Coach Harsin Quotes on First Practice

toddc

1 hour ago, Mikey said:

To date, two of the 20 players who entered the portal this cycle have gone to UCF.  By your counting that leaves 18 who aren't soft and simply wanted out.

To address the continued Gus bashing, Gus took over a team that was 6-5 in 2020 (sound familiar?) and lead them to a 9-4 record that included a bowl win over SEC member Florida. That in spite of losing his #1 QB early in the season. (9-4 and a bowl win does NOT sound familiar) 6-7 and a five game losing streak, now that sounds familiar.

Malzahn at 9-4 with a bowl win doesn’t sound familiar because I don’t think he ever did that while at AU.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Hank2020 said:

Malzahn at 9-4 with a bowl win doesn’t sound familiar because I don’t think he ever did that while at AU.

Imagine hyping a team that lose to a 4-8 Navy

21 hours ago, Hank2020 said:

Auburn finishing 12-2 and 10-4 should sound familiar though, as should beating two #1 ranked teams in back to back SEC games. I give you that the 9-4 record in 2019 did not include a bowl win but the numbers should be familiar to you.

23 minutes ago, Mikey said:

It's also definitely better than 6-7.

A losing record always hurts. But Dye and Tuberville both began their AU career with one and went on to have a lot of success. I believe CBH will too. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It is time we quit the bickering. Gus had some really good teams and some very mediocre teams. Gus was a class act as a man and as a coach who represented Auburn well and who loved Auburn. The issues is as the years progressed the mediocre became the norm. There were many reasons for this fairly highly rated recruiting classes that were not well balanced (O-Line in particular). The rules changed but Gus's offense didn't. When Gus arrived his offense was one of the best it was new and teams had not figured it out plus the rules changed. In defense of Gus he also inherited anemic defensive talent. He addressed that with the assistants he hired on defensive side and we became strong there again. Gus was good for Auburn for a while but he did not evolve. Look at Saban and look how his teams have evolved offesively over the years.

Weak O-line which Harsin inherited and WR's that had not run a sophisticated Route tree and at the time he was hired a very weak recruiting class put Harsin behind the 8 ball. Passing attack improved under Harsin and pass blocking improved but run blocking was anemic which negated what should have been our strength our RB's as we had 3 good ones.

As the schedule got tougher our O-Line woe's were magnified and to be honest we made some bad decisions like going into a shell on offense after a great 1st half against Miss. State.  We also lost Bo. With a healthy Bo we probably win 2 or 3 of the games at end of the year. 

Sometimes a season is made or broken just on a few plays a miracle pass that bounced off of defender for a TD, a kick six the other side of that is in Gus last year a fumble when Bo spikes ball backward and Ref's miss it. There was another game where ref's blew it add those two losses in Gus last year and he does not have a very good year at the end.

Let's except that Gus was a good man who represented Auburn well by running a clean program, loving the school but did not evolve and it was time to go. Lets except that the team that Harsin inherited had some talent but also some weaknesses and lacked depth. Lets except that a couple coaching decisions hurt us and having Bo hurt impacted our win-loss totals. 

What I am seeing from Harsin is recognition that our recruiting staff was anemic and not on par with staffs at UGA, Bama , etc. He has tried to address that but it takes time, Harsin did not totally understand SEC recruiting with building relationships with HS coaches, and he had issues with being available to some players. Lets also except that the debacle with the Harsin investigation will be hard to overcome as we know how cut throat SEC recruiting is and oppossing coaches will say he is a lame duck coach. Harsin has shown he can evolve starting to work with HS coaches being more available to players, being tough but still doing some fun things. Also remember all the players who left and said bad things about him were impressed with his determination to win and his knowledge.

So we don't need to bring up Gus when defending  Harsin or when blaming Harsin. You can't compare multiple year record with a one year record when so much has changed with new Transfer rules, NIL, key Injury to starting QB.  

We are so divided that one group says losing a key player like Kerryon hurt us greatly but discounts the loss of starting QB as a big reason behind end of season swoon.

