Get on Board the Lane Train!

AU-24

13 minutes ago, LPTiger said:

Incredibility effective in recruiting high school=opinion.    Ole Miss was 27th in 2022 recruiting rankings and is 25th in 2023=facts.  That ins't incredibly effective IMO.

But he was # 1 in the transfer portal. 

5 hours ago, dyehardfanAU said:

The one time transfer rule was a permanent change, no?

As of now here is the rule:  The “one-time transfer exception” remains in place, allowing immediate eligibility for athletes the first time they transfer. For all subsequent transfers, athletes will still be required to sit out a year or receive an NCAA waiver for immediate eligibility.

They could change the rule so that you have to sit out.  It will be interesting.

1 hour ago, CR said:

Jimbos got a career record of 120-44, 3 ACC championships and a National Championship. I guess youd be thrilled with him

Not even a little bit, but you make an interesting if sarcastic point.  Jimbo's record is far and away better than Lane's!  If we wouldn't take Jimbo with a superior career record, albeit mostly in the ACC, why on Earth would we want Lane with a career record far inferior to Jimbo?

When you compare their records only in the SEC, Kiffin's 3 yr winning rate is .676 (23-11), and Jimbo's 5 yr winning rate is .644 (38-21). 

Kiffin's record is not remarkably better than JImbo's in the SEC, and far inferior to Jimbo's from a career standpoint.

10 million better get Auburn 5-10 classes with top 5 transfer portal guys until the roster is restocked.  10 million better get Auburn in the CFB playoffs every other year and I’m not talking about a 12 team playoff. I mean a 4 team playoff.  10 million better not get Auburn down to Arkansas (or any team) by 40 points.  

8 hours ago, woodford said:

He's not my number 1 and I've certainly warmed up to him, but I'd like to see who he could assemble on his staff. They would be doing most of the in-game coaching if I had to guess.

His staff at JSU is very good!!!   With AU’s brand and resources there’s no telling who he could haul in!!!   
Sure, the lack of P5 experience is a risk.  But he’s been around great coaches and programs at FSU and the NFL as a player, former player, and personality.   So he’s experienced it more than other non P5 coaches.   As a face of the program, motivator, and recruiter, I can’t see anyone doing a better job than Deion.    Caddy and Deion together would be unstoppable on the trail and motivating players!!!!!!

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

10 million better get Auburn 5-10 classes with top 5 transfer portal guys until the roster is restocked.  10 million better get Auburn in the CFB playoffs every other year and I’m not talking about a 12 team playoff. I mean a 4 team playoff.  10 million better not get Auburn down to Arkansas (or any team) by 40 points.  

Wow!!!   With your expectations I guarantee you will be very disappointed!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, lovemytigerz said:

Not even a little bit, but you make an interesting if sarcastic point.  Jimbo's record is far and away better than Lane's!  If we wouldn't take Jimbo with a superior career record, albeit mostly in the ACC, why on Earth would we want Lane with a career record far inferior to Jimbo?

When you compare their records only in the SEC, Kiffin's 3 yr winning rate is .676 (23-11), and Jimbo's 5 yr winning rate is .644 (38-21). 

Kiffin's record is not remarkably better than JImbo's in the SEC, and far inferior to Jimbo's from a career standpoint.

AND that’s OM vs TamU.  Jimbo has more talent and resources.  
If two coaches had the same league record, but one at bama and the other at Vandy, I would tell you 100% the Vandy coach was much much better!!!!

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, AUinMS9528 said:

Wow!!!   With your expectations I guarantee you will be very disappointed!

You’re right.  I will be very disappointed just like everyone in College Station and East Lansing is right now.  Dabo is the only coach being talked about that would warrant anywhere near that amount of money.

14 minutes ago, AUinMS9528 said:

AND that’s OM vs TamU.  Jimbo has more talent and resources.  
If two coaches had the same league record, but one at bama and the other at Vandy, I would tell you 100% the Vandy coach was much much better!!!!

Not sure the difference in talent & resources allocated to football btwn Bama & Vandy and OM & TAMU is equal.  The difference btwn Bama & Vandy is an east is east and west is west kinda difference!  But, your point is valid to a degree.

But, I would also add that TAMU has a defense; Lane doesn't value the necessity & power of swarming defense.  For that reason, until he brings in a coach with a swarming defense and abandons his "analytics system", he will not be an elite coach IMO.   

When you look across time and space, the juggernaut programs (Bama, GA, Pat Dye's Auburn teams) have great defensive head coaches.  To build a juggernaut program, Auburn should move away from offensive coaches who are frankly a dime a dozen, and bring in a defensive coach.  The question is what defensive coach will translate into the CEO role an SEC coach must become?  Chizik, Muschamp, Barry Odom, and others have failed to make the jump despite being amazing defensive minds.  So, when we look across the coaching landscape today, who has the defensive chops & SEC pedigree to rebuild the powerhouse Auburn program?

Dan Lanning is on that list, and he's currently building a top 10 class .. in Oregon .. and he's got 5* kids coming from the south to visit Oregon.  

