Lane Kiffin

AUBURNJAC

Ok... Here it goes

Please hear me out and then give me thoughts, good and bad.   

Lane Kiffin is the coach I would like to see at Auburn.  I know he has a "complicated" past, but it seems to me that this super talented coach has finally matured into a serious SEC coach.  Yes, there were plenty of issues with him with his sudden departure from Tennessee to his tumultuous tenure at USC.    However, most of his "shenanigans" are nearly 10 years old.  He did a great job at Florida Atlantic and has quickly turned Ole Miss into a top tier SEC team.   He also has NFL experience, and that is important to recruits. Speaking of, he is a beast at recruiting and that will be super important to Auburn as long as Nick and Kirby are on their respective thrones. 

I think Kiffin would fit right in with Auburn as well.  He would bring an energy that would fit right in and likely play off of Bruce Pearls in my opinion.  He would bring a lot of enthusiasm to our fan base, and you know the students would absolutely love him just the way they do Pearl! Ole Miss is paying him a pretty penny,  but in my opinion Auburn has proven that it is a place where championships can be won, while Ole Miss has not.  I think if Lane had the entire state of Georgia in his back yard to competitively recruit in, he could do plenty with that. More than he can do with North Mississippi and West Tennessee anyway.  

So, what are some others thoughts on this?  I personally like him a lot more than Freeze or Stoops.  I think it is imperative that we get someone with solid HC experience from a power 5 program. Equally important though (imho) is  for Auburn to hire a kick ass recruiter who knows the SEC, has youth on his side, and  an energy to excite not only his players, but a very depressed fan base.  He would be very pricey,  but I think this hire would pay big dividends for Auburn! 

#LaneforAU

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, AUBURNJAC said:

Ok... Here it goes

Lane Kiffin is the coach I would like to see at Auburn.  I know he has a "complicated" past, but it seems to me that this super talented coach has finally matured into a serious SEC coach.  Yes, there were plenty of issues with him with his sudden departure from Tennessee to his tumultuous tenure at USC.    However, most of his "shenanigans" are nearly 10 years old.  He did a great job at Florida Atlantic and has quickly turned Ole Miss into a top tier SEC team.   He also has NFL experience, and that is important to recruits. Speaking of, he is a beast at recruiting and that will be super important to Auburn as long as Nick and Kirby are on their respective thrones. 

I think Kiffin would fit right in with Auburn as well.  He would bring an energy that would fit right in and likely play off of Bruce Pearls in my opinion.  He would bring a lot of enthusiasm to our fan base, and you know the students would absolutely love him just the way they do Pearl! Ole Miss is paying him a pretty penny,  but in my opinion Auburn has proven that it is a place where championships can be won, while Ole Miss has not.  I think if Lane had the entire state of Georgia in his back yard to competitively recruit in, he could do plenty with that. More than he can do with North Mississippi and West Tennessee anyway.  

So, what are some others thoughts on this?  I personally like him a lot more than Freeze or Stoops.  I think it is imperative that we get someone with solid HC experience from a power 5 program. Equally important though (imho) is  for Auburn to hire a kick ass recruiter who knows the SEC, has youth on his side, and  an energy to excite not only his players, but a very depressed fan base.  He would be very pricey,  but I think this hire would pay big dividends for Auburn! 

#LaneforAU

finebaum says that is his pick and he will be talking about it quite a bit today.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, AUBURNJAC said:

Ok... Here it goes

#LaneforAU

Lane hates recruiting.. and has had worse classes than AU

• Like 3

Ole Miss has had one of the top portal classes the past 2 years.  The recruiting leaves a lot to be desired.  Lane seems to have matured quite a bit from his USC, Raiders days.  Something about him doesn't scream Auburn but I can think of worse Ole Miss coaches Auburn has been interested in.  

• Haha 1

If AU is looking for a splash, quick turn around artist…he should be in contention.  Recruiting is a concern, but he could rebuild through the portal immediately and knows how to win in the SEC.

If the quick turn around thing is a high priority, he’s less risky than some other options being floated….Meyer, Freeze, and Sanders.

Lane is killing it at recruiting for Ole Miss.  Lane's problems are not coaching.   It is his personal.  I am willing to take the risk.  He has learned under the best.

