Get on Board the Lane Train!

AU-24

Guest MustardSeed
1 minute ago, ThurstontheWelshCorgi said:

I hope I am wrong but I don't see historical norms changing to the point we are year in and year out booking 10 to 10+ wins every year.  

Get a top notch recruiter and watch that change. Just ask Georgia 

We are on average top 3 in the west. To finish 3rd in the west on average with a 12 game schedule and a bowl game is to lose 2 or 3 games a year (depending on the UGA game). The last 5 years don’t count in those averages because we fired both coaches for those results. I honestly believe we are finally serious about getting a top notch coach…and LK can average 10 wins a year here…. Though I’m not a huge fan of his…. Any hire of Kiffin or better quality gets us better than averaging 5 losses every other year IMO

8 minutes ago, MustardSeed said:

Hey it won’t ruin my life as it would some on here if we suck for decades…AU football is just enjoyment for me (didn’t used to be that way…and man I don’t miss those days). But that doesn’t mean I’m hoping for mediocre…because that would just be less enjoyable 

I was actually agreeing with you.

8 hours ago, DAG said:

…the only thing that matters is the W/L column.

To an extent… somehow, @MustardSeed has convinced himself that OM’s 8-3 record is more or less the same as AU’s 5-6 record, and that we fired Harsin for the same season that Lane is having. But even if we buy into that, there’s more to look at than the W/L record when evaluating the health of a football program. Auburn was clearly trending down with Harsin at the wheel, with no productivity from our best position groups. OM is trending up with Kiffin and always gets a lot from his best players. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Zinzan said:

To an extent… somehow, @MustardSeed has convinced himself that OM’s 8-3 record is more or less the same as AU’s 5-6 record, and that we fired Harsin for the same season that Lane is having. But even if we buy into that, there’s more to look at than the W/L record when evaluating the health of a football program. Auburn was clearly trending down with Harsin at the wheel, with no productivity from our best position groups. OM is trending up with Kiffin and always gets a lot from his best players. 

I agree. But for specific games, don't give me excuses as to why you could've won, which some are doing because of the Arkansas win against Ole Miss. I never agreed that CLK is on the same par as Harsin.

Edited by DAG
  • Like 1

Guest MustardSeed
4 minutes ago, DAG said:

I agree. But for specific games, don't give me excuses as to why you could've won, which some are doing because of the Arkansas loss to Ole Miss. I never agreed that CLK is on the same par as Harsin.

I stated above that Kiffin could probably win 10 games a year here which Harsin was never gonna do…so he’s a step up but not as big as some believe  IMO  He’s given no indication that he’s a championship quality coach worth a huge payout  

but the facts are still that Kiffins season is only slightly better than ours when you go game by game. He has big holes in his team in year 3 which is a testament to his lack of HS recruiting.  

32 minutes ago, ThurstontheWelshCorgi said:

I hope I am wrong but I don't see historical norms changing to the point we are year in and year out booking 10 to 10+ wins every year.  

This is a part of the problem. Expectations at AU have been talked about ad nauseam but if you can't tell that things are changing around this program, I'm afraid you just aren't paying attention. Gotta change your mindset.

Edited by CAReeves2010
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, MustardSeed said:

He’s given no indication that he’s a championship quality coach worth a huge payout  

This is also true but to even get a proven coach we will have to over pay. How much is up to Auburn

6 minutes ago, CAReeves2010 said:

This is a part of the problem. Expectations at AU have been talked about ad nauseam but if you can't tell that things are changing around this program, I'm afraid you just aren't paying attention. Gotta change your mindset.

No I won't be changing my mindset unless a coach is hired that warrants the change which I hinted at in my first post about this topic. We finally have an nil collective ready to go and a nice brick and mortar facility, good -- I look around the SEC and think about texas and oklahoma's arrival and I look at Auburn, I look at the history of Auburn and I am not convinced that we will ever be a full tilt break neck bad a** program that is dominating the south. I want top 12 recruiting, I want to make a run once every three or four years and I want to perenially be a tough out for every team we play. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, MustardSeed said:

He has big holes in his team in year 3 which is a testament to his lack of HS recruiting.  

Everyone is talking about being a portal king.  Well in a year or so they won't be able to come in and just start playing so HS recruiting is still valuable and needs to have a great strategy to keep the talent coming in.  Use the portal to shore up holes, i.e. injuries, players that don't work out...limited experience etc...