Luke Fickell is a defensive coach, has a great resume, but he's a strictly OH guy.  Not sure he would come to Auburn, but Auburn should totally reach out to him.  

Guest MustardSeed
13 hours ago, Tigerpro2a said:

Gus technically was once thought of as the best offensive minds in CfB at a moment in history. The game changed. He didn't is what it is. 

I think we all (fans and not just AU fans) put too much stock into anomalies. Show me an offensive minded coach in history that never had a game where his offense didn't struggle to move the ball or put up points, or both. Show me a Defensive minded coach that has never been ran through like S#$% through a tin horn. 

Anybody that bases their opinion of a coach's ability based on one poor, or even one great experience, is probably way off based.  

I asked for stats to prove he was the best which requires a career of data.  No one even mentioned basing it off of one game….

2 hours ago, MustardSeed said:

I asked for stats to prove he was the best which requires a career of data.  No one even mentioned basing it off of one game….

so I wasnt really directing that part of my post to you (probably should have said that), but I will play along anyway. Just a quick look up of Total offensive CFB Rankings by year is pretty telling. 

So he brought Alabama's Offense out of the 20th century. 

in 2017, his 1st year as HC of the Owls, they didn't rank in the top 50 in Total Offense. In 2018 , They were a top 10 offense in the country.  He followed that up with another top 15 offense in 2019.

2020 Ole Miss, Top 3 Offense. 2021 Ole Miss- #4 Total offense. So far in 2022, he has the #4 total offense.

I mean, I don't really see how anyone could dispute him being one of the best offensive minds in football. It would be disingenuous to suggest otherwise IMO.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

One of my favorite characters from another board is Big Tastey - interesting comment he made about bama threatening Lane if he took the AU job...

image.thumb.png.bd69fa9729912f41a9bbc4c40184dea3.png

• Like 1
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, Tigerpro2a said:

so I wasnt really directing that part of my post to you (probably should have said that), but I will play along anyway. Just a quick look up of Total offensive CFB Rankings by year is pretty telling. 

So he brought Alabama's Offense out of the 20th century. 

in 2017, his 1st year as HC of the Owls, they didn't rank in the top 50 in Total Offense. In 2018 , They were a top 10 offense in the country.  He followed that up with another top 15 offense in 2019.

2020 Ole Miss, Top 3 Offense. 2021 Ole Miss- #4 Total offense. So far in 2022, he has the #4 total offense.

I mean, I don't really see how anyone could dispute him being one of the best offensive minds in football. It would be disingenuous to suggest otherwise IMO.

Only stat u should have to provide is what Kiffin did with Blake Sims at Bama.  That was a miracle in and of itself. Also says something that Saban brought Kiffin in to revolutionize the Bama offense from ground n pound to spread system.  Main reason I like Kiffin is he don't have to have 1 type QB to win with. He can win with every type of QB. Our QB recruiting is bout to take a drastic leap forward. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

It's a foregone conclusion it will be Kiffin. Only question is when is it announced 

This Sunday or perhaps next Monday has the potential to be a super-fun day for us.  I will not get any work done :bananadance:

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, BornAU76 said:

This Sunday or perhaps next Monday has the potential to be a super-fun day for us.  I will not get any work done :bananadance:

My preference is Friday.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Bro Johnny Mac said:

Posted on Facebook by some bammer friends.. still 😄 

68A7844B-E912-4732-9E51-6160A503B1EA.jpeg

What’s really funny about that is bammer’s had 6 full time coaches since ‘96 (Stallings, Dubose, Franchione, Price, Shula, Saban) and Auburn’s had 5 (Bowden, Tubbs, Chizik, Gus, Harsin), so they can spin up all the innuendo that Auburn hires and fires coaches they want, but it simply isn’t true.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, AUINSY said:

What’s really funny about that is bammer’s had 6 full time coaches since ‘96 (Stallings, Dubose, Franchione, Price, Shula, Saban) and Auburn’s had 5 (Bowden, Tubbs, Chizik, Gus, Harsin), so they can spin up all the innuendo that Auburn hires and fires coaches they want, but it simply isn’t true.

Bammers have short memories...

They can’t remember anything before Saban or their last case of natural light..

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Only stat u should have to provide is what Kiffin did with Blake Sims at Bama.  That was a miracle in and of itself. Also says something that Saban brought Kiffin in to revolutionize the Bama offense from ground n pound to spread system.  Main reason I like Kiffin is he don't have to have 1 type QB to win with. He can win with every type of QB. Our QB recruiting is bout to take a drastic leap forward. 

Yes. I co-sign all of this. But he has to invest  and make defense a priority as HC. Was not his concern as an OC, and so far does not seem to be that big of a deal as a HC. I also wonder what his recruiting was like as the OC @ Bama. He checks the box on offense, I want to hear Lane (if hired) speak more about defense and his recruiting philosophy as a HC.

5 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

After Kiffin is hired. Keep an eye out for him to hire Champ as his DC... Just sayin.....

You seriously think Mushchamp will come back here after what he said about influencers at Auburn?