Edited by AuburnNTexas
  • Like 4
  • Love 1

45 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

It is time we quit the bickering. Gus had some really good teams and some very mediocre teams. Gus was a class act as a man and as a coach who represented Auburn well and who loved Auburn. The issues is as the years progressed the mediocre became the norm. There were many reasons for this fairly highly rated recruiting classes that were not well balanced (O-Line in particular). The rules changed but Gus's offense didn't. When Gus arrived his offense was one of the best it was new and teams had not figured it out plus the rules changed. In defense of Gus he also inherited anemic defensive talent. He addressed that with the assistants he hired on defensive side and we became strong there again. Gus was good for Auburn for a while but he did not evolve. Look at Saban and look how his teams have evolved offesively over the years.

Weak O-line which Harsin inherited and WR's that had not run a sophisticated Route tree and at the time he was hired a very weak recruiting class put Harsin behind the 8 ball. Passing attack improved under Harsin and pass blocking improved but run blocking was anemic which negated what should have been our strength our RB's as we had 3 good ones.

As the schedule got tougher our O-Line woe's were magnified and to be honest we made some bad decisions like going into a shell on offense after a great 1st half against Miss. State.  We also lost Bo. With a healthy Bo we probably win 2 or 3 of the games at end of the year. 

Sometimes a season is made or broken just on a few plays a miracle pass that bounced off of defender for a TD, a kick six the other side of that is in Gus last year a fumble when Bo spikes ball backward and Ref's miss it. There was another game where ref's blew it add those two losses in Gus last year and he does not have a very good year at the end.

Let's except that Gus was a good man who represented Auburn well by running a clean program, loving the school but did not evolve and it was time to go. Lets except that the team that Harsin inherited had some talent but also some weaknesses and lacked depth. Lets except that a couple coaching decisions hurt us and having Bo hurt impacted our win-loss totals. 

What I am seeing from Harsin is recognition that our recruiting staff was anemic and not on par with staffs at UGA, Bama , etc. He has tried to address that but it takes time, Harsin did not totally understand SEC recruiting with building relationships with HS coaches, and he had issues with being available to some players. Lets also except that the debacle with the Harsin investigation will be hard to overcome as we know how cut throat SEC recruiting is and oppossing coaches will say he is a lame duck coach. Harsin has shown he can evolve starting to work with HS coaches being more available to players, being tough but still doing some fun things. Also remember all the players who left and said bad things about him were impressed with his determination to win and his knowledge.

So we don't need to bring up Gus when defending  Harsin or when blaming Harsin. You can't compare multiple year record with a one year record when so much has changed with new Transfer rules, NIL, key Injury to starting QB.  

We are so divided that one group says losing a key player like Kerryon hurt us greatly but discounts the loss of starting QB as a big reason behind end of season swoon.

I have always appreciated your post.

1 hour ago, AuburnNTexas said:

Fantastic post. Very fair. It's definitely tough to compare when the type of players Harsin wants are for totally different systems. Last year he and the players were bad fits because of that, and I gave him more leeway. Now besides OL he's turning over the roster pretty quick, so I'll give less leeway with his own players 

3 hours ago, AuburnNTexas said:

I accept all of the exceptions you listed above.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

On 3/26/2022 at 10:17 AM, Mikey said:

To date, two of the 20 players who entered the portal this cycle have gone to UCF.  By your counting that leaves 18 who aren't soft and simply wanted out.

To address the continued Gus bashing, Gus took over a team that was 6-5 in 2020 (sound familiar?) and lead them to a 9-4 record that included a bowl win over SEC member Florida. That in spite of losing his #1 QB early in the season. (9-4 and a bowl win does NOT sound familiar) 6-7 and a five game losing streak, now that sounds familiar.