• Like 1

Guest MustardSeed
19 minutes ago, DAG said:

This is also true but to even get a proven coach we will have to over pay. How much is up to Auburn

Agreed. The landscape of college football contracts is out of control and I don’t envy those that spend millions only to find out it was a failure and I need to now give millions more to fix it

13 minutes ago, AU_Tiger_88 said:

Everyone is talking about being a portal king.  Well in a year or so they won't be able to come in and just start playing so HS recruiting is still valuable and needs to have a great strategy to keep the talent coming in.  Use the portal to shore up holes, i.e. injuries, players that don't work out...limited experience etc...

Pretty much how Dabo wants to use it and people took that as he doesn't like the portal.

Guest MustardSeed

The very real possibly is the reality that we fired Gus to hire someone to tank the program and then hire Gus 2.0 for a lot more money who may not be as good of a recruiter. 
I’ll wholeheartedly support any coach we hire assuming we don’t hire someone with consistent moral failures to lead young men (I’ll never support that for any reason because in reality that SHOULD BE priority #1…raising up good and decent young men). I think Lane could be good for a few years and end up very similar to Gus. In all reality Gus wasn’t a very bad coach or hire. He just wasn’t up to what we want our standard to be. Perhaps LK can be a little bit better…the landscape has changed and maybe we will pay more for assistants this go round. If that happens it will be ok with me. 
War Eagle regardless of who we hire. 

Honestly,  I am happy I see improvement game to game and year to year.   That is all that matters to me.   I am willing to be patient. 

game to game evidence of blocking getting better,  QB progressing,  better tackling,  etc. etc. etc.

6-6,  7-5 ,  8-4 ,  9-3 ,  9-3,  10-2 ,   then 9 to 11 wins consistently.    

I think Kiffin will make the most immediate impact with his portal acumen.  Some of the other coaches may be better high school recruiters,  which may take a 2-3 years  to get us back to the depth we need,  but the end result will be the same.  We are looking at  a few years before we are  seriously competitive again. 

The good news is,   we have positions open across the board.   if you want to play right away,  Auburn is the way.

21 minutes ago, ThurstontheWelshCorgi said:

No I won't be changing my mindset unless a coach is hired that warrants the change which I hinted at in my first post about this topic. We finally have an nil collective ready to go and a nice brick and mortar facility, good -- I look around the SEC and think about texas and oklahoma's arrival and I look at Auburn, I look at the history of Auburn and I am not convinced that we will ever be a full tilt break neck bad a** program that is dominating the south. I want top 12 recruiting, I want to make a run once every three or four years and I want to perenially be a tough out for every team we play. 

That's fair. The point I'm making is, it feels like AU as a whole has moved on from the 8-4 expectation. 

Snatching Cohen from MSU and firing Harsin mid-season and essentially cleaning house, as far as Harsin's guys, spoke volumes. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AU_Tiger_88 said:

Everyone is talking about being a portal king.  Well in a year or so they won't be able to come in and just start playing 

Why?

13 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Kiffins body language last nite spoke volumes. 

Reminds me of a guy who has gotten a divorce lawyer, but still at the family BBQ. He has a bad poker face

I wish we could get a coach that wasn't managed my Jimmy Sexton. Out of the gate, Kiffen will probably have an outrageous contract (I personally don't find his head coaching record anything special, and not worth 10 million dollars). Given Kiffen's history for hopping around, every two years we are going to have this Sexton bull**** on a platter of "pony up" while the rumos swirl. 

Auburn is like a battered woman, and Sexton knows he will get the most for the least out of Auburn.  Kiffen will go like 9-4 next year, and then pull a 10-3 and the cycle will start. Big raise...followed by a couple of 7-6 type years and 50 million dollar buy out. 

6063931.png?701

• Love 1
  • Facepalm 1

13 minutes ago, Viper said:

We had Top 12 recruiting with Gus and Chizik.

It's easily doable again.

Should be top 10 every year with a top 5 sprinkled in there. Or more so. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, woodford said:

Should be top 10 every year with a top 5 sprinkled in there. Or more so. 

If AU were to hire a certain NFL HOF camped out in the next state to the West, Top 5 sprinkles would become a monsoon.