Get on Board the Lane Train!

AU-24

5 minutes ago, Viper said:

If AU were to hire a certain NFL HOF camped out in the next state to the West, Top 5 sprinkles would become a monsoon.

He’s in the HOF as a player. Not a coach. If we’re going that route why not just hire Peyton Manning?

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

24 minutes ago, woodford said:

He’s in the HOF as a player. Not a coach. If we’re going that route why not just hire Peyton Manning?

My instincts are if manning was  doing exactly same thing at jax st, most of the anti DSers would be willing to sell their house to get him. Magically the P5 issue would be irrelevant.

Edited by auburnatl1
  • Like 7
  • Love 1

10 minutes ago, woodford said:

It was merely a distinction so to not confuse with the guy in Oxford.

34 minutes ago, Viper said:

If AU were to hire a certain NFL HOF camped out in the next state to the West, Top 5 sprinkles would become a monsoon.

It's amazing how many people have convinced themselves of this without a shred of evidence.  Is Deion working 100 hour weeks at JSU?  That's what it's going to take for a coach to get us caught up.

30 minutes ago, woodford said:

If Peyton was actually in the coaching biz, he'd get a P5 offer tootsweet from someone

A&M and Gus Malzahn's Auburn teams are proof that recruiting alone will not win games... But you stand a much better chance than relying on coaching and scheming as we've witnessed under Harsin.

But unlike the previous two teams, Deion is much more of a CEO type. If Auburn is willing to throw money at coordinators (as reported) then I don't see how getting Deion is that much of an experiment as some fear.

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, auburnatl1 said:

My instincts are if manning was  doing exactly same thing at jax st, most of the anti DSers would be willing to sell their house to get him. Magically the P5 issue would be irrelevant.

No, I would still have major questions for someone with very limited coaching experience at the FCS level. You want it be a certain line of thinking, but I'm looking at a HC from a football point of view. Nothing else. Because he will be coaching football.

Only positive Peyton would have over Deion is if he were developing great QB's (and able to recruit his nephew).

7 minutes ago, JBiGGiE said:

A&M and Gus Malzahn's Auburn teams are proof that recruiting alone will not win games... But you stand a much better chance than relying on coaching and scheming as we've witnessed under Harsin.

But unlike the previous two teams, Deion is much more of a CEO type. If Auburn is willing to throw money at coordinators (as reported) then I don't see how getting Deion is that much of an experiment as some fear.

He's not my number 1 and I've certainly warmed up to him, but I'd like to see who he could assemble on his staff. They would be doing most of the in-game coaching if I had to guess.

26 minutes ago, icanthearyou said:

In order to get Kiffen, we likely have to make him the highest paid coach in college football.

Kiffen is a very good coach.  But,,, he isn't that good.

So we “overpay” for a very good coach. Why are people so hung up on his salary? As a percentage of future FB revenue its just not that big of a deal. And our last 3 HCs were brought in on lower end of the conference salaries. We then got lower end of the conference results. Auburns going big for once. Imagine Kiffin vs Smart or Kiffin vs Saban with a competitive roster for the first time in his career. Auburn with Kiffin will make us one of the most hated teams in the conference. Think about the buzz when we go on the road. Itll be awesome. Well be relavent again for the fist time in years. Well have one of the best offensive minds in football calling plays. Recruits will take notice when he visits. Is he a risky hire? Any coach is, but I think hes a great choice.

Edited by CR
  • Like 3

38 minutes ago, dyehardfanAU said:

It's amazing how many people have convinced themselves of this without a shred of evidence.  Is Deion working 100 hour weeks at JSU?  That's what it's going to take for a coach to get us caught up.

The reasons have been discussed ad nauseum throughout this forum.

If you don't see it, you never will until he does build that P5 empire.

3 minutes ago, CR said:

So we “overpay” for a very good coach. Why are people so hung up on his salary? As a percentage of future FB revenue its just not that big of a deal. And our last 3 HCs were brought in on lower end of the conference salaries. We then got lower end of the conference results. Auburns going big for once. Imagine Kiffin vs Smart or Kiffin vs Saban with a competitive roster for the first time in his career. Auburn with Kiffin will make us one of the most hated teams in the conference. Think about the buzz when we go on the road. Itll be awesome. Well be relavent again for the fist time in years. Well have one of the best offensive minds in football calling plays. Recruits will take notice when he visits. Is he a risky hire? Any coach is, but I think hes a great choice.

If it comes down to a buyout,,, you will understand. 

• Like 1

Just now, icanthearyou said:

If it comes down to a buyout,,, you will understand. 

So who do you want?

5 minutes ago, Viper said:

The reasons have been discussed ad nauseum throughout this forum.

If you don't see it, you never will until he does build that P5 empire.

I'm willing to let someone else take that gamble.

28 minutes ago, icanthearyou said:

In order to get Kiffen, we likely have to make him the highest paid coach in college football.

Kiffen is a very good coach.  But,,, he isn't that good.

No. We don't. The most Ole Miss can guarantee him is four years. AU can guarantee him 5+ years. Advantage AU.

They are Ole Miss. We are Auburn. History, recruiting, resources, facilities. Need I say more? Advantage AU.

It will not take much more than what Ole Miss is proposing to sign him.

1 minute ago, Viper said:

No. We don't. The most Ole Miss can guarantee him is four years. AU can guarantee him 5+ years. Advantage AU.

They are Ole Miss. We are Auburn. History, recruiting, resources, facilities. Need I say more? Advantage AU.

It will not take much more than what Ole Miss is proposing to sign him.

You are thinking as a fan.  Think like Kiffen.

Just now, icanthearyou said:

DEION, DEION, DEION

Id be pumped for him as well. From the beginning I wanted Deion, Kiffin or Freeze. Looks like weve got a real shot at one of those guys at least. Its not just about one guy for me.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, icanthearyou said:

You are thinking as a fan.  Think like Kiffen.

I'm thinking as a University. We trump anything and everything Ole Miss can offer him, both monetary and non-monetary. AU is holding the cards, not Lane Kiffin.

We do not have to make him the highest paid HC to sign him. He makes 7.25M/Year for 4 years. Let's say Ole Miss recently proposed to him another 4 years at 7.5M/Year. That's 30M guaranteed. AU can offer him 6 years at 8M/Year. That's 48M guaranteed. In the Top 10 of highest paid HCs, but not THE highest paid.

30M or 48M? Plus you get WAY better recruiting, resources and facilities. Plus Jimmy Sexton is going to get you a much better buyout. If you were thinking like Kiffin, which would you choose?

BTW - If AU does hire him, can this forum create a sticky thread to make certain how his last name is spelled?

5 minutes ago, dyehardfanAU said:

Kiffin paired with a good DC and a boatload of NIL $$$.

Kiffin is finally going to land a good DC. Interesting.

And he's bailed on everyone else, but will suddenly shed his sliminess, become a saint and won't dare bail on AU. Interesting.

• Facepalm 3

30 minutes ago, dyehardfanAU said:

Kiffin Almost anyone paired with a good DC and a boatload of NIL $$$.

Somehow we've got the right formula, but the wrong catalyst

9 minutes ago, JBiGGiE said:

Somehow we've got the right formula, but the wrong catalyst

Sure, we don't want to match up the best offensive mind in CFB with a strong DC because...why?

• Like 1