For all the Coach Prime fans …

RunInRed

23 hours ago, bishoptf said:

I dunno there could be a whole list of reasons as to why he hasn't yet been offered a HC position a P5 school yet, you can have your opinion but its just that it's an opinion, no one really knows why those schools passed on him. I think at some point it will happen and in my opinion I think he will recruit well and have good coordinators and do well, how well is the question but there really is no sure thing. No one knew Saban was going to dominate like he has when he made his way to UAT after he was run out of Miami. UAT went through many coaches before landing on their lottery winner. Its apparent from all the years and all the coaches that you really never know about who is going to be a great head coach, some just click and others don't. 

Since your not a Deion fan I am cuirous who is at the top of your list, who do you think we could get and would come in and get the job done?

Luke Fickell at the moment. 

• Love 1

8 minutes ago, tightendoverthemiddle said:

Yeah, Yeah I do.

Simply. Explain why he has been passed on for all of the open jobs over the last 10 to 12 months? 

I am not buying into the cult following here. 

Probably because he had even less experience than he does now and hiring him last season would have been a HUGE gamble that most big schools wouldn't attempt. But now that he has another season with HC experience and has proven he can recruit quality talent in the SWAC, he looks way better and is an option for schools albeit still a risky one.

You seem to dislike him because of preconceived notions from when he was a player despite that being almost 20 years ago. People change and mature and if you can't see the amount of good that he's trying to do now then you never will.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, tgrogan21 said:

Probably because he had even less experience than he does now and hiring him last season would have been a HUGE gamble that most big schools wouldn't attempt. But now that he has another season with HC experience and has proven he can recruit quality talent in the SWAC, he looks way better and is an option for schools albeit still a risky one.

You seem to dislike him because of preconceived notions from when he was a player despite that being almost 20 years ago. People change and mature and if you can't see the amount of good that he's trying to do now then you never will.

I am not looking out for Deion Sanders. I am looking out for Auburn University. He is not a good fit. My opinion.

1 hour ago, tightendoverthemiddle said:

Easy, right now, he is hyping his kids playing. Again, Deion for Deion. What happened with Alabama State?

I appreciate you taking the time to respond, but surely you see how far you're pushing the bounds of credulity.

His sons will only be in school for a few years at most. He himself is probably moving on to bigger coaching opportunities soon, and they may go with him. Any direct benefit to him or his family from actions taken to help the SWAC or HBCUs in general would be very minimal. 

On 10/17/2022 at 8:58 PM, tightendoverthemiddle said:

LOL.. so YOU are telling ME about "Deion Samders"...  Deion the player... from High School on.. the National Media will EAT HIM ALIVE, as a Coach in Division 1.  the U had an opening, why didn't they hire him? UF had an opening, why didn't they hire him? FSU, his alma mater.. why didn't they hire him. LSU, had an opening, why didn't they hire him. Texas, OU, USC SHALL I CONTINUE!!  No program wants to align themselves with someone who lets his OWN Agenda is Bigger than the University and those that support it.

1 hour ago, tightendoverthemiddle said:

Luke Fickell at the moment. 

Luke Fickell may turn out to be a good p5 coach but really using what you said about Deion you could say about Fickell, the U had an opening, why didn't they hire him? UF had an opening, why didn't they hire him? FSU..why didn't they hire him. LSU, had an opening, why didn't they hire him. Texas, OU, USC....

You can say that Cincinnati is in a better conference and he has been coaching longer but that doesn't assure that he could come into the SEC and out recruit the likes of Kirby and Saban and the other SEC coaches, not sure how long it would take him to ramp up his SEC connections etc. I believe that Deion could come in and from name alone start competing for recruits on day one but in the end you can there is no sure thing, if Luke was a sure thing he would not still be coaching in Cinci and like I said earlier he may turn out to be a great p5 head coach but its not a sure thing by any stretch...Really no one really knows who the next great coach will be, if they did well then we wouldnt be where we are today along with a lot of universities. :)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Viper said:

primetime-you.gif

Just for you Viper, I will say it again. " Get your ass on the airplane with a blank check, and don't come back without him. Same as Bama did."

8 minutes ago, VegasEagle said:

Just for you Viper, I will say it again. " Get your ass on the airplane with a blank check, and don't come back without him. Same as Bama did."

My instinct is Prime’s a Venmo guy

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, VegasEagle said:

mPxzw4.gif

• Like 1

8 hours ago, tightendoverthemiddle said:

Easy, right now, he is hyping his kids playing. Again, Deion for Deion. What happened with Alabama State?

What happened with Alabama state? He won. And he made them a bunch of money......That's what happened.

It's hilarious one of the few guys that actually cares about the players is just him being for himself. I guess you would say Fickell isn't selfish though.....right?

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, auburnatl1 said:

My instinct is Prime’s a Venmo guy

Ok then get his Venmo and keep sending the request until he accepts it!

Edited by autiger88

2 hours ago, cole256 said:

What happened with Alabama state? He won. And he made them a bunch of money......That's what happened.

It's hilarious one of the few guys that actually cares about the players is just him being for himself. I guess you would say Fickell isn't selfish though.....right?

Yea, I find it hilarious that people criticize Deion because they perceive him as being “selfish” as if no coach at this level or any level in college doesn’t have an ego. I can guarantee you those other candidates listed didn’t get Wal Mart to invest in their school’s facilities or get prominent companies to support their conference. Or how about Deion constantly preparing his players for life outside of football because he knows not all of them are going to be in the pros so he gets them ready for the real world? Again, I can understand somewhat of the argument of his inexperience but to criticize him about his perceived ego is laughable and shows clear bias…

• Like 2

During our last basketball coach opening, we could have chosen a solid hire.  Maybe even a very good hire.  Instead, Auburn took a big risk and reaped big rewards.  It's time to replicate that model for football.  Midget is 71 and his run is coming to an end.  It's Prime time.

