the deal was done before he ever quit the old job. But of course, you know this.

I do. Which is why I never would have quibbled over a small, insignificant detail. The only things worth quibbling over are details significant to a particular argument. But I haven’t seen you do the same thing, which is why I couldn’t help but point out the irony

• Love 1

45 minutes ago, Mikey said:

My elementary arithmetic tells me that 4.5 losses per year is fewer than seven. Were you taught differently?

Gus's winning percentage at AU was 66% AU's all time wining percentage is 64%. While we all want better, Gus was right in line with Auburn's history.

To repeat for the Nth time, it was time for a change.  BUT Gus ran a clean program for eight years, had a big hand as OC in Auburn's only national championship since 1957 and was within 13 seconds of winning another as head coach. The man deserves respect from AU fans, not the constant ragging he gets.

Harsin has had 1 year of coaching at Auburn, granted! How can you compare 1 season to Gus's 8 or 9 years of 5 loss per year? Last I checked, 4.5 is rounded up to 5 so my math is on point. There is no way you can, with common sense, believe that Harsin is going to average 7 losses a year based one 1 season. The dude won consistently at Boise and I believe he will win again, less than 5 losses a year, if given the time. Although you say it was time for a change, you are holding on to the memory of Gus. Hey, go cheer for UCF! You won't be missed here. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Mikey said:

That semi-competent offense scored 3 points per game more than was scored the previous year. That's not a significant difference, particularly considering most of the offensive playmakers returned with another year of age and experience on them.

These several other things you consider to be positives? I'm putting them in the folder that says "So what until we start winning more games than we lose".

It’s also the play calling and the scheme. Rather than having a playbook he could read from a napkin like Gus, Harsin is at least fielding a team that looks like it’s playing football.

As for your part in bold, I agree. But, there are positives to be seen and acknowledged. That’s my whole point.

• Love 1

54 minutes ago, Mikey said:

This is definitely true, and if people can’t recognize this there is an issue. And these were the issues that drove pretty much the entire fan base, including myself, to beg Gus to change some things. We wanted him to be successful for the reasons you listed, and because he was an upstanding guy. A real Auburn man. And we desperately wanted to keep him. But he never made the changes he needed to, so he’s gone. How does Harsin compare to Gus in terms of the items you just listed? Obviously some aren’t applicable, but it seems all accounts are that he is at least running a clean program. Harsin can be everything Gus was and better. He CAN be. But, this season will go a long, long way in determining that. I see positives, so I remain very hopeful. But he may crash and burn, and if he does, I’ll let you know that your instincts were correct

• Love 1

1 hour ago, cbo said:

Do you think all the players that left are soft?

The players that were asked to leave, No. The ones that left and ran to grandpa Gus, Yes! We all know Gus is as soft as baby powder and the players know it too. 

• Facepalm 1

Nathan King on 24/7 with VIP updates on Their board.

Edited by toddc

21 hours ago, maryland tiger said:

The players that were asked to leave, No. The ones that left and ran to grandpa Gus, Yes! We all know Gus is as soft as baby powder and the players know it too. 

To date, two of the 20 players who entered the portal this cycle have gone to UCF.  By your counting that leaves 18 who aren't soft and simply wanted out.

To address the continued Gus bashing, Gus took over a team that was 6-5 in 2020 (sound familiar?) and lead them to a 9-4 record that included a bowl win over SEC member Florida. That in spite of losing his #1 QB early in the season. (9-4 and a bowl win does NOT sound familiar) 6-7 and a five game losing streak, now that sounds familiar.