2022-23 Coaching Search Thread

Zeek

Just now, JDUBB4AU said:

I forgot about Temple. He deserves a lot of credit for Baylor. But it’s all about recruiting. Can he do that here? AU needs players . 

Rhule seems like a do more with less coach than a bring the best in coach.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, DAG said:

I believe 1A/1B for cohen will be Lane or Deion 

They both have their pros and cons.  I think Lane is the safer bet, personally.

• Like 1

Just now, Hank2020 said:

Nailed it. AU needs immediate impact. Rhule won’t get the time needed to do it his way. To coach at AU the minute your hired the minute your exit interview begins. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

What is his recruiting like esp in our recruiting territory?

JHead seems to think he’s a pretty good recruiter. Rhule apparently is very analytical with his program’s recruiting. Think Harsin, but successful. We may not always have the most 5/4 star guys, and that will probably piss us off, but apparently he’s really good at finding the right players.

• Dislike 1

5 hours ago, GreenTiger said:

Who would be able to recruit at an elite level at Ole Miss??? 

Freeze…..just kidding

33 minutes ago, Zeek said:

Going to lose my s*** with all the options available if we take Matt Rhule.

Agree. I'll take Rhule if we make Lane or Deion tell us no. I think he's a solid coach but i'd want Grimes before Rhule. We have a realistic chance to make a splash hire considering our job is the best one open. GO BIG! 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

JHead seems to think he’s a pretty good recruiter. Rhule apparently is very analytical with his program’s recruiting. Think Harsin, but successful. We may not always have the most 5/4 star guys, and that will probably piss us off, but apparently he’s really good at finding the right players.

Yes this would piss everyone off. I don’t have links , but the higher ranked the player the faster the impact. Rhule will not get years to build. The AU fan base is pissed and wants positivity yesterday. We are worn the hell out lol

• Like 1
  • Dislike 1

5 minutes ago, Bro Johnny Mac said:

Rhule shouldn’t be option 1 or 2.

If Prime and Kiffin fall through, you can’t do much better than Rhule as a third option 

Correct:

If you can't get Giannis, try to get Steph. If you cannot get Steph. Try to get Luka. But don't s*** on Luka because you missed on Giannis and Steph. That is silly.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, dyehardfanAU said:

We know we’re in an interesting place when lane is “safe”.  Safe in that he’s experienced with a good track record.  But he seems like been at half of the P5 already - he’s a … restless personality.  And that has consequences.  But he’s a definite huge upgrade. 
(I much prefer Deions “straight up” approach).

17 minutes ago, JDUBB4AU said:

I forgot about Temple. He deserves a lot of credit for Baylor. But it’s all about recruiting. Can he do that here? AU needs players . 

I prefer others but he has shown he can build a program from the ashes. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, woodford said:

Can’t spell Auburn without Urban

Hell no! He’s a dumpster fire on his own. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, woodford said:

I gotta be honest . I would not be upset at this one. one of the best coaches in CFB history . Remember Mike Leach so called locked Craig James kid in a closet lol. People can change 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

8 minutes ago, woodford said:

Ah a name from the forbidden 4 temptation list.

Freeze, urban, petrino, and Gruden.

57 minutes ago, Auburnguy101 said:

Rhule hates recruiting. Next…

He’s just not good at it. This hire more than anything else needs to be a elite recruiter. Prime fits the bill. Lane was really good at recruiting at Tennessee and usc. He’s been great recruiting in the portal at ole miss to help bridge the gap with the disadvantages that come with recruiting high school guys at ole miss.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, ThurstontheWelshCorgi said:

Hypothetical

Would you rather have dell mcgee or cadillac williams as head coach? I'd go w caddy.

Dell

31 minutes ago, Hank2020 said:

And that’s exactly why he won’t work here. That’s what we were sold with Harsin. The sec west is the most cutthroat recruiting division in all of football. Someone like Rhule is not going to cut it. He’s a program builder. Nebraska is more his speed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Alright, so I think Hayes is an idiot--promotes the "Harsin is victim!" narrative--but do we believe what he claims "one Power 5 coach" said about us?

Edited by AUwent

Just now, GwillMac6 said:

And that’s exactly why he won’t work here. That’s what we were sold with Harsin. The sec west is the most cutthroat recruiting division in all of football. Someone like Rhule is not going to cut it. He’s a program builder. Nebraska is more his speed.

Agree. We’re in a 5* war zone. If you don’t think they could  head butt uga/uat in recruiting - it’s really a non starter.  

• Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, JDUBB4AU said:

I don’t get the Rhule attraction. He doesn’t get the people going like Deon or the kiff. I would say he is far down the list, but then again AU doesn’t care what we think 

Neither did Heupel at UT but look at them now…you don’t just want to win the press conference you also want to win the actual conference. Watch how quick the people quit going after some losses. We need vision, infrastructure, someone who can build and manage a program effectively. Most IMO proven are Kiffin and Rhule. 

41 minutes ago, dyehardfanAU said:

I agree but I wonder if safer bet is the way to go. We’re kind of buried under Saban and Kirby right now. Might need to swing for the fences. 

31 minutes ago, WarEagle1983 said:

Agree. I'll take Rhule if we make Lane or Deion tell us no. I think he's a solid coach but i'd want Grimes before Rhule. We have a realistic chance to make a splash hire considering our job is the best one open. GO BIG! 

Just curious. Why would you want the guy who has never proven to be a successful HC over the guy who has proven he can be successful HC at two places that were in the pits before he got there. You don’t rebuild without recruiting and development. No disrespect.