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Butthead said:

During our last basketball coach opening, we could have chosen a solid hire.  Maybe even a very good hire.  Instead, Auburn took a big risk and reaped big rewards.  It's time to replicate that model for football.  Midget is 71 and his run is coming to an end.  It's Prime time.

No. No quality coach would’ve wanted to come to Auburn as the basketball program was comparative to Vandy level in football. We could afford a risk hire under those circumstances, no questions asked because we were at our lowest.

However, every coach named is a risk for the football program. All this to say, the comparison between the basketball program and current football program is not equal. 

Edited by DAG
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, DAG said:

No. No quality coach would’ve wanted to come to Auburn as the basketball program was comparative to Vandy level in football. We could afford a risk hire under those circumstances, no questions asked because we were at our lowest.

However, every coach named is a risk for the football program. All this to say, the comparison between the basketball program and current football program is not equal. 

Completely disagree.  We are told that Grimes and Prime are 1a and 1b.  Grimes, while a solid potential hire, has no head coaching experience.  Auburn pays very well.  Are you saying we could not have gone out and hired nearly any assistant in the country as a head basketball coach?  I am sure they are a few 'in waiting' guys out there at Kansas or another blue blood, but all want a shot.  We could have certainly hired most of them.  Instead we gambled and it paid off.  Auburn football is now last in the SEC west -- if we played every SEC team this year the only certain win would be Vandy.  Our roster is FUBAR after this season.  Our recruiting is ever worse.  And nearly every position coach will likely be gone next year.  It's time for something risky and imaginative.  It's Prime time.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Butthead said:

Completely disagree.  We are told that Grimes and Prime are 1a and 1b.  Grimes, while a solid potential hire, has no head coaching experience.  Auburn pays very well.  Are you saying we could not have gone out and hired nearly any assistant in the country as a head basketball coach?  I am sure they are a few 'in waiting' guys out there at Kansas or another blue blood, but all want a shot.  We could have certainly hired most of them.  Instead we gambled and it paid off.  Auburn football is now last in the SEC west -- if we played every SEC team this year the only certain win would be Vandy.  Our roster is FUBAR after this season.  Our recruiting is ever worse.  And nearly every position coach will likely be gone next year.  It's time for something risky and imaginative.  It's Prime time.

Exactly what I am telling you. No coach with a proven record would’ve came to Auburn basketball program. The football program can get quality coaches if they got out of their own way. The problem is they limit themselves to the Grimes of the world. IMO, Auburn could absolutely get an UM, a Stoops, etc if they really wanted to but certain optics always get in the way. The basketball program was freaking horrible for years upon years.

The football program is not at that state. Bruce Pearl was in the perfect scenario for Auburn because none of the power 5 schools wanted to take a chance on him and our basketball program was so trash, we desperately made a leap of faith. I don’t understand this revisionist history.

Edited by DAG
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Butthead said:

It's time for something risky and imaginative.

High risk equals either high reward or absolute disaster. Nobody knows how any given coaching hire will work out, and that includes Sanders. 

7 minutes ago, Mikey said:

High risk equals either high reward or absolute disaster. Nobody knows how any given coaching hire will work out, and that includes Sanders. 

Absolutely agree.  A calculated risk to be sure.  But IMO, with the importance of marketing and NIL now, Prime is the best bet.

2 hours ago, Mikey said:

We’re already a disaster so the only risk is just more of it.  However, I don’t think there’s any scenario where prime doesn’t dramatically improve recruiting and assemble a high end coach em up staff.  Throw in he’s already deeply recruiting top players in our footprint now, the portal, and NIL. Hes hard wired for us to get a lot (potentially elite) better.

The risk of Deion to me is his P5 inexperience could lead to too much of a good thing. It’ll be a media feeding frenzy. Sounds great since auburn has been punch line and as boring as watching water freeze for years. However, as a program leader he’ll also need to have the discipline to provide a calming hand sometimes and not just be a perpetual lightning rod. Otherwise the “circus” scenario,  booster friction, too many “Prime says…”  articles that fatigue - just become distractions . At some point positive nirvana energy can devolve into chaos.

Honestly in his mid 50s I think he matured and can manage his personality now. And to me, if people don’t believe Deion could turn and elevate this team faster and higher than any other option - I don’t know how to argue that. It’s a waters wet thing.  However if the “high risk” is about the critical broader management of a large program and being a big persona with no experience at this level. That is absolutely true (I do think BP can help here). And he’ll have to evolve that skill set quickly. 

Edited by auburnatl1
  • Like 1

I'm 100% all in on Prime as HC.  Then he can get Grimes as OC, eveyone's happy.  Hell even bring back Mason to coach D.

52 minutes ago, fishepa said:

I'm 100% all in on Prime as HC.  Then he can get Grimes as OC, eveyone's happy.  Hell even bring back Mason to coach D.

Why would grimes make a lateral move when he is trying to be a HC here? That’s not happening. 

• Like 1

Look what he did with this defense with most of the same players. We do not have a bunch of talent and the most important thing in our case was depth. He could get us playing well but eventually the players wore out.

Mason did a great job with what he had under the circumstances he had them in

• Like 1