Sorry for my late response this has to be addressed. Gus lost 3 games in his first year and 2 in his second year! Yippee! Then what? 5, 6, 5, 4, 5, 4 losses. His record got worse with talent he recruited.  He NEVER adjusted because he is a one trick pony. The dude was at Auburn for 9 years and averaged 4.5(5) losses a year. Do I even need to bring up his record against UGA??? 

Why you love Gus so much, I have no idea but let me put this nail in a sure place. 

Gus' Bowl Record 2-4 Auburn lost to UCF for crying out loud! Stop the foolishness! 

Lost the 2015 Outback Bowl to Wisconsin, 34-31

Won the 2016 Birmingham Bowl against Memphis, 31-10

Lost the 2017 Sugar Bowl to Oklahoma, 35-19

Lost the 2018 Peach Bowl to UCF, 34-27

Won the 2019 Music City Bowl against Purdue 63-14

Lost the 2020 Outback Bowl to Minnesota, 31-24

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, maryland tiger said:

Sorry for my late response this has to be addressed. Gus lost 3 games in his first year and 2 in his second year! Yippee! Then what? 5, 6, 5, 4, 5, 4 losses. His record got worse with talent he recruited.  He NEVER adjusted because he is a one trick pony. The dude was at Auburn for 9 years and averaged 4.5(5) losses a year. Do I even need to bring up his record against UGA??? 

Why you love Gus so much, I have no idea but let me put this nail in a sure place. 

Gus' Bowl Record 2-4 Auburn lost to UCF for crying out loud! Stop the foolishness! 

Lost the 2015 Outback Bowl to Wisconsin, 34-31

Won the 2016 Birmingham Bowl against Memphis, 31-10

Lost the 2017 Sugar Bowl to Oklahoma, 35-19

Lost the 2018 Peach Bowl to UCF, 34-27

Won the 2019 Music City Bowl against Purdue 63-14

Lost the 2020 Outback Bowl to Minnesota, 31-24

Hard to argue with facts!

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

People really still out here defending Gus?

Edited by Didba
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, cole256 said:

Will somebody that means it tell Mikey that Gus was a great coach so we can move on? 

💀... Bruh... lmao

My god the sheer amount arrogance being exuded by one poster on here is just ostentatious.

27 minutes ago, Didba said:

My god the sheer amount arrogance being exuded by one poster on here is just ostentatious.

Where is my dictionary? I gotta make sure it's not me😄

Edited by NWALA Tiger
  • Haha 1

On 3/14/2022 at 11:44 PM, Mikey said:

Great idea! Now lets put it into practice.

On 3/17/2022 at 10:07 AM, Mikey said:

It's supposed to be important to him. Making efficient use of time be some sort of brag-point seems to me to be desperately seeking something positive to hang hopes on.

You're entirely welcome. I'd rather be compared to 24 than several other posters here who will not be named.

Didn’t say he wasn’t. 

but what I got from u and the poster who originally made it sarcastic is that he would emphasize that info even if it was a low priority. 
I thought he mentioned many positive points in a speech that was very long. 

2 hours ago, maryland tiger said:

Gus lost 3 games in his first year and 2 in his second year!

Why do you comment without even bothering to check what you write for accuracy? Here's a tip: You are wrong once again.

2 hours ago, Hopsing said:

Hard to argue with facts!

Not at all hard when the alleged facts are incorrect.

2 hours ago, Didba said:

I'd think that someone who is still a student would know a better term for the situation. Oh well, considering that you are studying for one of the more useless occupations in the world, perhaps we should cut you a little more slack.

1 hour ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Only for the regular season.   8-5, a Solid Gus year

Not that great, but certainly better than 6-7. Will Harsin ever again win six games in one season at Auburn, or has he already peaked?

6 hours ago, Mikey said:

Not that great, but certainly better than 6-7. Will Harsin ever again win six games in one season at Auburn, or has he already peaked?

He has already peaked. We need load the Brinks truck up and head to UCF.. Its time to bring Gus back home to AU. 8 more years of " solid" seasons at AU..ALL HAIL GUS!

Edited by NWALA Tiger
  • Haha 2