• Like 2

Never much cared for Lane. But all you guys who think he is leaving a stable program where he is doing well to jump into our mess are living in the past. Sure, there was a time that might have been considered an upgrade for him.  But now, you might as well set your sights on Dabo.   And if Finebaum is pushing it, he just wants to see us embarrassed.

10 minutes ago, Cardin Drake said:

Never much cared for Lane. But all you guys who think he is leaving a stable program where he is doing well to jump into our mess are living in the past. Sure, there was a time that might have been considered an upgrade for him.  But now, you might as well set your sights on Dabo.   And if Finebaum is pushing it, he just wants to see us embarrassed.

Some people want more than “stable” and enjoy the risks that life offers.

Is it possible to build a championship program at OM?

• Like 1

Show Lane the money and he will follow. I think we could get him if we really wanted to.  Another name I like is Matt Campbell for ISU. He has taken a horrible program and made them contenders in the big 12.  Dave Aranda would be a great choice as well. Do not count out Hugh Freeze. He has done his penance and is a committed Christian man from what I have heard.  If you want to go with coordinators, look at Jeff Grimes.

2 hours ago, AUBURNJAC said:

Ok... Here it goes

#LaneforAU

CLK was the one I was pulling for. Just wasn't going to happen. He has an ego and  I don't see PTB ever allowing that to occur. I do think Kiffen has toned down the brashness. Somehow JJ pulled it off with CBP.  WDE

8 minutes ago, mountaincorgi said:

Show Lane the money and he will follow. I think we could get him if we really wanted to.  Another name I like is Matt Campbell for ISU. He has taken a horrible program and made them contenders in the big 12.  Dave Aranda would be a great choice as well. Do not count out Hugh Freeze. He has done his penance and is a committed Christian man from what I have heard.  If you want to go with coordinators, look at Jeff Grimes.

Well, you have accurately assessed Lane's character. The only thing he would do with an Auburn offer now is get himself a raise at Ol Miss and use it against us on the recruiting trail.  I'm coming around a little on Freeze.  He's done a heck of a job at Liberty, and would probably like another crack at the SEC. 

49 minutes ago, AUCE05 said:

Lane is killing it at recruiting for Ole Miss.  Lane's problems are not coaching.   It is his personal.  I am willing to take the risk.  He has learned under the best.

Lane currently has the #49 ranked recruiting class…

Why would Lane even think about leaving Ole Miss for Auburn? It's almost delusional to think he would leave a program on the rise for a program in decay.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, shabby said:

Why would Lane even think about leaving Ole Miss for Auburn? It's almost delusional to think he would leave a program on the rise for a program in decay.

Short easy answer. For a Brinks truck full of $$$ and a guaranteed multi year contract. I think he is the leader in the clubhouse. Btw, Freeze is my pick. 

Just now, WarTim said:

Short easy answer. For a Brinks truck full of $$$ and a guaranteed multi year contract. I think he is the leader in the clubhouse. Btw, Freeze is my pick. 

He is getting well paid at OLe Miss. His only consideration for Auburn would be in how to leverage our insurance interest for a raise. 

• Like 1

I think Mark Stoops would be tremendous and we would have a realistic chance at getting him. Lane would be good too but why would he leave a good thing at Ole miss where he has job security and the playoffs right around the corner which should help his chances of further success with minimal pressure?

53 minutes ago, gctiger said:

Lane currently has the #49 ranked recruiting class…

Their average is 90 and he supplements through the portal.  I didn't say he is recruiting Georgia well.  But Ole Miss has a limit and he is hitting it.  

34 minutes ago, shabby said:

He is getting well paid at OLe Miss. His only consideration for Auburn would be in how to leverage our insurance interest for a raise. 

“Well paid” vs Brinks truck full of ca$h. Hmmm. Again, JMHO 

1 hour ago, mountaincorgi said:

Show Lane the girls and he will follow.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Kiffin is the 11th highest paid coach at $7.25 million. The question is, is Kiffin worth $9 to $10 million a year type money to steal him away? He has not won the west, has not made the playoffs and has not beaten bama. His best coaching season was last year and he lost to us. Unless we could get away with a low buyout, which I don't think we could, I don't think he has done anything to earn that.